“hair in my salad. Then for it to be denied by the owner.”

Sugarcane Cafe Bistro
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Comber
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Irish, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Eclectic little Bistro in Comber Square. Now recognised in The Georgina Campbell Guide Ireland. Winner of the 2014 Best Eatery and best licences premises at the Ards business awards. We source great tasting local produce, mostly from within Co. Down. We are open 7 days a week from 9am with a gorgeous Bistro menu running nightly from 5pm Wed to Sun. Join us for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a coffee and cake.
Comber
“hair in my salad. Then for it to be denied by the owner.”
Reviewed 29 October 2010

3 times we have tried this bistro and on all three occasions we have had some problem with the standard of the food. Having said that if the staff took a simple complaint seriously then the problems with the food could be rectified. The service training in the establishment is awful. Service is slow. The owner takes any complaint very badly. To the point were she denied that my wife had a complaint. I feel that they are pushing a substandard service on the people of Comber.

2 Thank WillHoey
pmturner, Owner at Sugarcane Cafe Bistro, responded to this review, 15 November 2010
We as owners take our business very seriously and indeed any complaints made to us. I very clearly remember this incident that occurred. I will not be drawn into any counter response other than to state we have a very loyal following that we believe is down to our customer service and also the standard of the produce we serve. We do not serve up cheap or badly cooked produce and all our kitchen staff wear suitable clothing including hats in the kitchen.
Despite our firm belief that the meal was of a very high standard we offered a replacement meal and neither myself or another member of staff saw any visible sign of any hair on the returned plate of food.

Belfast,Northern Ireland
“Really excellent food in the bistro.”
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I have been in Sugarcane many times for coffee and lunch etc. but never for their evening bistro. We got an e-mail advising us about this with an offer and decided to go on a Friday evening. We booked, but it wasn't too busy. It retains the same relaxed atmosphere, but the food was really from somewhere that wins awards for its food and was a delight. I had a fresh crab meat salad for starter and sea bream for main, both tasted so good and the ingredients fresh. My 8 yo daughter was there too and they kindly offered to make her whatever she wanted and cheese on toast was the order of the day. This was done without any fuss or hassle and was greatly appreciated. I would have no hesitation in returning.

1 Thank TheBish
northern ireland
“Awesome food, lovely atmosphere!”
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I enjoyed a lovely meal in sugarcane recently, i had eaten lunch before but haden realised there are open late for dinner. The food was fab really great selection and all local food! They also had good promotions on for couples, to make your bill slightly cheaper! The service and atmosphere was also very good more like a nice restaurant in a big city. For a town like Comber with not a great selection, sugarecane is a real gem!

1 Thank pophead4