“Lovely getaway”

The Old Schoolhouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Comber B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We arrived just before a huge storm. We made our way inside and had some trouble finding where to check in. When we finally found some help, we were shown to our rooms. They were warm and well-appointed. Surprisingly, all of the rooms were named for American presidents, each of whom had Ulster roots, we were told later. The rooms are about to get a makeover, according to a sign in the rooms, so I am guessing that the decor will be changed in 2014. The beds were okay, but not particularly comfortable. I hope that these will be changed as well. Other than that, the rooms were spotless, the bathroom spacious, and the staff friendly. We ate in the hotel restaurant which was luxurious, enjoying local, seasonal flavors as part of the price fixed menu for the holidays. The covered walkway came in very handy between dinner and bedtime. In the morning, we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast, with eggs made to order and a number of other treats available. I would recommend this location for a hospitable stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank noonles
There are newer reviews for The Old Schoolhouse Inn

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We decided to try a first ever Christmas Day dinner away from home and I don't believe we could possibly have chosen a better location than the Old Schoolhouse. Party of six plus baby superbly catered for. Food outstanding for all five course (sauce reduction on the main course incredible) and an excellent and at all times attentive staff. Many thanks to all concerned. Already seriously considering a return for Christmas 2014!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have eaten at The Old Schoolhouse Inn several times since it had been renovated in June. The service is excellent and the food superb. My family, friends and fiancé all agree - we have booked to have our wedding reception there next June.

The décor and ambiance of the restaurant is lovely - smart yet relaxed. All the staff are friendly and welcoming and extremely professional. The menu is diverse and I have eaten some of the best food I have ever tasted in this restaurant. The house red and white wine are both delicious and reasonably priced. A meal in this restaurant is more of an experience rather than just to 'fill a hole'.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. I will be back many times between now and my wedding!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank amy03xx
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I recently dined at the Old Schoolhouse Inn restaurant, with my husband and friends. It was the first time any of us had eaten there since its refurbishment under new management. The restaurant is now super-modern, with minimal decor, in contrast to its previous collection of schoolroom memorabilia. Just a school bell in the entrance to remind guests of the origins of the building.
The bar is furnished with comfortable custom-built armchairs, and a pleasant place for pre-dinner drinks.
The menu was full of locally-produced food, a good selection, and it was beautifully artistically presented, and exquisitely full of flavour. The service was exemplary, attentive staff well versed in the contents of the menu, yet not over-intrusive.
The only criticism we had was that once the restaurant filled up, it became very noisy, probably due to the minimalist decor - although one wall is covered with padded velvet, the rest of the walls are bare, and one wall has large windows, all of which reflect the sound. The staff were appreciative of our mention of this - they will probably take action on remedying the situation quite soon, we felt.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank StephanieO34
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My wife and I bought the dinner B&B deal and were not disappointed. The food was really great. A novel menu which delighted and excited the taste buds. Great flavours subtly assembled to produce wonderful plates of food.

The dining room makeover perfectly matches what this talented young chef sets out to do. The food is complimented by the high standard of friendliness and service.

Next stage is hopefully coming soon and that is to refurbish the 8 rooms to complete the overall package.

Congratulations and we'll done to all including the 'retired' Avril and Terry who should be very proud of Will.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2013

An amazing experience from start to finish. Immaculate food, excellent service. A rising star at an exceptionally affordable price. Accommodation is more than adequate with an outstanding breakfast! Looking forward to returning.

1  Thank Susan G
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This was my first visit since Will Brown took the helm at The Old Schoolhouse Inn.
Lots of rave reviews from friends inspired me to give it a go.
Perfect temperature and beautiful, subtle décor created an instantly good mood. The delicious Irish cider served further contributed to a great first impression.
There was an offering to suit all budgets which was a well judged move.
Every course was fabulous and well presented and my friends and myself were suitably impressed.
I generally prefer more rustic and realistic food but simply couldn't find fault as the flavour matched up with the presentation.
I would definitely return ASAP where I had any reasonable excuse for a celebration.
Very well done.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sheknowsyouknow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Comber
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crawfordsburn
Dufferin Coaching Inn
Dufferin Coaching Inn
#1 of 1 in Killyleagh

Been to The Old Schoolhouse Inn? Share your experiences!