“Great value B&B”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2014

A well-located B&B with most welcoming and hospitable hosts. Very comfortable bed, super breakfast; room too warm at night though when the summer duvet replaces the winter one that will be resolved. Overall - definitely one to recommend.

2  Thank JeffB64CPR
There are newer reviews for The Old Schoolhouse Inn

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Amazing place. Attractive building, stylish decor. Great menu. Food was excellent, and wine fantastic. Good value for the quality of the food.

2  Thank rovsingg
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I had been waiting to get to the Schoolhouse for ages. I have followed Will on Twitter for a while and was always impressed by the photography and description of his dishes and was not disappointed when I finally got to see (and taste!) them in the flesh.

We have eaten in some of the finest Michelin-starred restaurants in the UK and abroad and it is not exaggeration to say that Will delivers food that is up there with the very best. I could quite happily have ordered every dish on the menu and my eventual choices did not disappoint. The corned beef started was light years removed from the sort of sandwiches I used to have in packed lunches at school, my lamb main course was mouth-wateringly delicious and the rhubarb and yoghurt dessert was a delight. My wife was equally pleased with her choices of chicken, more chicken and her dessert. A fine local cheeseboard rounded off the meal perfectly.

A word of praise for the drinks, as well. A fantastic cellar and the staff were kind enough to supply us with complimentary glasses of Prosecco as we were celebrating our anniversary.

We had chosen to stay B&B and enjoyed first class service from Will's dad, Terry, the following morning, with a filling and delicious Ulster Fry for breakfast. The Guinness wheaten bread baked by his mum was also something to behold!

A fantastic experience and we cannot wait to return. Will is certainly delivering some of the very finest food in Northern Ireland. Just hope I can save enough to book the whole place out for my upcoming 40th birthday!

2  Thank Stuart G
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had the taster menu and it was faultless - imaginative and absolutely superb. I fear the chef's endeavours are sold short at the service delivery end. Our third bottle of white was delivered abruptly, un chilled, un opened and without any eye contact at all. Pretty much dumped on our table. Unfair on the other staff who were attentive and professional.
At around 1050 I we asked for a taxi to be ordered. We were told the earliest was 2am. I then rang the local taxi firm who arrived 20 minutes later.....BIZARRE I have no idea what went wrong there.

I'd go back for the food and be a little more forthright should I feel service needs hauled up.

3  Thank Trumph
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This was one of the best meals that we have had in N. Ireland. We were well received by the staff and had excellent friendly service all evening. The food was of a very high standard and thoughtfully presented. Most of it was locally produced and the Strangford mussels were excellent.
The only negative comment is that the 'padded walls' are unattractive. However we will return for the food.

2  Thank JAMES P