“New chef and new menu”
Review of Ducks Inn

Ducks Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aberlady
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Sitting in the bistro at Duck's relishing the new menu. Started with a lovely creamy Jerusalem artichoke soup, toasted artichoke on a spot of chestnut purée served in a light white soup. Followed by perfect venison, red and tender served on salsify purée with wild chanterelle and a light sauce. The potato mash was the creamiest I have had in a while with a hint of nutmeg. We had space for dessert so I went for a creme
caramel - excellent.
The new chef Paulo has previously worked in a Michelin star restaurant and it shows. Absolutely a must and worth the wee trip out from Edinburgh.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lindesay I
There are newer reviews for Ducks Inn

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We take the family to Ducks a few times a year and have always been delighted with the food, wine choice, atmosphere, bar games and service. The new menu is terrific and well worth a trip to sample the delights of the Argentinian Head Chef. While not Michelin starred yet, I wouldn't be surprised if one arrives in the future. I have had my sales team up in East Lothian many times over the last 5 years and they have always really enjoyed the hotel, food and overall experience. The location is a Golfer's Dream.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank R M
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Rooms clean but in definite need of a facelift. Our double room was 2 'extremely creaky' singles pushed together, with a duvet which did not cover both adequately.
Squeaky doors which I'm certain could easily be fixed with a little WD40?
Food overpriced for what you get. My husband ordered 'fish & chips', I wouldn't think it would be too much to expect a slice of fish, nope .... 2 fish fingers! £11.50
I ordered steak (medium) and mash potatoes £22.50. Steak was well done and mash had so much butter/milk added that it was runny. And as for the £12 cheeseboard, what a joke!
Staff were very nice. Although when Malcolm asked about our meal and my husband mentioned the quantity of fish, he clearly was not happy and ignored us for the remainder of our stay. Not very professional.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Yvonne L
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I have been to Ducks several times and have always had a good meal. We tried the new menu today. Opted for the evening dinner menu and everything was very tasty. The portion sizes were perfect to allow me to have 3 courses! It was also very reasonably priced. Great local restaurant and we will definitely be back again soon!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Gracie1510
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Good location for golfers but our twin room was small and needed refurbishment, as did most of the hotel. The shower fitting was hanging off the wall and the beds appeared elderly. Our meal in the bistro was barely adequate for 4 hungry golfers and all things considered our visit was over-priced. Friendly staff failed to compensate for this.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank Shadwellian
Reviewed 1 November 2013

What a let down. I have always wanted to visit this restaurant as Malcolm Duck has such a good reputation. On arriving I immediately began to suspect that my visit may not be a satisfactory one. The decor is extremely tired and the restaurant and bar area dark and uninteresting. We were handed menus and wine list by a semi competant waiter. The proof of the pudding was in the eating. My chowder was obviously frozen and defrosted and was pretty much a slop although tasted ok. My 'home made' bread roll had clearly been microwaved so when cooled was like a piece of inedible elastic! Equally my parnter's burger was not much better with the extra £1.50 cheese being omitted initially. However, when it did arrive it was nt worth having. We decided to move on and have a sweet and coffee at another establishment. The situation of the hotel is fabulous but requires a huge revamp in both the kitchen and the front of house.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank cadge2013
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Great place to stay when golfing in the area, but probably would not take the wife there. Good breakfast but the evening meal was a let down edible but no Michelin star. Rooms are basic and getting a bit tired

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank davefarnhill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberlady
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Dunbar
No. 12 Quality Street B&B
No. 12 Quality Street B&B
#4 of 5 in North Berwick

Been to Ducks Inn? Share your experiences!