“Disappointed”

Ducks Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Aberlady
Price range: US$29 - US$65
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ducks Restaurant is an intimate two AA Rosette fine dining restaurant with a long history originating in Edinburgh’s New Town, with just ten tables it is one of the best in East Lothian. It has an A la Care Menu and two tasting menus one of which is vegetarian. Ducks restaurant is open WEDNSAY to SUNDAY, November to end February. March to October it is open Wednesday to Saturday
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Nice place service is first class. But the cost and value? Starter I had prawns on skewers £8.45 only three given savoured every moment of the taste. Then had burger meal which was very different on presentation I did enjoy but won't order again. Had a side salad £3 only lettice and dressing nothing else. I thought side salad included tomatoes cucumber? Did not order a side of lettice!! Thought it was a bit mean on only three prawns for money. They did ask if every thing was ok. I did not want to embarrass the others. They had small fish chips batter lovely. £6 ish. Chips arrived in the smallest dish I have ever seen. Just felt let down. Not asking for huge plates. But looks like paid a lot for hardly any thing. The quality was ok. But I won't be back. One person in our group enjoyed every thing. I may have chosen wrong??

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Tropper89

Richmond, United Kingdom
“Chance visit for dinner, remarkable wine list,new chef,excellent start”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We were staying nearly next door and decided to have a night out. Unpretentious from the outside we were flabbergasted by the wine list and enjoyed a Mosel from the 80's. Mr Duck just returned from holiday and was concerned his new young chef might not be up to scratch, he certainly was. All beautifully presented and enhanced by a long chat with an attentive host

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Dr CK C
Lancashire
“Brilliant breakfast”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Called in for breakfast last Monday morning, four of us and our two Labradors. We got a great welcome, including the dogs and were served a brilliant breakfast by pleasant staff. Mrs. Duck in particular was very welcoming.

• Visited June 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth a visit....”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Visited Ducks yesterday ( Sunday), early evening.
We had mussels for starters, and fish & chips, and burger for mains. No complaint about any. My burger was great, and as another reviewer has mentioned, much easier to eat and enjoy when presented as two halves - excellent! Three of us had the fish & chips ( the smaller portion is SO well priced, and a great thing to offer!) My husband had a full portion and proclaimed it to be the best fish & chips he has ever had. The restaurant was quiet, only two other tables occupied, and I really don't think people realise how good this place is.
There was a minor mistake on the bill which was immediately rectified, and the manager came to apologise. Some of the waiting staff are new, but all are friendly and attentive.
Unfortunately, we didn't have room for a dessert, though I was very tempted by the Lemon Curd with raspberries and italian meringue. Hopefully it will still be on the menu the next time. They have a new chef, and a good mix of prices on the menu to suit most budgets.
If you haven't been for a while, or haven't tried this restaurant at all yet, it is worth a visit.

• Visited May 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Pub grub done great”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

On returning from a Spanish golfing trip with the 'boys' my wife suggested a meal at Ducks to finish off my holiday and reacquaint myself with the family. Perfect. Just like the proceeding food. Me first; coming home with not the greatest of appetites, I opted for a simple haddock and chips and opted for a small portion. For under £7 it was a delicious bargain - a light and crispy batter, soft succulent fish. My wife went for a vegetable curry (courgette and sweet potato I think) and it was probably one of the best vegetable curries I have tasted. Rich and creamy, the garam masala packed a gentle punch and the sweet and juicy cherry tomatoes were "to die for" to quote my wife (I was allowed one and she was right). My daughter opted for the burger, which rather than being served up as one big fat meat patty (which I can never understand) was sensibly served as two slimmer patties which enables you to get four crispy and tasty exteriors rather than the usual two. And it makes them more manageable. Onto 'crumblegate'. A previous review was not loving the apple crumble, which was deconstructed as a baked apple, stuffed with crumble and served with a vanilla-laden jug of custard. What's not to like? It was fun, tasty and the perfect demonstration of what Ducks does superbly; pub grub that goes that extra mile. A warm and friendly welcome, fantastic food - it was good to be home.

• Visited April 2014