“Excellent soup and friendly service”

Smeaton Nursery Gardens and Tea Shop
Cuisines: British
Description: Lovely old fashioned plant nursery - beautiful plants, no gift shop - and wonderful tea shop housed in former greenhouses. Serves coffee, tea, lunch and fabulous cakes.
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We popped in for lunch yesterday as it was a beautiful day. Sitting in the conservatory with the sun shining through the windows listening to the buzz of conversation was very pleasant. I had the leek and potato soup and my husband had the banoffee cup cake and coffee. The soup, as always, was delicious and the cupcake very good! Although the restaurant was very busy, the staff remained helpful and cheerful and did their best to ensure all tables were served quickly. I am a regular customer and looking forward to my next visit.

3  Thank lovetolunch2014
There are newer reviews for Smeaton Nursery Gardens and Tea Shop

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stopped by to have some lunch and have no problem with seating ourselves or waiting for someone to take our order, However we do have a problem with the waitress bringing drinks and then food to two other tables within spitting distance of us and not even acknowledging we were there, despite our best attempts at attracting her attention. After 15 minutes we gave up hope of ever getting any kind of service and left. Waiting staff should receive a severe reprimand after this disgraceful show of rudeness

4  Thank Travelandbooks
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I visited Smeaton in Jan on a trip visiting friends in North Berwick and after eating in many cafes in the area I was totally blown away by the location (a tearoom situated in a well organised garden centre) and the cakes, this place is a must and so is the coffee walnut cake and the guinness cake!

Tea was served in a lovely old teapot with china cups while birds feed on the windows, brill. Everyone will be returning from ourgroup of 6.

4  Thank Emily G
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have visited Smeaton a few times. It is an interesting garden centre in a lovely setting with a good selection of plants.

The tea room at the bottom of the garden is a nice place to stop off for tea or coffee. The cakes and scones are home made and anything I have had there has been good quality and enjoyable. The staff, both young and more mature, are helpful and friendly whether the place is quiet or busy. In the summertime it is lovely to enjoy your afternoon tea outside at one of the tables but when the weather is not so good it is warm and pleasant inside.

5  Thank Edingirl
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Always make it a priority to stop in at Smeaton,mostly when down visiting at Tyninghame.Excellent selection of healthy plants in the garden centre,where I have spent a few worthwhile pounds over the years!...followed by the usual wee walk down to the delightful tea room, where homemade soup and cake followed by a pot of tea really rounds of the day.Great setting whatever the season and the staff are friendly and helpful,even when this place is bursting full on most weekends when I visit.

7  Thank ComfortDog