“Unusually spacious period cottage with enticingly...”
other travellers have booked this property
Stunning open plan dining area Open plan kitchen
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Stunning open plan dining area
Open plan kitchen
Dining table to seat up to 8 guests
Snug sitting room with wood burning stove
Ground floor bathroom with roll top bath
Shower room on first floor level
First floor landing
Family bedroom with high loft bed and a super king sized bed
High loft bed suitable for little ones.
Double bedroom on first floor
Smart TV
Perfect dining area outside
Front garden
Decked patio which is accessed directly though large sliding doors
Patio area with plenty of seating round the fire pit
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Skislopef...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Unusually spacious period cottage with enticingly tiered garden”
Reviewed 13 August 2015 for a stay in June 2015

In need of a much needed break Driftwood Cottage gave us what we needed. There were a couple of problems on arrival which were quickly dealt with by Gillian. The only negative comment would be that a couple of wooden spoons and a pair of scissors would have been helpful. The book selection was the best we have ever encountered in a cottage and something for everyone. There were up to date games and the old family favourites too had been well thought about to keep everyone happy. The upstairs double bed was very comfortable with spotless linen. The furnishings were comfortable and clean. The garden was a delight and well planned with plenty of space for outside eating and with a large table for a family. It is an old cottage so could be cool in winter but since it was one of the hottest weeks for years we never had a chance to try the stove. Parking although limited was available for a single car within a short distance. East Linton is a pretty village with many amenities and trains run from nearby Drem or North Berwick to Edinburgh in 20 minutes.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Bright sunny lounge opening to south facing garden.
Liked least: Back door awkward to lock
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
17 Aug 2015
I am delighted you enjoyed your much needed break at Driftwood Cottage. It is so important to us that our guests enjoy the cottage. The woodburning stove in the snug room is wonderful and really would only be needed should you wish to add to the atmosphere, the central heating is very good. We would love to welcome you back
Haslingden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

17 Aug 2015
So pleased you enjoyed your week at Driftwood Cottage. East Linton is just a fantastic place to visit and perfect if you are bringing a dog. I hope to see you again
Andre P
“Stunning, magnificent stay”
Reviewed 10 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

What a beautiful cottage ... So much more than we expected .. Perfectly groomed & kept gardens ... Magnificently in full bloom ... Inside was spotless ... Everything immaculately presented ... Fresh crisp white linen ... Spacious & stylishly decorated & furnished ... Lots of attention to detail ... Delicious welcome box of chocolates on arrival .. We filled the house to capacity with our visiting family & we loved every moment of our stay. Built puzzles & played board games. Thanku for providing a home away from home.

13 Jul 2015
Thank you so much for your lovely review, it makes it all worth while. It is so important to us that our guests enjoy the cottage. We have a gardener now who looks after the garden and very good cleaners too. I will pass on your comments to them. Driftwood is looking amazing just now with all the flowers , summer is a beautiful time to visit us.

apett2015
Markinch, United Kingdom
“Pleasant, but in need of a deep clean”
Reviewed 28 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015

My bridal party and myself stayed at Driftwood, for the run up to our wedding in East Lothian. First impressions are all that count they say. My first impression was that the front garden was untended, and in need of a good seeing to, including painting the front gate, and weeding. This trend continued to some degree inside the house. The house reeks of a rushed DIY job, with paint on most surfaces, where it shouldn't be, like wood work etc.
I found most of the things in the kitchen sticky....and the up stairs carpets where quite stained..
The oven was also so covered in grease it smoked the whole house out!

Second impression, was that there was no welcome note, wifi info/other info. Or even a bottle of wine like I have received in so many other places. Some rentals give you a whole hamper!

I would say, there was an over all lack of personal touch.

It comes down to standard, at the end of the day. You might think a bit of paint splatter, cooking grease or dusty bookshelves are ok in your own home. But when renting a property, I for one have higher standers.
However the décor is very tasteful and modern, with great big windows at the rear of the property. The bathroom fittings are good, with excellent water pressure for a good shower. The fridge is nice and big, and the beds are comfortable.

I would stress that the property really needs a deep and thorough clean, which frankly as a paying costumer, I shouldn't have to point out.

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: The spacious light decor.
Liked least: the need for a good clean
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway People with pets
12 Jun 2015
I am so sorry that the cottage did not reach the standards for this bridal party. I really wish I had known that the cottage was going to be used prior to their wedding and as the honeymoon venue, I certainly would have ensured that lots of little extras were put into place for their arrival. The price for this particular booking was for a 4 night break was only £400.00 for 7 guests, we provided high chairs and travel cots free of charge too.

I think the brides suggestions of additional items, like chocolates, flowers and a hamper is a really lovely idea and something I will do, for the next bridal party. I do understand that standards need to be high not only for a wedding party but for everyone. My cottage is a two hundred year old cottage with loads of charm there is a beautiful garden and as such does need regular attention. The cottage has had a deep clean and I employ a professional team of cleaners. There is a gardener too employed to attend to the garden every Saturday. I know a wedding is one of the most special days and that everything must be perfect for this bridal party. I hope that we can accommodate many more wedding parties in the future, however please let me know so I can make sure there are lots of little extras for you to enjoy.
amesthomp
Amble, United Kingdom
“Not great.”
Reviewed 29 December 2014 for a stay in November 2014
people found this review helpful

There was a group of six of us (plus dog) stayed here for my fathers 60th birthday. East Linton is a lovely village with plenty of walks nearby, two lovely pubs and a few shops too. The cottage is pretty easy to find, on the street along from the Co-op, it's a pretty busy street so parking was a hassle sometimes but I suppose we did have three cars.

The cottage is a great size, plenty of room in the bedrooms and living room area, but the decor was pretty poor. The downstairs bedroom was painted terrible, it looked like it had been done in the dark, there were also patches like this in the sitting room too. The kitchen was pretty well equipped but every cup had a chip/crack in it and a lot of other things were grubby looking.

There is a yurt in the garden which we all thought would be nice to sit in but it was in a very bad state and smelt very foisty so this never happened.

I have stayed in cottages before and you quite often get a welcome letter left, even flowers or bottles of wine, biscuits etc but there was nothing left at all.

I would not stay here again, it is a shame as the cottage could be so much better.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
31 Dec 2014
Thank you for your review, I am so sorry that Driftwood Cottage was not as it normally.would be and that your experience has been disappointing. The cottage is scheduled for repainting and will be completed by February 2015. We have had some problems with the yurt during the torrential rain and unfortunately some guests left the yurt door open again causing rain to come in. The yurt, really is best used during dry weather at the moment, We are considering the best way forward with the yurt, either it will be removed and replaced with a round house or upgraded to ensure it withstands the Scottish winters.

Gillian , Owner
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The fires, the quiet and the space and of course the Yurt
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
York
Reviewed 9 May 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing