“Everything Good” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Gifford
Price range: US$47 - US$47
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edinburgh
“Everything Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

First time at Goblin Ha. Firstly really liked the interior and atmosphere. Secondly the waiter was absolutely brilliant - Dimitr. Knew his stuff, friendly and helpful and cheerful, how waiting staff should be. Lastly the food, really really good. Good choice for the menu and my selection was wolfed down as it was delicious. Already planning my next visit.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank NMcD
Grant O, General Manager at Restaurant at Goblin Ha' @ Gifford, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hello, many thanks for taking the time to share your experience at the Goblin Ha'. Dimitris will be thrilled to get a mention and I am really pleased that you enjoyed your visit.
Many thanks

Musselburgh, United Kingdom
“Fish looked so good but for every mouthful we were picking out bones...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I seem to remember a celebrity chef chastising someone's food because they served fish which hadn't been properly filleted. Something along the lines of you don't want your diners to be picking bones out of their mouths (or in the case of my dad, ending up in A&E because a fish bone was stuck at the back of his throat).

We've always loved the fish at the Goblin Ha' so I was very very disappointed with what was served up yesterday. For starters, the food came on a plate far too small so the fish looked like it was trying to swim away. For goodness sakes, forget the 'trendy' dishes that 'everyone' is using and serve SOUP in a SOUP bowl (that way your patrons won't be scalded by defective dishes-yes I heard the lovely lady scream that she 'had to get her pants off' because your soup was served all over her, I trust she is ok?) and serve me my food on a white plate which best shows off the food and make sure that it's big enough to allow me space to cut up my food without having to try and stop if falling onto the rather unclean table we were seated at. Your waiter, although very charming with a lovely accent has no idea how to clean a table, despite being asked to do so.

Would we return? Not sure. We've dined here a few times over the years but I was not impressed with our most recent visit.

Please do better and we'll give you another try.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dawndyloo
Grant O, General Manager at Restaurant at Goblin Ha' @ Gifford, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Hello, many thanks for taking the time to post your review.
I am really sorry about the excess of bones in your fish - I have passed your comments on to our fishmonger (who fillets for us) and our chef (who should double check every fillet). The fish we have received recently have been huge and clearly our plates cannot cope - we have a choice - cut some fish off before batter, buy bigger plates (but risk complaints when the fish sizes settle down again) or carry on for the short period where we have the issue....
On presentation, I'm afraid that the world moves on and guest expectations are higher than ever in terms of food quality, presentation and value. I can assure you that we would love to use the same old plates that we have had for ever but in order to complete we must invest in the things that guests expect or we will lose out.
I have noted your comments about the waiter who cannot clean tables and he will be dealt with........I was reassured but the "soup lady" that everything was fine before she left - just an unfortunate accident.
Glasgow
“Correction”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I may have inadvertently given a poor review of this restaurant as I think I pressed the 'send' button by mistake! We ate in The Goblin Ha' recently and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the restaurant was very comfortable. The food arrived promptly and was delicious.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank AuntieAgnes
Grant O, General Manager at Restaurant at Goblin Ha' @ Gifford, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Hi there....it's ok, you must have missed the send button as nothing bad was posted!
Great to hear that you enjoyed everything......hopefully we will be able to welcome you back again very soon.
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Great food and fabulous service. We all got something we liked and their was a stuck in his ways grandad, a toddler, a veggie and a vegan, so not bad.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Jacqueline M
Grant O, General Manager at Restaurant at Goblin Ha' @ Gifford, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Hi Jacqueline M, many thanks for your nice comments....really pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Goblin.
Our menu offers a wide choice to suit our varied guests needs and wants. It's all down to our amazing chefs that they consistently produce great freshly prepared food with very few occasions where we run out or fail to please.
Again, many thanks for your comments.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting, great menu and fab staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

relaxed and professional staff and ambiance, good wine list, beer garden and great value for money - thanks - highly recommend!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank lovefrance01
Hello Lovefrance01, interesting name......I won't ask!
Many thanks for your great review.....you are very welcome to come back anytime!