“Comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cathy Caven, Bed & Breakfast

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Musselburgh
Cathy Caven, Bed & Breakfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and our two children stopped here for two nights. Contrary to a previous review we found our family room to be clean and comfortable with tea and coffee facilities. Our mugs were washed before and after use and i can state that the kitchen is clean as I was in it!!! TV in bedroom worked fine and adequate storage and lighting. 'Cathy' upon cleaning our room had noticed that i needed more support so a extra pillow appeared in the bed!!

We used the lounge both evenings choosing to have our night time cuppa in the comfy leather chairs.

Yes there are shared facilities but we found these to be clean with enough toilet roll etc.

Breakfast was yoghurts, fruit juice, cereal, tea coffee, sausage bacon egg tomato beans if you prefer and plenty of toast, tea and coffee. Kept us going until well after lunchtime.

It is what it is - a Bed and Breakfast - but we will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Cathy Caven Bed and Breakfast is akin to a students lodging in the style and cleanliness of the bedroom and shared bathroom/WC facilities. The upstairs toilet appeared not to have been cleaned for a considerable time, the towel was stained, wet and dirty and the handwash had been watered down to an unacceptable consistency. I (Bette) was close to nipping into Poundland to buy some bleach and bathroom cleaner as was my disgust at the fact Brett and I were paying £50 for the privilege of residing in this establishment. The bedroom needed a hoover and dust but the sheets and covers were definitely clean which was a welcome bonus. However, only one cup was provided for complimentary tea or coffee and I was concerned as to how the cup had been washed and dried prior to our arrival. Therefore I did not venture into tea and coffee territory. On inspection of the downstairs bathroom it seemed cleaner but could still do with a good clean. I am a bath girl but nothing, not even my special staying away bath Badedas could tempt me into that tub.
After Brett and I enjoyed a lovely dinner at the nearby Italian, see other review, we returned to the room to find it incredibly hot (not in a good way). Settling down in the comfy bed (it has to be said) with a little bit of Dinner Date on the welcomed LCD television it became unbearably over warm (Brett was behaving) and Brett in a gentlemanly gesture opened the windows. Unfortunately, the very heavy traffic noise outside was worse than the heat and I had to request he close the windows once again. It was an extremely unpleasant and stifling overnight stay resulting in a very disturbed sleep and un-ladylike sweats.
Eventually, at 8.30am myself, the good lady, decided we should leave. I could not muster the courage to attempt breakfast as the bathroom hygiene left me shuddering at the kitchen capers. I could not return to this establishment. I hope this review gives them some hints for future guests. Bette x

Room Tip: Bette says avoid room 3 but maybe avoid rooms 1,2 and 4 also??