“Great hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Aberdour
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Aberdour Hotel on Friday night,was given a warm friendly greeting when we arrived. Requested a double room and was upgraded to a superior double in the stable block which was huge, thank you very much. Gorgeous room and it was great that it had a sofa in it as we were meeting family who we're visiting the area, so it was nice to sit and catch up in a lovely comfortable room. My only issue with the room was the tiles in the shower were a bit dirty, particularly behind the shower apart from that the room was immaculate.
We had dinner at the hotel and the food was great staff were very attentive and a big thank you to Callum for the banter (he is an asset so take care of him lol) breakfast in the morning was fine, asked staff for scrambled egg instead of fried, nothing was to much trouble to them.
Parking is very limited behind the hotel but we got parked no bother.
All I all a great place to stay will be back for lunch in the future when we're over in fife, would definitely stay again thank you

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Fife, Scotland
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Ate here on Friday night, table for 16 as it was a special occasion for my birthday. Arranging with them beforehand was made easy, they even agreed to put on their Steak & Wine deal (£36 per couple). Food was fresh, piping hot and delicious (its not many placed locally that does deep fried white bait!). I had the ribeye steak with pepper sauce which was one of the best ive tasted, and I love my steaks! Service was really good, relaxed, professional and the guy even had a few laughs with us. Will def be back and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed overnight on Valentine's day and chose from the Valentine's special menu in the restaurant.

We had a stable room which was huge. Nice decor and made more cosy by the living flame fire in the fireplace. Bed was huge and really comfortable. I always judge a hotel by how good the shower is, no problems here fantastic water pressure and plenty of it water.

Food was lovely, both dinner and breakfast. We shared the platter starter of mussel popcorn, lobster, squid, black pudding, haggis balls and smoked steak tartare. Really tasty. For main my partner had the sirloin which she says was the best steak she'd had, and I had pork which again was beautifully tender. All the dishes looked fabulous. Dessert was a croissant bread and butter pudding which had the potential to be too heavy after a big meal but was exactly the opposite, delicious.

Breakfast was lovely, full cooked as you'd expect but where was the black pudding???

Have been a visitor on and off for many years, this is the first time under this ownership and they've refreshed the public areas nicely. The bars tidied up and a more stylish place to have an evening meal, the restaurant the same theme but quieter.

All the staff were very pleasant and cheery, nothing too much trouble.

Treat yourself!

Room Tip: Book the superior rooms in the stable block.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
OwnerAH, Owner at Aberdour Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Hello - I was delighted to read you both enjoyed yourselves with us. It's great to get feed back good or bad so we know if we are getting it right or not - so thank you. Look forward to seeing you again soon. Regards Scott
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We have eaten here on numerous occasions(lunch & dinner) and can honestly say every time has been amazing. You can have everyday dishes or something a bit fancy and it is always first class. The staff are really friendly and attentive and it is a very relaxing atmosphere

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Called in on complete off-chance while looking for somewhere in the area. I was welcomed with the smiliest of cheery people, which was very disarming and welcoming. I was then made to feel more than at home aside the open log fire while I hit the internet, as locals drank and ate around me. Feeling like part of the furniture I ventured from a warming coffee to lunch, to booking a room and on to evening meal. Have to say that dinner was quite literally one of the best meals I have had in a very long time! It was perfect and the chefs need to be congratulated (again!). Superb experience, everyone super friendly - but not overly or unpretentiously, just very natural and helpful. Barman was jolly, friendly and a joy to blether with. Superior room was v spacious and toasty, though no bath. All said, this was a damned good spot and I would be back in a shot. Top marks.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Fife
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Having just completed the first leg of the fife coastal walk the Aberdour Hotel was a welcome sight , we were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived a lovely log fire was burning in the bar and the staff were interested and friendly. The beer was great and they tried there best to accommodate my daughters request for soup other than that on the menu. The staff also supplied us with the bus times so we could make the most of the log fire! we are off on the next leg in a few weeks and will certainly be starting out from here :) I should also mention one of our party was 14 and there were no problems with him joining us in the bar - i would deffinatly recommend here to anyone!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Hawsker, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This was our third stay and the reason I'm reviewing again is because it keeps getting better every time we go. We stayed two nights this time, breaking our journey from Ullapool. I cannot find fault in anything. The room is sumptuous. Like a little apartment. The food is out of this world. The second nights meal was one of the best I've ever had.

It's the staff that really make it though. My wife wasn't well on the first night. They offered medication, to plate up food and take it to the room and looked after me when I had to dine alone. We like the place so much that as soon as we got back to Leeds, we decided to break with tradition and book a week here instead of returning to Ullapool and believe me, it takes a LOT to drag me away from there. Roll on May.

Room Tip: Back rooms are quieter and the superior ones are well worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdour
The Woodside Hotel
Bay Hotel
Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kinghorn
Best Western Plus Keavil House Hotel

Been to Aberdour Hotel? Share your experiences!