“Service is the name of the game”
Review of The Golf Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Golf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Crail B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 March 2013

The Golf Hotel is one of these timeless gems that exude simple home comfort. The once-in-a-lifetime passing bar meal guest will have a different experience to peole taking a room for the weekend (or longer). My relationship with Crail goes back 65 years and my experience of the Golf Hotel for the greater part of that time. I would break my comments down into different aspects of the experience.

The Public Bar - This is the original hostelry for the Coaching Inn. It is small and welcoming. The seating and tables are ancient and the wooden floor reflects the tread of a million boots over hundreds of years. The service is friendly, the prices are fair and their are always some good beers to try and a decent selection of malts. You always feel inclined to linger over your pint, whether you choose to watch the sport on the TV or chat with your friends.

The Rooms - There are only five rooms in the hotel, numbered 5 - 9 for some strange reason! They are on two levels above the main public area. Although the hotel is right on the main junction in the village, the rooms are not noisy. My favourite on the top floor has two windows pointing in opposite directions, so there is plenty of light. Bearing in mind the age of the building, there is not a stright line anywhere! Doorpost walls and floors have some interesting angles! Everything is spotless and works well. You always get a great night's sleep (with the help of the Crail air!) There is also a residents' lounge on the middle floor, which is a haven of comfort and peace. It has a certain Edwardian charm, with old comfy chairs and bits of local memorabilia to take the eye. All extremly homely.

Breakfast - This is available whenever suits and is always plentious and tasty. There is the usual wide selection. Smoked haddock and poached egg is a real treat. Toast and coffee is in endless supply. As with all aspects of the hotel, the service is always friendly and efficient. Jackie and her team of young ladies do make you feel that nothing is too much trouble.

Dining - There is the choice of the bottom bar or the main dining room (as well as the beer garden out the back). I find the bottom bar a little dull as it only has one small window. It can be very busy in the summer. The main dining room is bright and welcoming with plenty of well spaced tables of various sizes. There is the normal pub grub menu which runs from lunchtime, with a few daily specials on the board. After 7.00pm, there is a fuller dinner menu with some extra choices (I am a martyr for the lamb shank!) Do not expect haute cuisine - rather, homely fare. Portions are good and the food is always hot. The service is always excellent, so if you have a special request, the staff will be pleased to oblige. Children are made welcome and you never feel rushed.

Special Attention - While I pop in with my wife for an evening meal over the summer, my main use in recent years has been for our annual golf outing. Myself and four pals (used to be more) have two days of golf at Crail around the 21st June every year. We have for many years, stayed at the Golf Hotel for the night between rounds and had our dinner at the end of the first day. We take most of the rooms for the night and Jackie knows exactly who sleeps where. We have our table prepared for a fine dinner and can carouse for as long as we wish! We get an all inclusive package for rooms, dinner and breakfast, which has hardly gone up in the last number of years. The welcome and the service could not be bettered! When I book for the following year, I don't even have to pay a deposit!

The Extra Mile - A few years ago, one of our golfing pals on the annual outing was sadly failing with a progressive dementia condition. We all kept an eye out for him, to ensure he still enjoyed the event. Unfortunately, he woke very early in the morning and went walkabout in a distressed condition. Jackie and her staff were in early and were able to rescue him and look after all his needs until we appeared for breakfast later. Nothing was too much trouble and a potentially bad situation was beautifully resolved.

In conclusion - The Golf Hotel is a unique experience. The more you use it, the more it grows on you. You become a valued part of the family. You will always feel welcome and be treated as an individual. There is nothing "grand" about the hotel but it fits perfectly into the magic experience which is a visit to Crail!

I look forward to enjoying it for many years to come!

Room Tip: There are only five rooms and they are all different
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 March 2013

I have stayed at this Hotel on numerous occasions and will be staying there again this October. Its location for staying and golfing in that part of Fife is second to none with the variety of world class courses available to pay + play. The hotel itself has a warm friendly atmosphere in the bar, the food and service is of a homely feeling. I have read a few reviews that are not very complimentary to this fine establishment and could not disagree more.
As I said earlier, I will be there again in October with a golf club who have used the Golf Hotel for years and looking forward to it again. So if you are looking for accommodation with great food with a smile to match try that place.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I have visited the golf hotel twice for a meal last summer (2012). The first visit was with a group of friends. The food I received was very good and plenty of it but one of my friends meals was wrong, we received an apology and offered a free drink. The second time was terrible. I ordered coriander chicken which on the menu sounded lovely but when it arrived I was far from happy. The meal consisted of cold chicken strips and a small pot of cold coriander sauce. Not what I was expecting and nothing like described as I was expecting something a bit more for the price. What I received was like something you could pick up in a discount food store such as island. I complained after one bite of the dry cold chicken and all I was told was they would mention it to the chef, no apology, no discount. Never again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We had just walked from Anstruther and were very hungry. You know that you better manage your expectations when you see sachets of salad cream on the table. I ordered fish and chips as I thought that it might be a safe bet, but even that was unmemorable. Decor matches food--it all reminded me of when I arrived in the UK in the 1980's-- was surprised not to see Prawn Cocktail on the menu. Service was very slow as well. I give them 3 stars (instead of 2) because the staff were very nice and the kids' portions were very generous. However, I think they need to raise their game. There is a gap in the market in Crail if that is the best on offer.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank kitsi
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We ate here one evening as there is limited choice in Crail. The menu is very good, with lots of seafood and typical Scottish fayre. The service was very good and the food was decent but nothing special. It left us feeling something was lacking but we wouldn't be adverse to visiting again if I was back in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Deciding to have a late lunch in Crail, we stopped in at the Golf Hotel as it had
some enticing fish options on the blackboard outside. My partner chose the scampi and I chose the promising 'Medley of Seafood Platter'-"a mouthwatering delight" according to the menu. When asked what was on the platter, we were told that there would be crab, hot-smoked salmon, prawns, pate etc.
My heart sank when the platter arrived:
one stodgy, potato-laden 'fish cake' (it was a case of find the fish), mackerel pate (ok), some small prawns, cold,over-cooked and very bland poached salmon, some peppered mackerel,
some poor quality smoked salmon and half a plate of undressed salad. My partner's scampi was the usual frozen scampi accompanied by peas and (frozen) chips. The chips served would have been enough to serve four people. Most of the chips returned to the kitchen uneaten as did most of my meal.
The waitress asked if everything was ok and I told her that the meal
was bland and disappointing. To be fair to the waitress, she was friendly and asked if I wanted anything else. When the bill came, the full price was charged and there was no apology for the food. At £13 and £10.25 for each respective meal,the quantity is not in question but the quality and lack of thought put into the food are.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank C H
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Limited choice in town, so went here. Service was quite good, and food edible but uninspiring. As soon as the soup arrived with plastic-style sliced bread I got a whiff of seventies drabness, and this was confirmed by the Carpenters soundtrack that came on shortly afterwards, including the most appropriate "yesterday" song.

The soup had fresh potato in but somehow missed out on the fresh soup taste. The main course was an ample portion but somehow just missed being appetising, despite the use of local fresh fish. The portions were coated in breadcrumbs that seemed lost in a masquerade as supermarket packet fare.

All-in-all I'd say this place needs pepping up a gear or two to make it a bit more of a pleasurable experience...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank hwylasbri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crail
Balcomie Links Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kingsbarns
Kalliope House B&B
Kalliope House B&B
#6 of 9 in Crail

Been to The Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!