“Excellent as always”

and 1 more site!
The Golf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Crail B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Called 5 minutes before descending on them for an unplanned family meal. Ended up dining at 5pm on a Friday evening and the restaurant was already full. We were happy enough to sit in the small lounge where the staff were happy to push tables together to accommodate us. We decided to have the high tea menu. The food was up to its usual high standard and staff were happy to top up the tea throughout. Only disappointment was the pancake and cakes - felt they were all of the same kind of idea but home made cake none the less. Pancake could have been used as a frisbee but edible! Will be back soon no doubt

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Papasmurffsdaughter
golfadmin, Owner at The Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thank you for giving us such great feedback on your TripAdvisor review following your visit to our establishment. We are delighted you enjoyed your experience with us and thank you for taking the time to let us know about it. I have shared all your kind comments with our team and we are all very appreciative. I note your comment about the cakes and pancakes and will look into this.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Graham Guthrie

Reviewed 10 July 2013

My partner and I decided to visit The Golf Hotel for some food because we were staying in the village of Crail.

We walked in and found ourselves in the dining room, which doesn't seem to have been redecorated since the 80s. I'm not sure about the 'atmosphere' people in other reviews are talking about. It's a fairly bright lit room, with unattractive decor, and awful music! Needless to say we didn't fancy spending the rest of our evening there after our food.

The food itself was average at best. The prices are steep for what you are presented with. I had a Chicken Caesar Salad, which was okay. Nothing to rave about. My partner had a Lasagne which he has described as wet, and soup-like with bright orange cheese on top - which came with no side salad chips or anything!

Overall, overpriced. Wont be returning.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Regular visitors here and the food and atmosphere are always superb.
Whether its a quick snack to full meal, The menu choice is vast and the quality of food is excellent.
Always friend fast and efficient service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rickdekikkerfanclub
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I have been visiting Crail for 20 + years from Edinburgh. Drank in the old bar which is smallish but full of character. Stayed in the Hotel a few times an the rooms are spotless and all you need for a goood night's sleep. The dining room could do with a 'wee freshen up', but the staff were friendly. The portions and service were nothing less than you would expect from a small family run hotel. Beats the big five star jobs with staff 'trained to smile and say good morning' without being genuine. We will be back.

1  Thank Francesca121
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel but used both the bar and the restaurant. The bar is pretty small but full of character and the service was quick and very friendly. Really enjoyed it. We weren't as keen on the restaurant itself, the staff were again great and the food was really good - we enjoyed our meal immensely. Tasty and a good sized portion. Would say it was a little pricey but can't have been too over the top as we returned the next evening!

1  Thank pssyche
golfadmin, Owner at The Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Thank you for your positive review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your restaurant experience and our bar. We look forward to seeing you again.

Graham Guthrie

Reviewed 8 June 2013

I had a Great Experience and fantastic service, I would certainly recommend them. The food was nice, well cooked and presented. The portions were good and tasted great, the entire experience (not only in the restaurant) was cost effective. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The location was very good for golf and the area had character.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank johnbhicks
golfadmin, Owner at The Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your positive comments regarding our food and portion size. It is nice to know that we can satisfy you and the majority of people who enjoy eating and drinking at the 'Golf'.

Graham

Reviewed 2 June 2013

We visited the Restaurant tonight (02.06.13) We have been many times over the years as we have a holiday home and go every couple of weeks. We agree with all the other comments and this is the reason I am still giveing it a 5 star review.
Tonight I ordered the mushroom stroganoff, I cannot fault the quality it was delicious but I can fault the quantity, it was extremely poor, in my opinion it was less than a childs portion, this is not good as it is not cheap in the Golf Hotel to eat. Then we had ice cream and strawberries and the strawberries were inedible, which again is the first time this has happened. We will not let this put us off going back, hopefully this will not happen again.
I am writing this hoping the owner reads it, as I was also told he was the chef tonight.

2  Thank Lilymymom
golfadmin, Owner at The Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that my food has been praised as we pride ourselves on good home-cooked dishes. As regards the quantity of the portion I think there might have been a communication problem, and perhaps you were given a pensioners portion, which is a smaller size.

As regards the strawberries, I can only apologise and I will liaise with our supplier to check the quality more thoroughly to stop this happening again.

I see you have a holiday home in Crail, and I would be delighted to meet with you where I can have the opportunity to discuss these issues with you personally rather than through a poor review on tripadvisor. Please contact me on 01333 450206

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crail
Balcomie Links Hotel
Kalliope House B&B
Kalliope House B&B
#6 of 9 in Crail
Sauchope Links Caravan Park

Been to The Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!