Balcomie Links Hotel
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsowners and stafffor saleweekend breakgolf tournamentfantastic viewsexcellent breakfastwalking distancesteak piefeel very welcomecoastal pathtvkingsbarnsfifepubsea
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Sadly I am not able to endorse the many favourable reviews of this Hotel. After a 6 hr drive we were met by the hostess who seemed to be interested only in my bank card. No polite enquiry about our journey. I was handed some papers indicating the hotel had tried to take payment prior to our arrival but had been thwarted by security. I had to pay before I was handed a key. After meeting our granddaughter in St Andrews, she expressed a wish to return to our hotel for dinner. When I telephoned the host to ask if a guest bed could be provided I was told the hotel had none, and an enquiry for a single room met with the same response. We therefore dined at a very good Italian restaurant in St Andrews instead. On returning to our hotel after 11pm we did not see another person in the premises. I tried running a hot bath but the water ran cold. The same thing happened in the morning so we left without staying for breakfast. A very miserable experience indeed.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kaydeeem
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Thank you for taking time to review of your stay at the Balcomie Links Hotel.
I am sorry to hear that your stay with us fell short of your expectations. It is our policy to take the first night stay as a confirmation deposit from the card provided at the time of making the reservation.
If for any reason this wasn't done then we ask guests to make the payment on arrival, especially if they are staying for one night. I think that what has happened in your case.
We do not provide guest bed to accommodate third person in the guest rooms and we do not have any single rooms in the hotel. On the night in question a twin or a double room could have been provided for your granddaughter if you so wished.
As to the hot water, it does take 2, 3 minutes for the hot water to reach the guest rooms, there is information to that effect in the room folder, advising guest to run the water for at least 2 to 3 minutes in order to have a comfortable shower or bath. If you have brought this to our attention at the time we could have explained it to you.
We always try to make our guest feel welcome and comfortable during their stay with us. On this occasion, we haven't achieved our objective and for that I apologise sincerely.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

Just spent 3 nights here for golf. Arrived late Fri, unsure of local facilities as early October. Needn't have worried as hotel has excellent menu of freshly cooked food served by very friendly staff. Bar is also part of local community & we enjoyed the regular Fri night quiz which is a lively fun event! Decor may be a little dated but rooms are very clean & comfortable, tea/coffee in room, ample hot water in en suite bathroom, & fluffy towels. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order & Mike & staff were on hand to answer any queries. In fact restaurant was so good, we ate there all 3 nights & enjoyed very much having relaxed drinks in the bar.
So I would definitely recommend Balcomie Links with 5* for atmosphere & hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

Thank you for taking time to review of your stay at the Balcomie Links Hotel. It is always nice to hear that our guest have an enjoyable stay with us, we do appreciate the feedback.
Please do not hesitate to contact us again, we'll only be too happy to help you with any trips you may plan to Scotland and Fife again in the future.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Just want to say a very big thank you to The Balcomie Hotel - as a solo traveller it is always nice to be warmly welcomed and that is exactly what I received from everyone at the hotel including the locals - had such a lovely meal and a great time that I left my coat in the the wardrobe - a big bulky coat!! Thank you to Mike and Ayshe - my coat is on the way in the post to my UK base for the more than happy to pay £5 - thank you, thank you!! Great place, great staff and great service!.

Room Tip: book ahead on your website...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Sandra H
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at the Balcomie Links Hotel. We appreciate all feedbacks, positive or negative, to measure our performance and try to improve our services to our guests. We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future. Enjoy your tour of Scotland and have safe journey back home.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

We decided w wanted a great view and my good ness did we get one. The Balcomie Hotel sits a bit back from the sea at Crail, but our top floor room had the most beautiful view to the Isle of May and across the Forth. We could see the Bass Rock and North Berwick Law and lots of sea and sky. The room was large and bright and comfortable and the breakfast was much more than the 2 starts the hotel has. Beautifully cooked and I noticed that the any requests were met with a friendly and helpful yes, even gluten free bread one of the guests brought with them was welcomed and toasted. There are some minor downside. The tv was the smallest I think I have ever seen. The bathroom was not great (but the shower was fine - strong and hot). The entry hall was dark and not very welcoming. But we definitely got what we wanted - great view, a good night's sleep and a great breakfast to start to the day. Definitely great value. Thank you!

Room Tip: Top floor at the front for a great view. But there's no life so pack with care!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Thank you for taking time to review of your stay at the Balcomie Links Hotel.
We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Our last stop of our trip to Scotland; after having travelled from the Isle of Skye, we were warmly welcomed ; our rooms were comfortable and the bathrooms very nice; very nice breakfast too. Possibility to have a drink at the end of the day .Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Balcomie, Manager at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

You are welcome and thank you for taking time to review of your stay with us.
We are please you had an enjoyable stay and hopefully we can welcome you back to Balcomie Links Hotel again in the future.