“Great food, warm welcome, but imprved finishing touches would help”

The Covenanter Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Falkland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Lovely warm welcome from proprietor when I arrived after a long day at work. Bedroom really cosy and clean. The Hotel also has a cafe and restaurant, so I had a cuppa and one of a great range of home-made cakes whilst waiting for my colleague. It was just so nice NOT to be told "oh the cafe's shut and dinner doesn't start till 7pm" but instead I was made to feel instantly at home. Next morning, breakfast was brilliant. All so freshly cooked and really tasty.
In terms if 3 improvements: the bathroom was *really* cold in spite of there being a heated towel rail in there. The floor and walls are all tiled so it's unpleasantly cold. Don't know if it needs double glazing in the window or something cos I was surprised how it just didn't get warm. I'm not a picky person, but the shower tiles and grouting were fairly mucky, and the wee rack for putting your toiletries in was on the rusty side. Small things but not nice. Third thing was that the curtains were paper thin, which mattered because the room I was in (Bruce) faced directly onto the (very quiet) street so it was flooded with street lighting. It may not bother some folk but I was relieved I'd brought my sleeping mask otherwise I wouldn't have been able to sleep at all.
So, I would stay afain, cos of the warm welcome, cosy room and great food, but it'd be a y star stay if these other things were put right. They're small but they matter when you're away from home.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and I often go to falkland for a walk and a coffee. We've never been to the convenanter hotel before so thought it would be a nice change. It's a nice venue and lovely staff. The food was fine but average and good coffee, no sugar offered and none on tables a bit strange? . The tiles on floor look like they are in need of a good clean but apart from that it was okay. I would go again but wouldn't rush back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in the apartment last weekend, the room was spacious and very comfortable. The staff couldn't have been any more helpful or friendly, and value for money along with breakfast was great. Will definitely be returning

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Struggled to find a hotel near my meeting in buckhaven and took a chance on this place and came up trumps . In the most idyllic village the location is wonderful . Rooms clean and fresh with all you need , makes a change from the premier inn !! . Give it a whirl

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We made an almost last minute booking to this hotel. Misunderstanding the adress we started out looking for the hotel in the wrong village. A little bit stressed up we finally found the hotel, it was worth looking for. It lies at a nice square in a beautiful little village. The service were fine and the room was small but totally okey. The breakfast was also served in a friendly way and tasting excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Visited Maspie Den in Falkland where there are some lovely walks and great for dogs. After our walk we went to The Covenanter Hotel for lunch. We had a table outside because we had the dogs and were made to feel very welcome.
They offered to get water for our dogs. Great choice of food on the menu, certainly a bit different from usual pub grub.
Would recommend the steak pie and the chips are home made, not the usual frozen offering. Found the prices to be
very reasonable given the standard of food offered. Will definitely be back and would recommend to anyone visiting
Falkland.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had just visited Falkland Palace, and across the road we went for lunch. We sat in the sun in this delightful little town, had a pint and a cheese platter, which was served by a very cheery lady. Just what we asked for. My only observation, was that the inside of the hotel had obviously been modernised at some point and I suspect that a lot of the original character had been lost.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falkland
Lomond Hills Hotel
#1 of 1 in Craigsanquhar
Balbirnie House
Balbirnie House
#1 of 1 in Markinch

Been to The Covenanter Hotel? Share your experiences!