“AMAZINGLY MAGICAL & UNIQUE.”

Fernie Castle Hotel
“AMAZINGLY MAGICAL & UNIQUE.”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Short stay break at this fantastic castle & it was an unforgettable stay! Lovely attentive staff who were there for all our needs, afternoon tea was delicious, can't rate it high enough, we shall be back next year

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My daughters wedding took place at the castle on 21st june with many guests staying.This is a Beautiful location (Neil and Mary were the perfect hosts going way beyond what i had expected)The food and service was exceptional the attention to detail was perfect , making my daughters fairy tail day come true. many thanks to all who worked so hard behind the scenes. The castle is situated near a main road but noise was not an issue and the grounds were beautiful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stootall
Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I just want to say Fernie Castle is an amazing place to get married.I got Married outside on June 21st 2014...

.The owners Neil and Mary were so helpful and so nice...They made my wedding day perfect. They made me feel so at ease and to enjoy every minute of my wedding day. Thank you Neil and Mary I couldn't of asked for nicer people and how everything went so smoothly on the day.

inside Fernie castle I loved, The meals are really good, all the guests that had salmon said it was one of the bests salmons they have tasted.

I am so glad I picked Fernie Castle for my wedding day....I will definitely be coming back to stay and on our first year wedding anniversary. It's all thanks to Neil, Mary and all the staff for making my day be so perfect. wish I could do it all over again. Anyone who's thinking about getting married here I would highly recommend it. Was the best day of my life.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LisaAitken2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our party of 4 came for a 'Special Afternoon Tea' and it certainly was that. What a fabulous setting which was quite breathtaking on the drive up to the castle. Our afternoon tea was just great and although we were a bit early it was no problem. We so enjoyed the trip up and can only hope the 'Deal' will be on again and we will certainly buy it. We were given a Fernie Castle Gingerbread to take away with us. A lovely wee memento.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have recently stayed at Fernie Castle whilst attending a wedding. It was a happy and most memorable day.

I am acutely aware of the demands of running a small business, both in terms of hard work and long hours. I do not doubt the commitment of the owners, but sadly I have come to the conclusion that in terms of running a quality establishment they are ‘punching above their weight’. Furthermore, in my opinion there is a fair amount of marketing misrepresentation regarding the quality of services provide. Having visited the website before booking, upon arrival I felt I was in the wrong hotel.

Hotel
Although located on a main road with the associated traffic noise, the castle is well situated.
Apart from the obvious charm of staying in a castle, some areas are desperately in need of investment and unfortunately for me, my room ought to be at the top of the refurbishment list! Without doubt it was the shabbiest bedroom I have ever occupied – dark, cramped, and very, very neglected. Both the bedroom and en suite were superficially clean, ‘middle of the room clean’ as my Mother would say, but beyond a cursory glance the w.c. pan was dirty, shower tray clogged with hair/slow to drain, wallpaper peeling off walls, thick dust, soiled bed spread, etc etc. Worse still, a stale smell greeted me upon entering the room not helped by the wooded sash window being stuck fast with layers of paint and cobwebs. Despite booking into a castle I do not consider myself to be a princess. I do not expect hermetically sealed cleanliness, but nor do I expect to pay four star prices for youth hostel standards.

I saw other rooms during my stay that were very much as described on the website; perhaps this might explain the rather disparate previous reviews.

Underwhelming and bland, locally sourced perhaps but ruined once overcooked. I have read a previous comment from someone stating ‘food to die for’- I agree…… but doubt we mean quite the same thing!

Room Tip: Enormous variation in standard - ask questions before booking if allocated a room not featured on we...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank peterWD7

Travellers are raving about these Letham hotels

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

What an amazing afternoon tea in such a lovely room! Started with a glass of Pimms, then soup, sandwiches, scones and cakes which were all delicious. Hope they repeat this offer again soon. My only disappointment is that I left behind the gingerbread castle!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol E
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just returned today Sunday, 18th May from the Treehouse. Visited with my husband and our 10 year old daughter for my birthday treat. This was an amazing experience and a definite to add to ones bucket list! The tree house is one of the quirkiest places we have ever stayed in. The bed was wonderful and all the little unusual pieces of furniture and nik-naks really added to the magical feel of living in the woods. The bathroom was also fantastic and we all indulged ourselves in a piping hot slipper bath before dinner.
We were given a fridge and hamper which was absolutely filled to overflowing with drinks (alcoholic and non), crisps, biscuits, pastries, a cheese and fruit platter, champagne, orange juice, milk, cereals and various teas and coffees. Thank you also for a little bear and sweets for our daughter.

Dinner was served in the beautiful hotel dining room. My husband chose the haggis balls with salad garnish and I chose the smoke salmon dressed with capers. We all had a beautiful potato and leek soup. For our mains, my daughter chose salmon, I chose chicken in a mustard and cream sauce and my husband, the beef followed by sticky toffee pudding.

We enjoyed walking the grounds which were filled with bluebells, feeding the two highland cattle carrots and also feeding the hens and the goats. After dinner we watched some television and a dvd in our fantastic tree house bedroom. We were awakened to the sound of birdsong in the morning and strolled up to the hotel for a fried breakfast. At £495 per night it is not cheap but worth saving up for. All in all a great experience and lots of family photos to cherish. Just what memories are made of.

Thank you Neil for everything.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Corryfam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letham
Fairmont St Andrews
Lomond Hills Hotel
Lomond Hills Hotel
#1 of 1 in Freuchie
Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel

Been to Fernie Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!