“Quality food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wee Restaurant

The Wee Restaurant
Price range: US$32 - US$50
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Fife
“Quality food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Very good food, not a big menu which is good sign in my book. been about 6 times and never failed to impress.

Visited December 2011

edinburgh
“Excellent - Couldn't have asked for better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I visited the wee restaurant in north queensferry with my mum for sunday lunch and it was fantastic. The service was up to their usual standard and we felt well looked after. The atmosphere was great, nice and busy.
The food was great - highly recommend the mussels!
We will defo be back in a hurry......

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank llx88
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent Scottish fayre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Lovely!!

The Wee Restaurant is as cute as a button, hidden away in North Queensferry with a tiny sign to match its tiny build. Classic tables with a touch of eccentric decor (I like the lobster peeking out of a cubby hole). Staff were lovely and courteous, timing of all courses was excellent, and the food..... exquisite. A lovely selection to choose from, and all very tasty. I opted for the steak and chocolate tart (yum) and my partner had the terrine and lamb (again yum).

Just excellent - I'll definitely be making the jaunt to NQ again to re-visit this gem!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Worst steaks this year!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Recently went for lunch, calves tounge and black pudding and celery soup fantastic as was the chocolate torte for desert but we paid £6.5o extra for the rib eye steak, worst steak I've had ever!!! Chewy, fatty, under cooked and very very over priced. staff very friendly and helpfully but let down by the poor quality steak.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Great food but the "wee" restaurant needs to lose the "big" arrogance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

We visited the Wee Restaurant on a Saturday night to celebrate a special occasion on a cold winter night (it would be fantastic in the summer to have a walk around and enjoy the village!). The starters were great and we both went for the ribeye steak main which was excellent. The New Zealand pinot was also fab. Service was OK and functional. The other server (manager?) never came over all night except to ask us to leave at 8.15pm. The prices are reasonable for the quality of food. We could have done with more time to finish our wine etc. but we knew we had to vacate when we booked.

However, what I couldn't work out was the way the business was run and the lack of any Scottish hospitality - I thought I'd point this out for anyone else travelling from further afield and/or choosing a taxi to access the small village from nearby towns/cities. I assumed it is normal for a restaurant to open for customers who have arrived for their booking in advance. My understanding of how this works is that when I book a table at a restaurant its the time I intend to dine. This means I expect to be inside, sitting at my table for that time (I booked for 6.30pm). Moreover, when I booked the table I was told in no uncertain terms that we had to leave by 8.15pm. It would therefore have made perfect sense for us to arrive on time. So as myself and my girlfriend waited outside in the cold (below zero) with another couple, we were somewhat agreed on that principle. Having arranged a taxi for transport we had to expect a few minutes either side of the booking time - irrespective, I expected that to be fairly normal.  We would have happily had a drink at the local pub but we didn't because we wished to arrive on time.  After-all, this is a tiny restaurant in a village.  So whilst it seemed the knocks at the door were ignored (or potentially not heard), the phone call we made at 6.26pm was answered. It was clear our desire to be polite, prompt and to extend our etiquette to arrive on time wasn't  reciprocated to us. Firstly, when outside in -1 degree Celsius, the response could have been a little more polite. Secondly, the person explained that they had to finish printing the menu's before they would unlock the door to let us in. To be honest, we didn't need a menu to enter and we would have presumed they had all afternoon if not all day to do this simple task.

I spoke to the owner afterwards. The reply was as follows
- "We do open early at times when the weather is awful and people are at the door"
- "We open at 6.30pm as advertised on the website and on the door." - this was never explained to me upon making the booking, just that we had to leave by 8.15pm. Apparently it is now the case you need to check opening hours in advance on a website before going to the restaurant.
- "If you wish to ensure the door is open and you wish a longer time to dine, please book a later table... Some people prefer a more leisurely meal so they book a later table" - the point being that apparently if you want to expect any level of the most basic service ie. the door to be open when you arrive, and to enjoy the meal at your own pace stay you need to book after 8.15pm.
- "However I am disappointed to hear that you and your partner were quite rude to the staff from the outset and this continued throughout the evening." - to finish with, and apparently to validate her terse response, she accused us of being rude !!
Surprised by this, when I asked how we were rude she never replied. Enough said.
My impression is that the "wee" restaurant (given their location in a small village) needs to tone down on its "big" arrogance, as people just won't put up with that kind of service or attitude in such a small and remote location (and possibly just basic preparation for guests e.g. the menus). I don't care how good the food is, its just simply the basics you have to get right sometimes.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Robin I
HQNQ, Owner at The Wee Restaurant, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
I have emailed this customer 3 times now and explained our opening times. I have been to many restaurants where I have booked at their opening time and expect to be let in at opening time and not before. This reviewer was let in early when we were advised very rudely he was outside and wished to come in. On occasion if we see someone at the door we will open the door for them a few minutes early, especially in poor weather conditions. I have advised him that we welcome polite guests at The Wee Restaurant and his partners rude behaviour towards our staff and his rudeness in emails are not tolerated. The Irwins are the first and only people to be advised that they will never be welcome as customers again due to their poor behaviour towards me and my staff.