“Lovely Wee Hotel!”

Albert Hotel
Bo'ness, United Kingdom
“Lovely Wee Hotel!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We managed to find a deal for the Albert Hotel on Groupon. This is the first time we have stayed here and first impressions were very positive! The hotel is very clean throughout. The room was modern, spacious, spotlessly clean and had a great view over the river and the rail bridge. The big bed was very comfy! The thing that really made our stay was how friendly the staff were. We had booked our evening meal for 6pm, the staff had set a candle lit table next to the window overlooking the river with beautiful views of the bridge - it was just perfect! It was a set 3 course menu as part of our offer, there was a great selection and I was stuck between what was on offer (the sea bass is amazing served with a white wine sauce side) After our meal we decided to have a few drinks at the bar, the staff and locals made us feel so welcome and it was a nice atmosphere. It was a shame we only stayed for one night but we will definitely be back!

1 Thank RaymoC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I booked this on "Itison" for a wee break away but after reading some I the reviews I was a little apprehensive. We had no need to as when we arrived we were greeted instantly by who turned out to be Millie the manageress. She checked us in & explained everything we needed to know (including how to use the code to get in at night) we went to our room which was very nice & very clean may I add. It had a lovely view of the bridge & looked freshly decorated. We had our chocolates as promised then went to the bar. This is when we found out Millie was the manageress as I asked her because she was so helpful. Being pregnant I can't drink & don't like juice so she got me some of her own fruit tea before explaining what was on in the area. We went over to South Queensferry then returned for dinner which was very nice (the home made cheesecake was to die for)! We both ate way too much so after drinks in the bar we headed to bed earlier than planned. Our room was nice & warm when we got back which was nice. In the morn we had a full breakfast which again was very nice before chatting to Millie & some of the regulars. I have to say all the staff we met were very welcoming and we had no complaints at all...
All in all we had a great stay so thank you to everyone at The Albert Hotel- & don't let the bad reviews put you off.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sashakarenlee
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Our stay at the Albert Hotel was during a dreary time in February, but the view of the Forth Rail Bridge made up for it. We had a great view of the bridge from our room as well as from the restaurant. The room was modern, clean and comfortable. As we visited during the low season, we had the hotel to ourselves the first night and only another couple on the second evening.
The friendly staff made the stay quite pleasant.
The view from the windows of the hotel are stunning, as they look out onto the water and the iconic Forth Rail Bridge. However, the price for this is the noise from the trains every 15 minutes even late into the night.
We gave the low score for the food in the pub, which while generous was not very good. The morning breakfast was much better on the first morning, when the chef was in, but the second morning he wasn’t in and the breakfast was made by staff who weren't allowed to use the deep fryer --- we didn’t finish the breakfast in the end. Luckily, we had exciting lunch plans for our trip home!
I might go back to the Albert Hotel to stay if I had plans to eat elsewhere. It is very easy to get into Edinburgh as the rail station is only a ten minute walk (quite a steep one, though) and you can be at Waverley station in less than 30 minutes.

Room Tip: Room 1 faces the bridge directly. Great view.
1 Thank Mariam M
Monterey
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in May, and wasn't going to write a review of this place because I didn't want to be negative, and wanted to give it another try in the future.. Having said that, I decided to write about my experience here as I'm going back to the area, and nearly booked a room at the Albert hotel again, but didn't. In May,I came from America, made reservations months in advance with request for a room with a view of the Bridge, which I was excited to see as one main point in my trip to Scotland. Even had booking.com call them to assure I'd be booked into that room, which they guaranteed. I arrived late, about 11 pm......because of bad weather and a fire on a plane. They gave me a room with NO view of the Bridge. When I asked for it to be changed, they said rudely that I got there too late and the other rooms were taken. So,I got a drink and went outside. I was out there for a little while, and when I went to go inside, found they'd LOCKED THE DOOR!! No one came to open it. I couldn't get into my room and slept in my car.. They really should've told me they would be locking the doors at a certain time. And although I shouted to please let me in, nobody came. Just arrived from America, after an epic journey, with hopes of a nice cozy room with a view of the Bridge....and I had to sleep in my car. I got into my room in the morning, told the morning staff (who seemed embarrassed by it all) about my experience and all they did was say "write an email"... I tried to be positive and told myself that at least I got to sleep near the Bridge, but when going to book this hotel again, I just couldn't. The treatment by the staff was truly terrible. Never would've thought a little hotel would be that way. It's only plus is it's location. They are one of those places with staff arrogant that they've got a prime location, so therefore think they can be as nasty as they want. They could add some kindness to it and have a gem of a hotel. Who wants to arrive at a hotel after going thru storms, delays, fires, planes (and trains because of an airplane fire) and have them lock you outside at night?? Not me.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bonbon2929
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We had groupon deal, restaurant wa cold no heating, the glass of prosecco was not cold and was flat. The menu as good, soup tasteless the main meal And sweet were good, asked for wine list they don't so we chose bottle of red. We were served so quickly all over in an hour, I presume whe. The upgrading done it will be better but doubt the food will change . Disppointed .

1 Thank Jackie F
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Avoid! Stayed here in august and I would of given it 4 star but completely down hill now. Food is shocking despite it having an interesting menu(new chefs?). Staff is unattentive. Manager looks disinterested. Rooms are dirty. Only plus is good views of the bridge.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank maxwell1789
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

On a trip round scotland and had a pit stop here n very good.staff made the stay tho, the barmaids on duty seemed to do be doing everything but coped very well.always greeted with a smile, would definetely stay here again, thanks to the warm welcome from staff and fantastic service and view.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
#4 of 4 in South Queensferry
King Malcolm Hotel
King Malcolm Hotel
#11 of 12 in Dunfermline

Been to Albert Hotel? Share your experiences!