“Really disappointed”
Review of Albert Hotel

Albert Hotel
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Got this on an itison deal. Was happy with our room, although a bit disappointed we didn't really have a view of the bridge. The room was spacious and well decorated. It seemed a shame that everything was all nice and coordinated then they just stuck a metal rail on the wall with some metal coat hangers on it! Totally took away from the room. Shower room was clean, however had a damp smell in it. I had a shower which alternated between cold and scalding hot, although my husband had one later which was fine.

Dinner was included and we thought it would be simple pub classics. I had oat cakes and pate for starter, a big portion and lovely. My hubby had bruschetta and got one tiny little bit, which was tiny compared to my starter. We both paid the £3 supplement for the sirloin steak. Unfortunately mine was not well done as requested, so had to send it back. When it came back it was cremated on the outside, still pink on the inside and the original chips & mushrooms were cold on the plate. First four mouthfuls were in edible with gristle and ended up the whole thing was left as it was so bad. The waitress avoided us, then eventually came and asked if we enjoyed our meal. Seemed really off considering mine was on the plate! Was told I could get a refund of my £3, but money was never the object. I just wanted a nice meal. Dessert was poor. Bill came and put money in the folder. Twelve times we were walked by ( and restaurant was nowhere near full) till eventually I had to call out and ask how I was meant to pay my bill.

Unfortunately breakfast was not much better, half a tomato, one slice of bacon, a dollop of haggis, a runny fried egg and beans. All swimming on a layer of oil or something. We then heard the waitress telling the table behind the chef was running late with the sausages etc. just felt we could have had a better breakfast in a supermarket cafe.

Hotel could be lovely, with just a little more effort it could be a great place for a cosy weekend away. Bed was very comfy!

However the food and the service with the food really let them down and I'm very disappointed in my stay.

Room Tip: Room 7 does not have much of a bridge view
2  Thank Abi S

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We managed to find a deal for the Albert Hotel on Groupon. This is the first time we have stayed here and first impressions were very positive! The hotel is very clean throughout. The room was modern, spacious, spotlessly clean and had a great view over the river and the rail bridge. The big bed was very comfy! The thing that really made our stay was how friendly the staff were. We had booked our evening meal for 6pm, the staff had set a candle lit table next to the window overlooking the river with beautiful views of the bridge - it was just perfect! It was a set 3 course menu as part of our offer, there was a great selection and I was stuck between what was on offer (the sea bass is amazing served with a white wine sauce side) After our meal we decided to have a few drinks at the bar, the staff and locals made us feel so welcome and it was a nice atmosphere. It was a shame we only stayed for one night but we will definitely be back!

1  Thank RaymoC
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I booked this on "Itison" for a wee break away but after reading some I the reviews I was a little apprehensive. We had no need to as when we arrived we were greeted instantly by who turned out to be Millie the manageress. She checked us in & explained everything we needed to know (including how to use the code to get in at night) we went to our room which was very nice & very clean may I add. It had a lovely view of the bridge & looked freshly decorated. We had our chocolates as promised then went to the bar. This is when we found out Millie was the manageress as I asked her because she was so helpful. Being pregnant I can't drink & don't like juice so she got me some of her own fruit tea before explaining what was on in the area. We went over to South Queensferry then returned for dinner which was very nice (the home made cheesecake was to die for)! We both ate way too much so after drinks in the bar we headed to bed earlier than planned. Our room was nice & warm when we got back which was nice. In the morn we had a full breakfast which again was very nice before chatting to Millie & some of the regulars. I have to say all the staff we met were very welcoming and we had no complaints at all...
All in all we had a great stay so thank you to everyone at The Albert Hotel- & don't let the bad reviews put you off.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sashakarenlee
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Our stay at the Albert Hotel was during a dreary time in February, but the view of the Forth Rail Bridge made up for it. We had a great view of the bridge from our room as well as from the restaurant. The room was modern, clean and comfortable. As we visited during the low season, we had the hotel to ourselves the first night and only another couple on the second evening.
The friendly staff made the stay quite pleasant.
The view from the windows of the hotel are stunning, as they look out onto the water and the iconic Forth Rail Bridge. However, the price for this is the noise from the trains every 15 minutes even late into the night.
We gave the low score for the food in the pub, which while generous was not very good. The morning breakfast was much better on the first morning, when the chef was in, but the second morning he wasn’t in and the breakfast was made by staff who weren't allowed to use the deep fryer --- we didn’t finish the breakfast in the end. Luckily, we had exciting lunch plans for our trip home!
I might go back to the Albert Hotel to stay if I had plans to eat elsewhere. It is very easy to get into Edinburgh as the rail station is only a ten minute walk (quite a steep one, though) and you can be at Waverley station in less than 30 minutes.

Room Tip: Room 1 faces the bridge directly. Great view.
1  Thank Mariam M
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in May, and wasn't going to write a review of this place because I didn't want to be negative, and wanted to give it another try in the future.. Having said that, I decided to write about my experience here as I'm going back to the area, and nearly booked a room at the Albert hotel again, but didn't. In May,I came from America, made reservations months in advance with request for a room with a view of the Bridge, which I was excited to see as one main point in my trip to Scotland. Even had booking.com call them to assure I'd be booked into that room, which they guaranteed. I arrived late, about 11 pm......because of bad weather and a fire on a plane. They gave me a room with NO view of the Bridge. When I asked for it to be changed, they said rudely that I got there too late and the other rooms were taken. So,I got a drink and went outside. I was out there for a little while, and when I went to go inside, found they'd LOCKED THE DOOR!! No one came to open it. I couldn't get into my room and slept in my car.. They really should've told me they would be locking the doors at a certain time. And although I shouted to please let me in, nobody came. Just arrived from America, after an epic journey, with hopes of a nice cozy room with a view of the Bridge....and I had to sleep in my car. I got into my room in the morning, told the morning staff (who seemed embarrassed by it all) about my experience and all they did was say "write an email"... I tried to be positive and told myself that at least I got to sleep near the Bridge, but when going to book this hotel again, I just couldn't. The treatment by the staff was truly terrible. Never would've thought a little hotel would be that way. It's only plus is it's location. They are one of those places with staff arrogant that they've got a prime location, so therefore think they can be as nasty as they want. They could add some kindness to it and have a gem of a hotel. Who wants to arrive at a hotel after going thru storms, delays, fires, planes (and trains because of an airplane fire) and have them lock you outside at night?? Not me.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bonbon2929
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We had groupon deal, restaurant wa cold no heating, the glass of prosecco was not cold and was flat. The menu as good, soup tasteless the main meal And sweet were good, asked for wine list they don't so we chose bottle of red. We were served so quickly all over in an hour, I presume whe. The upgrading done it will be better but doubt the food will change . Disppointed .

1  Thank Jackie F
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Avoid! Stayed here in august and I would of given it 4 star but completely down hill now. Food is shocking despite it having an interesting menu(new chefs?). Staff is unattentive. Manager looks disinterested. Rooms are dirty. Only plus is good views of the bridge.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank maxwell1789
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Queensferry
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh -...
#1 of 1 in North Queensferry
Orocco Pier
Orocco Pier
#3 of 4 in South Queensferry
0 mi away
Ferrybridge Hotel
Ferrybridge Hotel
#5 of 5 in North Queensferry

Been to Albert Hotel? Share your experiences!