“Staff doing their best, Hotel has gone into administration, couldn't honour our groupon booking. Okay place.”

The Queensferry Hotel
York
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We booked this hotel through Groupon, for £39 a night, which seemed like an excellent deal. Unfortunately, two days before we were due to stay there, having already travelled up to Scotland, we got an email from Groupon saying the hotel had gone into administration and wouldn't honour our booking. As you can imagine this was very stressful for us, and we wondered what they would have done if we hadn't checked our emails! With two days notice we couldn't get anywhere else without paying a huge sum, so we rung the hotel and asked if they could help us. They explained that the hotel had been transferred to new owners, and after speaking to their manager agreed we could stay for £50 a night, an extra £11. They also shared with us that the staff hadn't been paid for the last month's work they did, and are unlikely to see that money. We felt very bad for them. They are doing the best they can with a bad situation. They even told us that the owners knew the hotel was about to fail when they set up the groupon deal, which was very dishonest of them. The lady I spoke to said she could upgrade us to a "deluxe view room" for free, to make up for the trouble, which we accepted. Overall, this hotel is okay. They are in amazing location, right next to the forth road bridge, looking out onto the water. Their restaurant has panoramic views and they have plenty of parking. They are ideally situated for Edinburgh and deep sea world. Like other reviewers have said though, the hotel is tired and needs some love. There was peeling paint, scuff marks, stains on the ceiling, badly painted areas, hand written signs cello-taped to the lift areas, and overall it just looks a bit dated. The restaurant and bar areas have obviously had a make over and look much nicer than the rest of the hotel and the function rooms look okay, but the rest needs some money spending on it. The room itself did have a view over the water, but we couldn't see the bridge from it without opening the window, standing right in the corner and leaning out and peering over a roof, then you could just about see the top of the bridge. Because of this, I would think carefully before choosing to pay extra for a room with a view, as some rooms seem to have amazing views and some don't. I think we were in the older bit of the hotel and the newer bit looks a bit nicer and has better views. The room was supposed to be "deluxe" but it was also quite faded and tired, with cobwebs behind the curtains, a bed made from two very uncomfotable single beds pushed together and a basic bathroom. The little details really let this place down, like the mugs provided to go with the kettle were two totally different shapes, sizes and colours, and not in a nice quirky way. The walls needed repainting, and there were paint marks on window panes where the paint had dripped down it. The room was a good size though, quite large. Breakfast was a bit disappointing too. On my husbands meal they forgot the bacon and gave him a black pudding even though he asked them not to, and the toasting machine (one of those conveyor belt ones) burnt the toast no matter what setting you put it on. There weren't any menu's to tell you what options there were, and there were no tea spoons, so we had to use large spoons to stir our tea. Nothing terrible, just a bit lacking in that "wow" factor. Overall, I think if we could have got the stay for the original £39 it would have been okay, a step up from a travel lodge because you get breakfast, but at £50 it wasn't worth it. The location and views are their real selling point, and it probably depends which room you get, and in which part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a view if they offer you room 202 as you can't see the bridge from it.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Louisa C, Sales Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed by your stay and can only apologise. We have recently been bought over by the Cairn Hotel Group who will be investing heavily in staff development and training. They are also undertaking a 2 million pound refurbishment of the hotel including installing an external balcony, full redecoration of both function suits and public areas including new lifts and windows, full bedroom refurbishment and a planned extension to the bedroom stock. With regard to the Groupon offer you could have contacted Groupon for a full refund of accepted the offer at £50.00. Unfortunately as the offer was organised on a pre payment basis all of the monies gained from this were recuperated by the old company which has now gone into administration. Due to this, should the new company have honoured the deals, there would have been significant detrimental repercussions to their sales. A position they did not wish to be in. I hope that with time I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Hungarian first
HOWWOOD
Reviewed 12 May 2013

As others have mentioned with some investment this could be a nice place. Its not that bad.. We had a great deal where they could accomodate us for a weekend overnight which was a great treat rather than taking time off work... Views are brill, where if interested, you can see the start of the building of the new bridge.Our room was large and clean and have certainly stayed in worse.. Did not use the dining room,only because we had taken a really late lunch but, there were plenty of folk using the dining room.
Our only annoyance was, down to get a drink in the bar, got settled to relax with a few refreshments after our busy day exploring only to be told they had "NO GIN"..Hubby and I are both Gin drinkers, we thought the chap was joking, NO..He was all apologises...I have never ever been in a venue that has no Gin, any brand would have done, just told NONE...
So, sadly back to the room. Pity,as it would have finished our lovely day, perfectly..(more to the point, the hotel lost receiving any extra money from our stay).. On checking out we did mention to the receptionist where again all apologises,she informed us the hotel was in the process of being taken over by a new owner, still no excuse for not having a basic pub/bar beverage..
Apart from this issue, am sure once new owners get themselves in post, could be a nice little venue.........

Room Tip: "Would ask for water front room, views are great"
1 Thank JEAN P
Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the staff it is greatly appreciated. I have passed on your kind words to the team. I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay. I can only apologise for there being no gin. As you have stated there had recently been a changeover of ownership and due to this there had been some issues with deliveries. Coupled with the fact that we had a large wedding party in the hotel over this weekend who also had a particular liking for gin resulting in there being shortages of this particular drink. We hope that this has not deterred you from returning to the Queensferry Hotel soon.
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Spent two nights at this hotel. The location and views of the bridges are fantastic as are the hotel staff. The hotel is a little tired. The room we had was very clean and comfortable. THe food was also good and enjoyable. With a little investment this could be a fantastic location. Very much a value for money break. Not 5 star standards but we didn't pay for that.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms to the south will have the best view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the staff it is greatly appreciated. I have passed on your kind words to the team. I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Queensferry Hotel soon.
Johnstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Spent 1 night here and it was 1 night to much, only good things l could say was that the staff were very friendly and the parking was great, the hotel is very run down and in need of a refurbishment, we were informed that it had been bought over so maybe (hopefully) it will get what it's surroundings deserve, the smell in the room was just to much to handle, the carpet was very badly marked, very basic and not to clean tea and coffee facilities, and our swipe card didn't work, my partner wasn't at all happy and asked to be moved which was eventually done to another room with a smell and what looked like a fungus growing up the wall as you entered the room (don't think it was but didn't look to good anyway), a carpet that again was filthy (l never even took our slippers home) but on the upside it had a key and no swipe card, such a shame it could be a lovely big hotel with fantastic views in the heart of Scotland but needs a lot of money spent on it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Margaret D
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed by your stay and can only apologise.We have recently been bought over by the Cairn Hotel Group who will be investing heavily in staff development and training. They are also undertaking a 2 million pound refurbishment of the hotel including installing an external balcony, full redecoration of both function suits and public areas including new lifts and windows, full bedroom refurbishment and a planned extension to the bedroom stock. I am pleased that you found the staff to friendly and courteous, I have passed your comments on to the team. I hope that these changes will reassure you in our ability and with time I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again.

Travellers are raving about these North Queensferry hotels

Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night here in a family room rooms need S.A. little bit of an upgrading but vert clean and beds were so comfortable had evening meal and breakfast both very nice staff very good fast service booze reasonable price to would stay again

• Stayed April 2013
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Easy to find at the first turnoff after the Forth Road Bridge and don’t be put off as you drive through the construction site of the new road bridge being built. Hotel is in a good position overlooking the Firth of Forth and a short walk for good views of both bridges.

Reception staff were very friendly and we had a room at the back of the hotel overlooking open shrubland with rabbits playing. The room was comfortable and clean. We had a good evening meal in the restaurant, which overlooked the Firth and the road bridge but the restaurant staff were a bit hit and miss in their service. Breakfast was a good buffet selection.

The hotel is close to the road bridge and we had no noise from the traffic in the rear rooms and I don’t think it would be a problem in the front rooms.

A good stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Spent 1 night here, the room was big enough but our room was at the back so no view so could have been staying anywhere which I feel spoils going to a hotel over looking the bridges as thats what everyone wants to see not the back. Staff friendly & when I arrived my swipe card would not work on the door so the mainetenace man fixed it with no problem & super fast so 10/10 there. I felt the carpets in the room were not the cleanest & were sticky so could not walk on them in bare feet, bathroom was fine, no bathrobes as stated.
Breakfast not very good, bacon rock hard due to sitting on hot plate, the rest eatable but nothing special so resorted to a load of toast which is not my idea of a cooked breakfast.
All in all seeing as I got an extremely cheap deal I could not complain but if I had paid full price to stay here I would have felt very dissapointed as its not worth the prices they charge.

Room Tip: Definately a room with a view & not the back
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank pinkyummy
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed by your stay and can only apologise for what you felt was a poor standard of food. .We have recently been bought over by the Cairn Hotel Group who will be investing heavily in staff development and training. They are also undertaking a 2 million pound refurbishment of the hotel including installing an external balcony, full redecoration of both function suits and public areas including new lifts and windows, full bedroom refurbishment and a planned extension to the bedroom stock. I am pleased that we managed to resolve the issue with your door quickly and that you found the staff to friendly and courteous, I have passed your comments on to the team. I hope that these changes will reassure you in our ability and with time I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Queensferry
Dakota Edinburgh
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,826 reviews
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Hotel
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Que...
#2 of 4 in South Queensferry
The Staghead Hotel
The Staghead Hotel
#4 of 4 in South Queensferry
Best Western Plus Keavil House Hotel

Been to The Queensferry Hotel? Share your experiences!