DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed here for one night on May 11th on a B&B basis through groupon. Cany honestly say we had no problems. The booking was honoured, the staff were very friendly and helpfull and I cannot fault the room. We had a very good nights sleep and breakfast on Sunday morning was excellent.

Would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Louisa C, Sales Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the staff it is greatly appreciated. I have passed on your kind words to the team. I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel on the weekend of the 18th of May. We had booked it through a Groupon deal which we had purchased around 6 weeks earlier. At the time of phoning to make the booking, the girl on the other end of the phone had informed us that the hotel was in the middle of being bought over by another company and they were in the process of changing the computer systems over, so everything was a bit up in the air with trying to confirm the bookings, but she did manage to book us in for our desired date. Whilst making the booking I was also asked if I would like to upgrade our Groupon deal, this would be an extra £10 per night for an executive double room and an extra £20 per head for a 3 course meal and a bottle of wine at the hotel restaurant, to which I agreed. A few days prior to arriving at the hotel, my wife phoned to confirm the check in times and she was very pleasantly informed that this was a 2pm.
When we arrived to check into the hotel on the Saturday afternoon, we were immediately informed that our booking had been cancelled and that they would not be honouring the Groupon bookings. Well, we were somewhat shocked! Asking why we hadn’t been informed of this, prior to us making the journey, the receptionist claimed that it was down to Groupon to inform the customers that their vouchers would not be honoured and money would be returned. I couldn’t quite understand this as the hotel had all our booking details, including a contact mobile from myself, and were also aware our booking was made through a Groupon voucher (it should also be noted that it was the new hotel owners who had decided not to honour the Groupon Bookings). Why could the hotel not have the courtesy to call and inform me of this prior to setting off to check in? Well, possibly because they still wanted the bookings, but by informing people before hand, no one would turn up hence losing a possible booking. Because, like many others who have left comments below, we arrived, there is no other hotels/B&B’s in the area you are left in a quandary as to what to do. The only option we could do was re-book and stay the night. We also, for some bizarre reason, lost our deal on the meal I had booked in the restaurant even though this was through the hotel and not Groupon.
Because of what had happened regarding the booking, this left a somewhat sour taste in my mouth and I could not help feeling the hotel was being somewhat underhand or distrustful by not having the common decency to call and inform the customers who had booked that their original deal would not be honoured. And for that purpose, I would neither recommend this hotel nor would I stay here again in the future.
Regarding the hotel itself, it is in a beautiful location. It is very easily accessible from the M8, M9 motorways. As others have stated, it is slightly tired and dated inside however, the bar and restaurant areas look like they have been recently refurbished, as these would be the main source of business, but the hallways and rooms could probably do with a bit of updating.
Another really positive about the hotel is the waiting staff. The staff in the restaurant for both the evening meal, and the breakfast, were first class. They are true assets to the hotel, and if it is true what a few others have stated below about the staff not being paid, due to the previous owners going into administration, then they must be very highly commended. They simply could not do enough for you and were extremely pleasant while attending to the customers.
The room that we stayed in, although slightly tired, was impeccably clean with a really nice comfortable bed. The views of the bridges and the firth of Forth were also quite exceptional.
A couple of things which were not so positive was the bar and restaurant prices. The price of a drink in the bar took me by surprise, £7.85 for a Guinness and a bottle of Amstal. For me that is the price I would expect if I was in a fancy bar in the centre of Edinburgh, not in a dated and slightly run down hotel. The restaurant food menu was no different, a bit over priced for an average meal. I am not saying this to be mean, but more for the fact that if the hotel want to attract more business, they seriously need to reconsider their food and drink prices.
All in all, this hotel is a bit of a mixed bag. Some plus points, particularly the staff, but quite a few negatives. I am still a bit upset with the hotel not phoning us to confirm that our Groupon deal would not be honoured. Would I still have come and stayed the night, probably not, but I now can’t help feeling I have been slightly cheated by re-booking and paying for something I had already paid for. I now need to chase up Groupon for a refund of my previous purchased voucher, I don’t think this is going to be straightforward as Groupon had sent me an email survey during the week, to rate my stay at the Brook Queensferry hotel. Where, according to the hotel staff, others who have had a similar issue with their Groupon booking received an email from Groupon informing them of a refund being issued to their account.
It also must be noted that, for the weekend we stayed, the hotel only had a handful of guests staying, the majority of which were contractors who were working on the new bridge being constructed directly in front of the hotel. At most, the hotel reception/administration would only have had to make half a dozen calls; to inform customers that their deal was no longer being honoured by the hotel.

Room Tip: Phone before you set off from home to make sure your original booking is still valid.
1  Thank Kenny H

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed by your stay and can only apologise. We have recently been bought over by the Cairn Hotel Group who will be investing heavily in staff development and training. They are also undertaking a 2 million pound refurbishment of the hotel including installing an external balcony, full redecoration of both function suits and public areas including new lifts and windows, full bedroom refurbishment and a planned extension to the bedroom stock. With regard to the Groupon offer you could have contacted Groupon for a full refund of accepted the offer at £50.00. Unfortunately as the offer was organised on a pre payment basis all of the monies gained from this were recuperated by the old company which has now gone into administration. Due to this, should the new company have honoured the deals, there would have been significant detrimental repercussions to their sales. A position they did not wish to be in. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the staff it is greatly appreciated. I have passed on your kind words to the team. I hope that with time I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Booked and stayed at this hotel through the Groupon deal at £39 before they stopped honouring the vouchers.
Great location with plenty of potential to the new owners of this property.
Stayed on a Saturday night and first impressions were good. Just off the motorway and great views of the Firth of Forth and the Forth Road Bridge.
Check in was quick and friendly and I think we were upgraded as it was labelled as an "Executive Room". The Reception and Dining Room Bar area look nice and modern but the corridors need a bit of a freshen up. The lift looks a bit ancient so we took the stairs. The room was large with nice amenities but as others have said some of the furniture is a little tired.
Nice comfortable bed and got a good nights sleep.
Only real disappointment of the stay was the breakfast. There were not enough staff and the 2 on duty could not keep up with the demands of clearing tables and keeping the breakfast items and crockery replenished. The food quality was poor and it was obvious the hotel was serving the cheapest produce they could source.

Good stay for £39 but any more would be overpriced. Best wishes for the staff in trying to claim their lost wages.

Room Tip: Executive Room seemed ok

Reviewed 17 May 2013

We booked this hotel through Groupon, for £39 a night, which seemed like an excellent deal. Unfortunately, two days before we were due to stay there, having already travelled up to Scotland, we got an email from Groupon saying the hotel had gone into administration and wouldn't honour our booking. As you can imagine this was very stressful for us, and we wondered what they would have done if we hadn't checked our emails! With two days notice we couldn't get anywhere else without paying a huge sum, so we rung the hotel and asked if they could help us. They explained that the hotel had been transferred to new owners, and after speaking to their manager agreed we could stay for £50 a night, an extra £11. They also shared with us that the staff hadn't been paid for the last month's work they did, and are unlikely to see that money. We felt very bad for them. They are doing the best they can with a bad situation. They even told us that the owners knew the hotel was about to fail when they set up the groupon deal, which was very dishonest of them. The lady I spoke to said she could upgrade us to a "deluxe view room" for free, to make up for the trouble, which we accepted. Overall, this hotel is okay. They are in amazing location, right next to the forth road bridge, looking out onto the water. Their restaurant has panoramic views and they have plenty of parking. They are ideally situated for Edinburgh and deep sea world. Like other reviewers have said though, the hotel is tired and needs some love. There was peeling paint, scuff marks, stains on the ceiling, badly painted areas, hand written signs cello-taped to the lift areas, and overall it just looks a bit dated. The restaurant and bar areas have obviously had a make over and look much nicer than the rest of the hotel and the function rooms look okay, but the rest needs some money spending on it. The room itself did have a view over the water, but we couldn't see the bridge from it without opening the window, standing right in the corner and leaning out and peering over a roof, then you could just about see the top of the bridge. Because of this, I would think carefully before choosing to pay extra for a room with a view, as some rooms seem to have amazing views and some don't. I think we were in the older bit of the hotel and the newer bit looks a bit nicer and has better views. The room was supposed to be "deluxe" but it was also quite faded and tired, with cobwebs behind the curtains, a bed made from two very uncomfotable single beds pushed together and a basic bathroom. The little details really let this place down, like the mugs provided to go with the kettle were two totally different shapes, sizes and colours, and not in a nice quirky way. The walls needed repainting, and there were paint marks on window panes where the paint had dripped down it. The room was a good size though, quite large. Breakfast was a bit disappointing too. On my husbands meal they forgot the bacon and gave him a black pudding even though he asked them not to, and the toasting machine (one of those conveyor belt ones) burnt the toast no matter what setting you put it on. There weren't any menu's to tell you what options there were, and there were no tea spoons, so we had to use large spoons to stir our tea. Nothing terrible, just a bit lacking in that "wow" factor. Overall, I think if we could have got the stay for the original £39 it would have been okay, a step up from a travel lodge because you get breakfast, but at £50 it wasn't worth it. The location and views are their real selling point, and it probably depends which room you get, and in which part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a view if they offer you room 202 as you can't see the bridge from it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed by your stay and can only apologise. We have recently been bought over by the Cairn Hotel Group who will be investing heavily in staff development and training. They are also undertaking a 2 million pound refurbishment of the hotel including installing an external balcony, full redecoration of both function suits and public areas including new lifts and windows, full bedroom refurbishment and a planned extension to the bedroom stock. With regard to the Groupon offer you could have contacted Groupon for a full refund of accepted the offer at £50.00. Unfortunately as the offer was organised on a pre payment basis all of the monies gained from this were recuperated by the old company which has now gone into administration. Due to this, should the new company have honoured the deals, there would have been significant detrimental repercussions to their sales. A position they did not wish to be in. I hope that with time I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

As others have mentioned with some investment this could be a nice place. Its not that bad.. We had a great deal where they could accomodate us for a weekend overnight which was a great treat rather than taking time off work... Views are brill, where if interested, you can see the start of the building of the new bridge.Our room was large and clean and have certainly stayed in worse.. Did not use the dining room,only because we had taken a really late lunch but, there were plenty of folk using the dining room.
Our only annoyance was, down to get a drink in the bar, got settled to relax with a few refreshments after our busy day exploring only to be told they had "NO GIN"..Hubby and I are both Gin drinkers, we thought the chap was joking, NO..He was all apologises...I have never ever been in a venue that has no Gin, any brand would have done, just told NONE...
So, sadly back to the room. Pity,as it would have finished our lovely day, perfectly..(more to the point, the hotel lost receiving any extra money from our stay).. On checking out we did mention to the receptionist where again all apologises,she informed us the hotel was in the process of being taken over by a new owner, still no excuse for not having a basic pub/bar beverage..
Apart from this issue, am sure once new owners get themselves in post, could be a nice little venue.........

Room Tip: "Would ask for water front room, views are great"
1  Thank JEAN P

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the staff it is greatly appreciated. I have passed on your kind words to the team. I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay. I can only apologise for there being no gin. As you have stated there had recently been a changeover of ownership and due to this there had been some issues with deliveries. Coupled with the fact that we had a large wedding party in the hotel over this weekend who also had a particular liking for gin resulting in there being shortages of this particular drink. We hope that this has not deterred you from returning to the Queensferry Hotel soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Spent two nights at this hotel. The location and views of the bridges are fantastic as are the hotel staff. The hotel is a little tired. The room we had was very clean and comfortable. THe food was also good and enjoyable. With a little investment this could be a fantastic location. Very much a value for money break. Not 5 star standards but we didn't pay for that.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms to the south will have the best view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the staff it is greatly appreciated. I have passed on your kind words to the team. I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Queensferry Hotel soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Spent 1 night here and it was 1 night to much, only good things l could say was that the staff were very friendly and the parking was great, the hotel is very run down and in need of a refurbishment, we were informed that it had been bought over so maybe (hopefully) it will get what it's surroundings deserve, the smell in the room was just to much to handle, the carpet was very badly marked, very basic and not to clean tea and coffee facilities, and our swipe card didn't work, my partner wasn't at all happy and asked to be moved which was eventually done to another room with a smell and what looked like a fungus growing up the wall as you entered the room (don't think it was but didn't look to good anyway), a carpet that again was filthy (l never even took our slippers home) but on the upside it had a key and no swipe card, such a shame it could be a lovely big hotel with fantastic views in the heart of Scotland but needs a lot of money spent on it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Margaret D

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed by your stay and can only apologise.We have recently been bought over by the Cairn Hotel Group who will be investing heavily in staff development and training. They are also undertaking a 2 million pound refurbishment of the hotel including installing an external balcony, full redecoration of both function suits and public areas including new lifts and windows, full bedroom refurbishment and a planned extension to the bedroom stock. I am pleased that you found the staff to friendly and courteous, I have passed your comments on to the team. I hope that these changes will reassure you in our ability and with time I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Queensferry
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Que...
#2 of 4 in South Queensferry
Orocco Pier
#3 of 4 in South Queensferry
Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh Airport

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing? Share your experiences!