“its ok but”

The Queensferry Hotel
Mersyside
“its ok but”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

2 night stay here,db&b. The decor is very tired. Hairdryer not working, after 2 hrs wait a member of staff brought 1 from home! Bathroom not very clean, even after room had been cleaned. Toiletries awful. Non smoking room on ground floor, cigarette stubs & empty packets abounded outside the window. On the plus side, large room, comfy bed & dog friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Louisa C, Sales Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your found your stay disappointing. Some of the décor in the hotel is tired however we are due to undertake a 2.3 million pound refurbishment programme staring in the next couple of months. This will encompass all bedrooms and public areas. There will also be extensive work done to the gardens.

All of our hairdryers are wired in and so unfortunately as yours want working and our maintenance man wasn't on duty our General Manager went home to get her own personal hair dryer for you.

We have recently signed a new contract with Gilford and Soames to upgrade our bedroom toiletries.

We do have strict cleaning schedules in place however on this occasion it sounds as though we have fallen short of the mark. We will be reviewing our cleaning schedules to account for this.

I am glad however that you found your stay comfortable and hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Hungarian first
Irvine
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My son and I stayed in this hotel overnight as we were going to The British Super Bikes race meeting at Knockhill the next day. Only about twenty minute drive.
The hotel is very clean and tidy, we had a twin room which was quite spacious and comfortable with a nice view over the Forth.
The restaurant was very pleasant, and our evening dinner and breakfast were of good quality and both were thoroughly enjoyable.
We found all the staff to be very courteous, friendly and efficient, and we would have no hesitation staying in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor , to have a better view over the Forth
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Louisa C, Sales Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you had a positive experience and hope that you had a great day at Knockhill. I have passed on your kind comments to the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Fife, Scotland
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We booked a 2 night stay here as our son was getting marrried and holding their reception here. The staff were really nice and the wedding went well. We were however disappointed with the romm as the shaver point did not work, we had to get someone to com and close the window as it had jammed. The room was tired and I wrote "clean me" on the dusty windowsill. for £80 a night b&b I would have thought it would have been nicer. Others in our party were also disappointed with the rooms.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with us. Guest feedback is invaluable in helping us improve and develop so is very important to receive.

I am sorry that you were disappointed by your stay, We do have strict cleaning schedules in place however due to the extensive building work being undertaken locally for the New Forth Bridge rooms sometimes get more dusty than they ordinarily would. We will be reviewing our cleaning schedules to account for this. Some of the bedrooms are in need of some refurbishment work which we are planning to undertake, along with a full refurbishment of the grounds and public areas, during the later part of this year.

I am pleased to note, however, that the wedding went well and that your experience with the staff was positive. We really pride ourselves on delivering an excellent service to brides and grooms.

Travellers are raving about these North Queensferry hotels

Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My husband and I had a complimentary dinner at the hotel last Saturday (8 June) which we got for getting married at the hotel in August last year. When we arrived at the restaurant,we got a lovely table for 2 facing the bridges, the service was second to none as the waitress took our order as soon as we got seated. I ordered the lentil and vegetable soup which was extremely tasty and my husband had smoked mackerel on a bed of salad and apple compote.he said this was equally delicious.for our main course I ordered the sirloin steak and my husband ordered the lamb and it was the best 2 pieces of cut meat we have had in a very long time.the chef did an excellent job. We were offered pudding which there was a great selection but we were too full. This hotel/restaurant needs a lot more credit than it has got in past reviews as the staff work extremely hard. Yes, there are areas of development required but these things take time. My husband and I cant wait to stay back at the hotel for our 1st wedding anniversary in August.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jaclyn C
Louisa C, Sales Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience with us. It is always great to hear such positive feedback. I have passed your kind words on the rest of the team and look forward to welcoming you back for your fist wedding anniversary.
Kemnay, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Fantastic location with beautiful views from restaurant and bedroom. Dinner was excellent and breakfast had a good selection. Room was very spacious, with quality toiletries and well stocked hospitality tray. Peaceful with lovely grounds to meander round, with access to bridge and buses within ten minutes. Staff helpful and charming. Will look forward to return visit. Thank you.

Room Tip: First floor overlooking Firth. Peaceful with no noise nuisance.......we slept with window open! This...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Louisa C, Sales Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the staff it is greatly appreciated. I have passed on your kind words to the team. I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Dunston, Gateshead
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed here for one night on May 11th on a B&B basis through groupon. Cany honestly say we had no problems. The booking was honoured, the staff were very friendly and helpfull and I cannot fault the room. We had a very good nights sleep and breakfast on Sunday morning was excellent.

Would definitely use this hotel again.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel on the weekend of the 18th of May. We had booked it through a Groupon deal which we had purchased around 6 weeks earlier. At the time of phoning to make the booking, the girl on the other end of the phone had informed us that the hotel was in the middle of being bought over by another company and they were in the process of changing the computer systems over, so everything was a bit up in the air with trying to confirm the bookings, but she did manage to book us in for our desired date. Whilst making the booking I was also asked if I would like to upgrade our Groupon deal, this would be an extra £10 per night for an executive double room and an extra £20 per head for a 3 course meal and a bottle of wine at the hotel restaurant, to which I agreed. A few days prior to arriving at the hotel, my wife phoned to confirm the check in times and she was very pleasantly informed that this was a 2pm.
When we arrived to check into the hotel on the Saturday afternoon, we were immediately informed that our booking had been cancelled and that they would not be honouring the Groupon bookings. Well, we were somewhat shocked! Asking why we hadn’t been informed of this, prior to us making the journey, the receptionist claimed that it was down to Groupon to inform the customers that their vouchers would not be honoured and money would be returned. I couldn’t quite understand this as the hotel had all our booking details, including a contact mobile from myself, and were also aware our booking was made through a Groupon voucher (it should also be noted that it was the new hotel owners who had decided not to honour the Groupon Bookings). Why could the hotel not have the courtesy to call and inform me of this prior to setting off to check in? Well, possibly because they still wanted the bookings, but by informing people before hand, no one would turn up hence losing a possible booking. Because, like many others who have left comments below, we arrived, there is no other hotels/B&B’s in the area you are left in a quandary as to what to do. The only option we could do was re-book and stay the night. We also, for some bizarre reason, lost our deal on the meal I had booked in the restaurant even though this was through the hotel and not Groupon.
Because of what had happened regarding the booking, this left a somewhat sour taste in my mouth and I could not help feeling the hotel was being somewhat underhand or distrustful by not having the common decency to call and inform the customers who had booked that their original deal would not be honoured. And for that purpose, I would neither recommend this hotel nor would I stay here again in the future.
Regarding the hotel itself, it is in a beautiful location. It is very easily accessible from the M8, M9 motorways. As others have stated, it is slightly tired and dated inside however, the bar and restaurant areas look like they have been recently refurbished, as these would be the main source of business, but the hallways and rooms could probably do with a bit of updating.
Another really positive about the hotel is the waiting staff. The staff in the restaurant for both the evening meal, and the breakfast, were first class. They are true assets to the hotel, and if it is true what a few others have stated below about the staff not being paid, due to the previous owners going into administration, then they must be very highly commended. They simply could not do enough for you and were extremely pleasant while attending to the customers.
The room that we stayed in, although slightly tired, was impeccably clean with a really nice comfortable bed. The views of the bridges and the firth of Forth were also quite exceptional.
A couple of things which were not so positive was the bar and restaurant prices. The price of a drink in the bar took me by surprise, £7.85 for a Guinness and a bottle of Amstal. For me that is the price I would expect if I was in a fancy bar in the centre of Edinburgh, not in a dated and slightly run down hotel. The restaurant food menu was no different, a bit over priced for an average meal. I am not saying this to be mean, but more for the fact that if the hotel want to attract more business, they seriously need to reconsider their food and drink prices.
All in all, this hotel is a bit of a mixed bag. Some plus points, particularly the staff, but quite a few negatives. I am still a bit upset with the hotel not phoning us to confirm that our Groupon deal would not be honoured. Would I still have come and stayed the night, probably not, but I now can’t help feeling I have been slightly cheated by re-booking and paying for something I had already paid for. I now need to chase up Groupon for a refund of my previous purchased voucher, I don’t think this is going to be straightforward as Groupon had sent me an email survey during the week, to rate my stay at the Brook Queensferry hotel. Where, according to the hotel staff, others who have had a similar issue with their Groupon booking received an email from Groupon informing them of a refund being issued to their account.
It also must be noted that, for the weekend we stayed, the hotel only had a handful of guests staying, the majority of which were contractors who were working on the new bridge being constructed directly in front of the hotel. At most, the hotel reception/administration would only have had to make half a dozen calls; to inform customers that their deal was no longer being honoured by the hotel.

Room Tip: Phone before you set off from home to make sure your original booking is still valid.
1 Thank Kenny H
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed by your stay and can only apologise. We have recently been bought over by the Cairn Hotel Group who will be investing heavily in staff development and training. They are also undertaking a 2 million pound refurbishment of the hotel including installing an external balcony, full redecoration of both function suits and public areas including new lifts and windows, full bedroom refurbishment and a planned extension to the bedroom stock. With regard to the Groupon offer you could have contacted Groupon for a full refund of accepted the offer at £50.00. Unfortunately as the offer was organised on a pre payment basis all of the monies gained from this were recuperated by the old company which has now gone into administration. Due to this, should the new company have honoured the deals, there would have been significant detrimental repercussions to their sales. A position they did not wish to be in. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the staff it is greatly appreciated. I have passed on your kind words to the team. I hope that with time I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Queensferry
Dakota Edinburgh
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,826 reviews
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Hotel
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Que...
#2 of 4 in South Queensferry
The Staghead Hotel
The Staghead Hotel
#4 of 4 in South Queensferry
Best Western Plus Keavil House Hotel

Been to The Queensferry Hotel? Share your experiences!