“poor” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Queensferry Hotel
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just back from a night here and would not go back. The room was nice and clean and overlooked the bridge. They were a bit hasty with there milk, sugar in the room only enough for one cup each. Had dinner in the restaurant was very poor. They did not have the starter or dessert that my husband asked for and when the food did eventually come , after waiting over an hour for it mine was ok although very small portions, however my husband ordered the gnocchi and it was very overcooked and was like stodge. The service was very very slow and overheard the waitress telling the table next to us(who were also complaining about the waiting time)that the chef was very grumpy this evening! We also complained to the receptionist who did not seem to care. Would definitely not recommend this hotel and will not go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Louisa C, Sales Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us. Gust feedback really is important in helping us develop as a team.

I'm saddened to read of your experiences whilst staying with us and can only apologise for what seems to be a significant failure in our standard of service. We are currently investing heavily in the restaurant staffs training and development focusing on providing a much better standard of customer service.

I hope that with time you will reconsider staying with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Hungarian first
Alloa scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We were also at Murder Mystery Night having purchased through Itison along with our friends.Our rooms were fine and we enjoyed the evening.Problems started when we went to have breakfast it seems the hotel did not expect all of its guests to eat breakfast !!!! We had to sit and wait for a table to become available first of all and then the fun started ......no food ready cold or hot all the trays were empty they ran out of orange juice no rolls or croissants no toast ??? Essential breakfast ingredients I would have thought !! We did get a pot of coffee from a young waitress who was taking all the flak for a poorly managed kitchen.She was really stressed and kept apologising to us. The other staff were no help whatsoever they just kept telling us that the food was coming out of kitchen soon ??? If this hotel can't cope with holding theme nights along with weddings then perhaps they should tell Itison who would not sell people deals. We left with only having coffee as we weren't prepared to wait any longer on food having waited almost an hour !!! Faulty Towers springs to mind only difference is that they are funny and doesn't cost us money.
Would not stay here again due to the breakfast experience.One of the treats of having a nice away break includes having a good breakfast to set you up for day ahead this was not the case here.!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Louisa C, Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Please allow me to first and foremost apologise for the breakfast service, or lack of it, that you experienced during your stay with us.
Whilst I am very pleased that you enjoyed your evening at the Murder Mystery event, it disappoints me greatly to know that this was marred by the breakfast experience the following morning.
With a new management team on board, Breakfast is one of the areas we are looking hard at to improve, develop and certainly be more prepared in the event of busy occasions. I would really like to hope that no-one in the future has cause to liken us to 'Fawlty Towers'.
I agree that one of the great treats to staying away is the breakfast in the morning, and I appreciate that we did not manage this for you on this occasion; it would be a disappointment though for you not to return, having enjoyed other elements of your stay, based on a bad morning experience.
Should you wish to give us another chance in the future, please contact me directly on Operations@queensferryfifehotel.co.uk so that I can ensure a different experience.

Travellers are raving about these North Queensferry hotels

East Kilbride, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Booked this as a surprise for my husband. Murder mystery night. On arrival at hotel checked in and everything seemed ok. Decided to have lunch in hotel, my husband ordered a lager for himself and a tia maria and coke for me. After waiting 10 minutes the barmaid re-appeared to inform us there was no tia maria in hotel had to settle for a shandy. This did not bode well for the enjoyment of the murder mystery that night. Going back lunch was ok nothing great, service very slow.
Murder mystery night was very good. The meal was nice, but yet again poor service at the bar let the hotel down badly. The following morning had the serious misfortune of trying to have breakfast. We had to sit at a table that was dirty and wait for 10 mins for the table to be cleared. Nice young girl came and took our order for tea, coffee and toast. I then went up and queued for my breakfast which took ten minutes as had to wait on bacon, eggs etc as they kept running out. My husband queued for another 15 - 20 minutes and gave up on having a full breakfast as they kept running out of everything all the time. Nothing seemed to be planned, and the staff( apart from the young girl who was run off her feet) didnt seem to care. My husband eventually gave up on breakfast and we checked out telling the receptionist of the shambles.
We are sorely disappointed and will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jane w
Louisa C, Sales Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Guest feedback is vital in helping us grow and develop as a team.

I'm saddened that you were disappointed by your time with us and can only apologise for this. I have passed on your comments to our Operations Manager who will be reviewing the service at breakfast as a priority.

I am pleased to note, however, that you did enjoy the murder mystery evening and hope that with time you will reconsider staying with us again.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Went for a wedding and was unimpressed.
Staff were mostly young- absolutely lovely, but inexperienced and not trained properly.
Clean linen was on the floor of corridor outside the room-they were propping doors open with clean towels!!Spoke to a few guests who were also disgusted by this. We complained about it to the receptionist at the front desk, but the linen was still on the floor 4 hours later.
The rooms were clean and well equipped, however there were no ironing facilities in my room-receptionist went to find an iron and ironing board and had to bring it up to the room myself.
Fire alarm went off at 07:00am Saturday morning and all guests came out of their rooms-not a staff member in sight and after 5mins had to call reception to check if there was, indeed a fire! (someone had accidentally pressed the break glass switch). No apology given.
Service was poor at lunch and dinner-food was nice when it came, and good value.
The best thing they have going for them is their lovely staff, although they need better training.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

I'm saddened that you were disappointed by your time with us and can only apologise for this. I have passed on your comments to our Operations Manager who will be reviewing the procedures used by the housekeeping staff as a matter of importance. I have passed on your comments regarding the poor service you received in our restaurant to our Food and Beverage Manager who will investigate this further.

I hope that you have not been too heavily deterred form visiting the hotel again and look forward to welcoming you back to the Queensferry Hotel again soon
Dunfermline
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Had an overnight stay from a deal. Thoroughly enjoyed it and staff made us very welcome from the minute we arrived till we left. Room was at the back on the ground floor but was clean and very comfortable. Knowing the area we did not mind we did not have a view looking over the Bridges. Meal in the restaurant was superb and Scott the waiter was very efficient. A super stay and hopefully be able to return sooner rather than later.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, and have passed on your kind comments to Scott and the rest of the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Queensferry Hotel again soon
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Booked in for 12 noon and there was a major clean up going on with hoover on. We were none the less welcomed and invited to have a seat at the window while the hoover was moved away. Two courses were very slow in arriving we didn't have second course till 1 o clock. First course was very good, the sour dough bread was toasted with a poached quails egg on top and my husband had a salmon cakes with a little salad. The send course was gnocchi with truffle oil and my husband had fish (Coley) and chips neither were particularly appetising however we carried on with coffees and cheese. The coffee came first and then the cheese so by the time we got round to drinking the coffees they were tepid. The three cheese were cheddar, brie and blue cheese all of which were very tasty. We felt as though we had walked into the wrong hotel and the staff were all talking among themselves, they didn't seem to pleased, but they were very good at serving us but it did take sometime.

Room Tip: we didn't stay in the hotel we only had lunch.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Louisa C, Sales Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience with us. Guest feedback is vital in helping us grow and develop as a team.

I'm disappointed to read that you felt underwhelmed by your lunch with us, this is certainly not the norm. I can only apologise for the poor service you received and have passed your comments on to the Food and Beverage Manager to review with his staff.

I hope that this experience has not deterred you too heavily and hope to see you back in the North Shore Restaurant soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at The Queensferry Hotel over the Easter Weekend. Upon arrival we were greeted by the receptionist with a sincere warn welcome.

We were allocated Room 101 which I hoped wouldn't be a bad omen. Quite the contrary!

En-suite room which was adequately featured with widescreen TV, coffee and tea making facilities.

A small niggle: Housekeeping was perhaps a bit sloppy. Beds weren't made daily neither was the room tidied. Windowsills were very dusty.
Fresh towels were supplied daily. Beds and pillows were comfortable. More pillows available upon request.

Decor Throughout the hotel was a bit tired and in need of some long overdue TLC.

Food: Breakfast the choices are endless
Can't comment on Dinner because we were out of an evening. Though the menu made interesting reading. Standards appeared to be quite high.

Bar area was relaxing with subdued lighting and tasteful decor. Sadly, the faux leather sofas were extremely uncomfortable because of the low back.
The bar was adequately stocked. Prices fairly standard as anywhere else. The young chap working behind the bar was chatty and personable.

Staff were genuinely pleasant, nothing was too much trouble. Mara (I hope I've spelled your name correctly) was a star. We liked her a lot.

Finally: if you're looking for a clean, nicely featured hotel run by lovely professional staff; The Queensferry Hotel would definitely be my first choice!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, and have passed on your kind comments to the rest of the team. I have passed on your comments regarding the housekeeping to our Front of House Manager who will investigate this further.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Queensferry Hotel again soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Queensferry
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,778 reviews
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Que...
#2 of 4 in South Queensferry
The Staghead Hotel
#4 of 4 in South Queensferry
Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh Airport

Been to The Queensferry Hotel? Share your experiences!