DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Both my husband and I are not nitpicky about food and are up for giving anything a go. We have just returned home from this restaurant. It was the worst meal we have had. As we saw other people being given table service, we presumed we would be the same for us but we had to order from the bar. It took at least twenty minutes for us to get our drink- which was a diet coke and a normal coke- not the most taxing drink to get two cans out of the fridge. We also had our toddler with us who thankfully was being extremely patient- the waitress seemed a bit confused about getting a highchair for her.

When the food did eventually arrive at approximately fifty minutes after we ordered it, we both found the battered fish and "homemade" chips to be very greasy and lacking in a decent amount of fish. Our toddler who normally eats anything was even turning it down. My husbands was well overcooked and mine was undercooked.

I would completely understand if the restaurant was busy, but it was us and perhaps four other small parties there. The service from the waitress was appalling. There were no checks given when we finally received our food- despite her doing it with other customers. There was no apology for the food being so late or any sort of excuse given- not even a goodbye as we left with our toddler still trying to eating the food.

I will not be returning and advise anyone that enjoys good food and good service to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Yvonne M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear jajM85,

I was terribly disheartened to have read your review following your experience in our restaurant/lounge. I am truly sorry that yourself and your family had such a poor experience with both the service and the food quality. Having just received another very similar review, I am concerned that an area upon which we normally pride ourselves has provided so much discontent. I would very much like to know a few more further details of your experience such as dates & times so that I can better understand what happened and go a way to ensuring that this does not become a common place issue. My email address is operations@queensferryfifehotel.co.uk.
Once again, please accept my sincerest of apologies and know that I take all comments regards our guest service very seriously.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This review relates to the restaurant only.

There are some establishments in Scotland that offer good food, coupled with great service, at a reasonable price. This is NOT such a place.

Suckered in by the "2 mains and 2 drinks for £20", my wife, baby girl and I were slapped in the face with disappointment after disappointment: no one came to take our order (I ordered at the bar instead, much to the waitress' ire); a 15
minute wait for our drinks (the restaurant was nearly empty and the bar all of ten feet away); then, the kick to the sack no patron ever wants to experience, a
further 30 minute wait for food that was swimming in grease, impossible to cut - battered fish FYI - and frankly disgusting to eat.

Avoid!

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear McFluff101,

I am so sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience in our North Shore Restaurant. This is an area we normally pride ourselves in and I am very disappointed to hear you and your family found both the food and the service so awful. I would very much like to find out further details if your dining experience i.e. dates and times, so that I can better understand how this situation arose; if you would be so kind as to contact me directly by email at operations@queensferryfifehotel.co.uk.
Once again please accept my sincere apologies and know that I take all comments regarding quality and service seriously, with the aim of ensuring there is never cause for further concern.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Unfortunately this Hotel didn't live up to the expectations of the pictures or photographs. The reception area is ok, but once you take a wonder through the corridors you soon notice how tired it really is. Scuff marked walls and peeled paint. We where expecting a room with an amazing view? Our room looked onto a wall of stone and shrubbery about 2 metres from our window, no view at all. The room it's self was adequate, not the cleanest, dust round the edges of the carpet and windows, a large dirty water mark on the floor where the radiator had been leaking, the furniture was old and worn. bedding was fresh and there were clean towels in the bathroom.
The restaurant, again was in need of redecoration, a nice view over the river if you get a window table, we stayed for 2 nights, the first evening we ate at the restaurant, it was not a large menu, but the food was beautiful. The second night we ate their though, we were disappointed to find that there was no change in the menu, the soup of the day was the same as the day before and both the chicken and vegaterien choice was not available!.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful and are probably what keep the place going.
I hope a complete refurb is on the cards as it does have the potential to be a very nice hotel, but I would not stay again unless it had an overhaul.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor front facing room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Louise O
Yvonne M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Louise O,
I am sorry that our hotel did not live up to expectations, although I can confirm that a complete refurbishment is on the cards. Over the next year we are looking to have all the bedrooms renewed as well as the restaurant and public areas. Whilst we would love all our rooms to have the spectacular views over the Forth, unfortunately the layout of the building does not allow for that; although I can appreciate that close-up shrubbery is not ideal, this is an area that we are also working to improve. I am glad you enjoyed the food and found my colleagues friendly and helpful, these are areas that we really pride ourselves on. I hope that we will see you back again one day - we will keep our pictures updated with the renovated areas as they are competed.
Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Arrived around 5pm to the wonderful Kirstin at reception. She really is a made for this job. Friendly, funny and so professional. Loved her. Room not good enough, no problem. Pauline took over and sorted a lovely room to move to. Nothing too much trouble for this great lady. Even at breakfast the next morning with a lovely smile.

Down to dinner around 8pm. Wonderful views from a small Restaurant and bar. Ailsa was on hand to show us to a table. She was so nice and informative. Lovely happy atmosphere comes through all the time. These girls are such an asset to this hotel I really hope the Proprietor realises what wealth he has in them! Whoops must mention the young guy who was also very good - sorry forgot your name but you had a little goatee beard and was very efficient.

But then something happened that hadn't since 1979! I had chosen mussels as my starter. Requested extra garlic and waited. Wow Wow Wow - this was an amazing bowl of mussels, cleaned properly, no beards and the sauce was to die for! Not since 1979 in Canet Plage, France had I experienced such an orgasmic meal!!!! this fab dish was the creation of Head Chef, John. I did ask if he wanted to come home and cook for me but as he is married to Kirstin he declined! John, thank you for a wonderful meal.

To conclude: yeah a tired hotel but the staff, view and food really do make up for it.

Go and see for yourself and with the promise of a total refurb in the pipeline this could be the best hotel around!

Room Tip: Ask for Executive room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank delboyandhoney

Hi delboyandhoney,

I am so pleased to hear what a fantastic time you had whilst staying with us. That you mentioned a number of my colleagues tells me that they truly made a positive impact with you. You are correct in saying that we are expecting a full renovation very soon, which we are very excited about. I hope that we will see you again soon, if not for the rooms then to revisit the staff and maybe some more of those memorable mussels! Thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was the second time of staying as the location is so convenient when travelling up or down the country. Yes, the décor is tired, but a refurb is planned & yes, the menu is limited, but I found something each time that was well prepared & that I enjoyed. The first time we stayed was very nearly the last as the starters we wanted were not available, then neither were our TWO choices of wine(!) but the restaurant manager handled the situation well, produced a more than acceptable alternative at an excellent price & kept us amused at the same time. Breakfast certainly could be better & was disappointing after the standard of the meal we'd had the night before but the relaxed atmosphere & the more than helpful staff -along with the stunning view- go a long way to starting my day off on the right foot. The attitude of the staff particularly, coupled with it's location, makes this a hotel I will definitely return to. After a long day at work a happy, smiling, helpful receptionist makes a huge difference.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view- great to wake up to in the morning
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Louisa C, Sales Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Guest feedback is vital in helping us grow and develop as a team.

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and have passed on your positive comments to the rest of the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Queensferry Hotel on your next stay.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight and was happy with room. Could do with updating though and pillows were very small and uncomfortable. Bar area was pleasant although there was a function on and we felt a bit like we were crashing the do! So maybe a separate bar area for them would be better. Bar offered a small menu but could do with some small bar nibbles and maybe consider sticking non alcoholic beverages for us pregnant ladies(rather than just juice!) Staff were extremely friendly and helpful and breakfast was amazing! Nice views from hotel garden.

• Stayed: June 2014
Louisa C, Sales Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

I'm sorry that you felt a bit out of place amongst all the wedding guests. We are about to enter into a extensive period of renovation which will eventually position the function suits away from the main bar and restaurant area.

Thank you for your kind words on our staff I have passed them on to the rest of the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the Queensferry Hotel once some renovation work has been completed.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We booked this hotel for the location as we were attending the Highland Show. We got to the Hotel around 7:00pm and were greeted by a VERY helpful receptionist. We got checked in easily and efficiently and enquired about the onsite restaurant and subsequently made a booking. We went up to our room and were greeted by a large cobweb hanging from the ceiling. The room was nice enough but needs updating. (Actual key entry, haven't seen that in awhile lol) A coat of paint wouldn't go a miss. The view was lovely but there was paint on the windows that had obviously dripped while being redone and not cleaned up. We went downstairs to the restaurant where the food was nice but a limited menu. The following morning we went to breakfast where the lady in front of us informed the hostess that she was 1 of a party of 13 and the hostess got rather flustered and was a little rude to her. We were then seated and asked if we were wanting toast my husband being American asked if they had rye bread and they said brown or white when it came it was cold like it had been premade we went up to the buffet where the fruit wasn't fresh but out of a can as were the mushrooms, there was black pudding, haggis, tomato, scrambled egg beans sausage and mushroom the eggs were full of water nothing looking like it had been stirred up the Danish selection was not fresh and looked like they had been purchased from Costco in bulk and were quite stale. We then checked out and went on our way. We paid £120.00 pounds for this. I do not feel we got value for money so for this reason I doubt I will be back if we had paid £60-£80 I would have expected this but not £120. Perhaps this was more due to the fact the Highland Show was on.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Angela F
Louisa C, Sales Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us over the highland show weekend. Customer feedback is always welcomed and will be used to further the development of our staff.

I'm sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay. We strive to offer the highest standards of service to our customers and it seems that on this occasion we have fallen short of your expectations. We were exceptionally busy due to the highland show and although this is no excuse it may go some way to explaining some of the issues you encountered.

I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again in the future and would welcome the chance to ensure that your next visit to the Queensferry Hotel is a more enjoyable one.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Queensferry
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Que...
#2 of 4 in South Queensferry
Orocco Pier
#3 of 4 in South Queensferry
Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh Airport

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing? Share your experiences!