“weekend break 18thJuly”

DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We arrived after six and were booked in by Leona who was extremely cheerful and helpful We were pleasantly surprised at our room yes it is date but it was spotlessly clean and the view( once we got used to the part of the roof we could) see was fabulous The restaurant was lovely and the view amazing The service on the first night started of well with Kirsty but when some other guests arrived whether they were friends or maybe vips who knows Kirsty lost interest in anyone else and stood talking to these people even when I walked over and asked her for some butter she rushed over plonked it on the table and rushed back to finish her conversation not once did she come and ask if we needed anything else Food was good apart from the batter on the fish which was very greasy but the fish itself was tasty.The steak pie which was fatty and had the most weird pastry on it and a very disappointing cheese board two of the smallest bits of cheese for six pounds was very over priced The rest of the food very good the mussels chicken and the belly pork went down well. The service from all of the other members of staff couldn't be faulted .All in all we had a very good stay at this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to return We booked through Easy Breaks an d found this great value for money .I must mention Pauline and Scott who were very helpful . the gardens were beautiful even in the rain and the view of the bridges amazing.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathersdunston
Yvonne M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear katherdunston,

Firstly I want to say thank you for the well rounded summary of your stay, you have given me pride in certain members of our team and allowed me to address inconsistencies in others. Equally, Chef has taken on board your comments and amended some of the ways in which we prepare meals for our guests. I do hope that we will see you back at the hotel in the future, hopefully at a time when the sun is shining for you to better appreciate the views.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Tonight On check in told busy night with a large party booked in and asked to book an available time slot in restaurant. Booked for 1945, an hour after arrival. Turned up just before appointed time, told running a bit late. 15 min wait to take order. 45 min later, now 2045, get told what I ordered is not available. Concluded if it takes 3/4 hour to work out the order can't be satisfied there is no point in complaining and walked out. I await the bill with interest to see if they charge me for the meal they could not provide.

I feel sorry for the staff, they get rushed off their feet and then get the flak from unhappy, and hungry, punters like me. By all means sleep there, just don't eat but then be prepared to take a taxi because it does not look as if there is anywhere else within easy walking distance; perhaps that's is why there seems to be little interest in having enough staff onsite to cook and serve food in a reasonable timescale.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Martin C

Dear Martin,
I am truly sorry that you experience such poor service in our restaurant on that particular Monday night. It is most definitely not our intention at the hotel to not be in a position to provide meals for our guests and to provide substandard service. Whilst I do not in any way wish to provide excuses for the poor treatment you received I can advise you that the issues that led to that particular situation that night have been resolved. I appreciate this does not undo the terrible inconvenience you faced but may go some way to assuring you it is most certainly not a regularity. My sincerest apologies once again.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night with my partner and 5year old son.
First impressions of the hotel were great. Hotel looks lovely in the public areas and the bedrooms are spacious and well equipped. However the bed was very soft, which wasn't very comfortable.
Ate in the hotel restaurant, waited a while but there was a wedding on at the same time. Food okay, however very disappointed about the kids fish and chips. Plate was swimming in oil from the batter and chips - no wonder he didn't eat it.
This place could be great as has great views and is ideally situated, but needs a few tweeks here and there.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Fiona F
Yvonne M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Fiona F,

I am glad that you see the potential in the hotel. We are working very hard to ensure each of our guests has a memorable stay, for the right reasons. The views from the hotel's front rooms are very special and as we progress through our period of refurbishment over the next 12 months, the bedrooms will become fittingly comfortable and well appointed - also every room will receive a brand new mattress. With regards your dinner experience, you will likely have seen the similar comments relating to the fish and chips, this is something that is very disappointing for us and our Head Chef has taken as a personal challenge to ensure never happens again. I do thanks you for your comments, and hope that we will see you again once we have dealt with those tweaks.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Both my husband and I are not nitpicky about food and are up for giving anything a go. We have just returned home from this restaurant. It was the worst meal we have had. As we saw other people being given table service, we presumed we would be the same for us but we had to order from the bar. It took at least twenty minutes for us to get our drink- which was a diet coke and a normal coke- not the most taxing drink to get two cans out of the fridge. We also had our toddler with us who thankfully was being extremely patient- the waitress seemed a bit confused about getting a highchair for her.

When the food did eventually arrive at approximately fifty minutes after we ordered it, we both found the battered fish and "homemade" chips to be very greasy and lacking in a decent amount of fish. Our toddler who normally eats anything was even turning it down. My husbands was well overcooked and mine was undercooked.

I would completely understand if the restaurant was busy, but it was us and perhaps four other small parties there. The service from the waitress was appalling. There were no checks given when we finally received our food- despite her doing it with other customers. There was no apology for the food being so late or any sort of excuse given- not even a goodbye as we left with our toddler still trying to eating the food.

I will not be returning and advise anyone that enjoys good food and good service to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear jajM85,

I was terribly disheartened to have read your review following your experience in our restaurant/lounge. I am truly sorry that yourself and your family had such a poor experience with both the service and the food quality. Having just received another very similar review, I am concerned that an area upon which we normally pride ourselves has provided so much discontent. I would very much like to know a few more further details of your experience such as dates & times so that I can better understand what happened and go a way to ensuring that this does not become a common place issue. My email address is operations@queensferryfifehotel.co.uk.
Once again, please accept my sincerest of apologies and know that I take all comments regards our guest service very seriously.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This review relates to the restaurant only.

There are some establishments in Scotland that offer good food, coupled with great service, at a reasonable price. This is NOT such a place.

Suckered in by the "2 mains and 2 drinks for £20", my wife, baby girl and I were slapped in the face with disappointment after disappointment: no one came to take our order (I ordered at the bar instead, much to the waitress' ire); a 15
minute wait for our drinks (the restaurant was nearly empty and the bar all of ten feet away); then, the kick to the sack no patron ever wants to experience, a
further 30 minute wait for food that was swimming in grease, impossible to cut - battered fish FYI - and frankly disgusting to eat.

Avoid!

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear McFluff101,

I am so sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience in our North Shore Restaurant. This is an area we normally pride ourselves in and I am very disappointed to hear you and your family found both the food and the service so awful. I would very much like to find out further details if your dining experience i.e. dates and times, so that I can better understand how this situation arose; if you would be so kind as to contact me directly by email at operations@queensferryfifehotel.co.uk.
Once again please accept my sincere apologies and know that I take all comments regarding quality and service seriously, with the aim of ensuring there is never cause for further concern.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Unfortunately this Hotel didn't live up to the expectations of the pictures or photographs. The reception area is ok, but once you take a wonder through the corridors you soon notice how tired it really is. Scuff marked walls and peeled paint. We where expecting a room with an amazing view? Our room looked onto a wall of stone and shrubbery about 2 metres from our window, no view at all. The room it's self was adequate, not the cleanest, dust round the edges of the carpet and windows, a large dirty water mark on the floor where the radiator had been leaking, the furniture was old and worn. bedding was fresh and there were clean towels in the bathroom.
The restaurant, again was in need of redecoration, a nice view over the river if you get a window table, we stayed for 2 nights, the first evening we ate at the restaurant, it was not a large menu, but the food was beautiful. The second night we ate their though, we were disappointed to find that there was no change in the menu, the soup of the day was the same as the day before and both the chicken and vegaterien choice was not available!.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful and are probably what keep the place going.
I hope a complete refurb is on the cards as it does have the potential to be a very nice hotel, but I would not stay again unless it had an overhaul.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor front facing room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Louise O
Yvonne M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Louise O,
I am sorry that our hotel did not live up to expectations, although I can confirm that a complete refurbishment is on the cards. Over the next year we are looking to have all the bedrooms renewed as well as the restaurant and public areas. Whilst we would love all our rooms to have the spectacular views over the Forth, unfortunately the layout of the building does not allow for that; although I can appreciate that close-up shrubbery is not ideal, this is an area that we are also working to improve. I am glad you enjoyed the food and found my colleagues friendly and helpful, these are areas that we really pride ourselves on. I hope that we will see you back again one day - we will keep our pictures updated with the renovated areas as they are competed.
Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Arrived around 5pm to the wonderful Kirstin at reception. She really is a made for this job. Friendly, funny and so professional. Loved her. Room not good enough, no problem. Pauline took over and sorted a lovely room to move to. Nothing too much trouble for this great lady. Even at breakfast the next morning with a lovely smile.

Down to dinner around 8pm. Wonderful views from a small Restaurant and bar. Ailsa was on hand to show us to a table. She was so nice and informative. Lovely happy atmosphere comes through all the time. These girls are such an asset to this hotel I really hope the Proprietor realises what wealth he has in them! Whoops must mention the young guy who was also very good - sorry forgot your name but you had a little goatee beard and was very efficient.

But then something happened that hadn't since 1979! I had chosen mussels as my starter. Requested extra garlic and waited. Wow Wow Wow - this was an amazing bowl of mussels, cleaned properly, no beards and the sauce was to die for! Not since 1979 in Canet Plage, France had I experienced such an orgasmic meal!!!! this fab dish was the creation of Head Chef, John. I did ask if he wanted to come home and cook for me but as he is married to Kirstin he declined! John, thank you for a wonderful meal.

To conclude: yeah a tired hotel but the staff, view and food really do make up for it.

Go and see for yourself and with the promise of a total refurb in the pipeline this could be the best hotel around!

Room Tip: Ask for Executive room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank delboyandhoney

Hi delboyandhoney,

I am so pleased to hear what a fantastic time you had whilst staying with us. That you mentioned a number of my colleagues tells me that they truly made a positive impact with you. You are correct in saying that we are expecting a full renovation very soon, which we are very excited about. I hope that we will see you again soon, if not for the rooms then to revisit the staff and maybe some more of those memorable mussels! Thank you for your kind comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Queensferry
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Que...
#2 of 4 in South Queensferry
Orocco Pier
#3 of 4 in South Queensferry
Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh Airport

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing? Share your experiences!