“My first, but not my last stay at the Douglas!”
Review of The Douglas Hotel

The Douglas Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Brodick
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We usually stay at Auchrannie when we visit Arran but the prices they quoted were very high so decided to look elsewhere. Decided on the Douglas and we (eight of us) were not disappointed. The hotel is just opposite the ferry at Brodick. The quality and finish of the hotel is really superb - first class. Loved the decor. The rooms are lovely - very spacious, luxurious and well equipped. The home made shortbread in the room was delicious and a really nice touch compared to the usual bought biscuits. There were three people in our room and only two cups and saucers, but a phonecall to reception rectifed this. The room we stayed in (107) was great but the bath was steeper than the average. Not a problem for us but may be difficult for some to step in and out of. We changed our original booking to the Valentine offer and enjoyed one dinner, two nights bed and breakfast and a bottle of prosecco per room. A great deal. Reception staff were very helpful. Dinner, which was a tad slow to be served (the restaurant was busy) was really delicious. I personally enjoyed every single mouthful! Breakfast was cooked to order. A nice selection of prepared fruits; yoghurt, croissants etc to serve yourself. One member of our party felt that some items on his cooked breakfast was a bit cool but apart from that we all enjoyed breakfast.
Below is a quote from the hotels brochure
" Arran's newest hotel.....luxurious combination of tradition, elegant design and wonderful accomodation. You will find the Douglas Hotel Staff courteous, warm and friendly".
Did it live up to this claim - yes it did!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Just returned from a one night stay at the Douglas. Took up an offer for dinner bed and breakfast for 2 for £69 on voucher website yamolo. It's an astonishing deal given the standard of the hotel.

Our room was excellent (102) with views out to sea, very good size with excellent bathroom, everything was of high quality.

Was disappointed that our deal didn't really give us a choice at dinner but I can understand why at the price. The food however was excellent (I wouldn't normally choose sea bream).

Our waiter Stephen (I think) was excellent at dinner and breakfast. In fact all staff we spoke to were top class.

Breakfast was again fantastic with a choice of anything I could imagine.

Only comment would be to soften up the bar area with armchairs and couches as its not hugely relaxing. minor detail though!

Overall an excellent hotel, it may have been a cheap deal but we will definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 3 February 2012

As a medium sized business owner, My wife and I booked into the Douglas on the recommendation of a colleague as an ideal place to escape London and the stresses of post-Christmas January. We absolutely loved it, the renovations are done to fit the hotels past and are of a very high standard. The room was huge, the manager left a personalised welcome note, the décor , towelling and bedding were bordering on decadent and outstripped our expectations by many factors. The staff treated us as long lost friends and there was nothing we asked for that seemed to faze them in the slightest, they were frankly brilliant.

We had expected to base ourselves at the Douglas and explore some of the other bars and restaurants on Arran, however we ended up eating breakfast lunch and dinner each of our 4 day stay, this is not our usual pattern but indicative of the quality of the food, service and ambience at the Douglas. Hats off you really were fantastic.

Room Tip: Suites are fantastic
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Being a regular visitor to Arran it was with great expectations that my wife and I booked into the Douglas Hotel. We were not disappointed. From the moment we contacted the hotel till the time we left the service was fabulous. The hotel room was top quality. We also asked to be shown the executive suittes and they are breathtaking. We will be back.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a sea view room to get beautiful views over the bay
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2012

An absolutely superb hotel. Lovely rooms, spacious bathrooms. Wonderfully friendly staff. Great food and the cocktails are, as some have already noted, worth the journey.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I visit Arran regularly and was absolutely blown away by my recent stay here. Fantastic Room (001), excellent bathroon with Arran Aromatics Toiletries. Brilliant location less the 5 minutes walk from the Brodick Ferry Terminal (Most Welcome as it was torrential rain when we arrived).
All in all no complaints whatsoever. I will most definitely return

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights back in October, I'm so glad we did! The place is beautiful and the staff are just so nice!. The owner must be very proud of what he has created here. Try the cocktails in the bar, mmm! and good value. If your visiting Arran try the Douglas I'm sure you'll love it, we will definately be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brodick
Auchrannie Resort
#1 of 7 in Lamlash
The Lagg Hotel
The Lagg Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kilmory

Been to The Douglas Hotel? Share your experiences!