“Excellent Experience”

The Douglas Hotel Bistro
Ranked #6 of 25 Restaurants in Brodick
Price range: US$8 - US$36
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: With its rustic-chic style, The Douglas Bistro has a refreshing simplicity but a serious intent.The cuisine is honest and straightforward in style, bold and hearty in flavour. No fussy preparation or pretentious artistry, just thoughtful and skillful use of good quality produce. The menus are seasonally driven and make use of home-grown or locally-sourced ingredients, with a contemporary twist on flavoursome classics.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I've already posted this review on the Hotel site, but think it's worth repeating on the Bistro site. We booked a table for four of us on the first Saturday in March and had an excellent meal. One of our party follows a Vegan diet and the knowledge and attention to detail of all the staff in providing a balanced vegan meal was excellent. Another of our party doesn't usually like fish, but having looked at the menu, opted for the three fish main course and wasn't disappointed. Me, I'm an omnivore and my meal was delicious. All the staff from the head waiter down were polite, courteous, attentive and knowledgable about all the variety of food and drinks which we ordered. We had such a good time that we didn't leave time to stay for the live entertainment in the bar area, but as we passed through, it was clear that that was excellent too !

• Visited March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Airdrie, United Kingdom
“Excellent Meal”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We normally eat in the bar at the hotel at least once during a trip to the island as it has a nice atmosphere, great views and excellent food. This time was no exception, we tried the seafood sharing platter for the first time and would highly recommend it.....good selection of items and just enough for a light meal for 2.

Visited June 2014
Ayr, United Kingdom
“decent food and close to the ferry terminal”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I usually end my Arran trip here. It is 5 minutes away from the ferry terminal, and the food is pretty good. And if the weather is nice, you can eat outside.

Visited July 2013
Irvine, United Kingdom
“Not best customer service :(”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Had lunch here while on the island on business and had praised it before to my partner. The staff didn't acknowledge we were there, only one member of staff serving and he took a long time to serve the people before us. When I asked about lighter options he pointed to the wall a smaller than A4 size menu which I had to relay back to my partner, no menu I could take back to the table. They take your debit card from you and keep it until you leave which I wasn't happy about. Lunch was really good but felt let down by staff. There are plenty of other nice places to eat on the island where the staff can't do enough for you. Disappointed.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Quality sadly lacking”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Vistied Douglas Hotel for diner whilst on holiday and to say I was extremely disppointed would have to be an understatement. When we initially booked the table we were told there was no availability between 7pm and 8pm, so we settled for a table at 6.30pm. When we arrived we wwre met by a young lady who promptly told us (before I could even open my mouth) that there were no tables available at the windows and we were shown to a table in the far corner of the restaurant. Whilst were looking over the menus I could quite cleary hear two of the young female serving staff talking about how they had been out the night before and that one of them had been so ill that morning she had spent most of it throwing up! Not exactly what you want to hear when you are sitting about to have dinner. Our wine was then served by another member of female waiting staff who looked like she had the hangover from hell and could barely get the screw top off the bottle of wine! Food was average (not the greatest menu choice in the world) and slightly, over preteniously, over priced. I don't mind paying for quality but that includes food and service, none of which lived up to it's promise on the Douglas' website. Also the fact that the Restaurant was barely a quarter full between 7pm and 8pm was maddening. We visit Arran regularly and I'm afraid I will not be frequenting the Douglas ever again. Poor.

• Visited June 2014