“We will be back for a longer stay for sure.”
Review of Auchrannie Resort

Auchrannie Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Brodick
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“We will be back for a longer stay for sure.”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

As you may know, if you listen to my radio show, I love to stay in Scotland for holidays or mini breaks and I am just back after a few days on beautiful Arran, just under an hours trip over the firth of clyde.

If you want to wine, dine, pamper or play it’s all there on the island and what a buzz travelling on the ferry. We took our wee boy and it was his first time on the big Cal Mac ferry and when the front opened up to load the cars he kept saying it was like Thunderbirds.

It’s been far too long since me and the family have been over the water to Arran so we decided to spend last Saturday and Sunday on the island and it was a perfect fathers day as we had lunch at a small bistro in Brodick over looking the bay with the castle in the distance. The former fortress dates back to 1510 and was the seat for the Dukes of Hamilton. The castle's history can be traced back as far as the Vikings. The setting is staggering fronted by gardens, hills and overlooked by the majestic mountain of Goatfell.
Imagine what it must have been like to live in this fantastic location, surrounded by fine paintings, antique furniture and precious objects, all of which you can still see today.
At any time of year the gardens are well worth a visit and you can venture out into the country park.

We stayed in a fantastic ultra modern, award winning luxury lodge just 2 mins outside Brodick at the Auchrannie hotel and country club, Glencloy and we loved it so much my wife didn’t want to go home. It was reverse living with the bedrooms down stairs and the lounge, dining room and kitchen all upstairs with a huge decking area on the first floor, perfect for families or couples.

At the Auchrannie lesuire centre and spa we went swimming, pony trekking, walking and my wife was in the gym while I joined my wee boy in the soft play area. Mind you I did enjoy my me time in the spa for an Indian head massage, wow!

The really good thing about a self catering break is you can do your own thing however, you can always make good use of all the nearby restaurants and cafe bars. On our last night we called out for a delivery from the local Chinese takeaway which has one of the best views in Scotland over looking the bay. The water was like glass and with a red sky sunset it was just like a slice of heaven on Arran.

We had a really relaxing and fun time and will return to the island later this year for longer than the 2 days and I fancy playing some golf at the Brodick course with open views across the bay.

Holiday score for Arran... 10 out of 10 ( with no midges in sight )

Please do yourself a favour and visit Scotland sometime. The Auchrannie hotel and lodges are a fantastic place to stay during you stay. What stunning scenery we have in this country of ours, we are so lucky.

Best wishes, Gary Marshall ( broadcaster )

Room Tip: Go to the Auchrannie website for all the pictures
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2011

What can i say.............................................Arrived with my wife, 4 year old and a black labrador!! I have never been to such an accomadating hotel EVER....... Room was awsome (overlooking carpark)Spa was excellent, Looking forward to the playbarn. Food Food Food can only be described as sensational and good value for money! A vegaterian;s haven ;) QUORN on the MENU woo hoo.
So good we are going back early next month.

Saltcoats, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2011

This visit was my second in as many months to the Auchrannie, both times with my fiance. The staff are so friendly and helpful. The food is amazing. I can't wait to go back. They offer so many fantastic services, such as, pick up from the ferry to beauty therapy. The have great deals on throughout the year as well.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2011

The hotel was lovely, room huge and restaurants excellent - the pizzas in Cruise are worth a try, as are the 'Achrannie' liqueur coffees and the mussels in Brambles. Staff welcoming and pleasant - especially Aileen in the Spa. Free (and fast) Wifi was a bonus. Perfect stay, beautiful island, we'll be back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gillianhastie
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I have just returned from a fantastic stay at the Auchrannie spa resort. After years of trying to persude me to try Scotland for a wee holiday my husband won and for the first time Im so glad I listened to him!
I could not fault the Auchrannie for anything! The staff were so friendly and eager to help, the atmosphere was so warm and welcomming, the place was absolutley spotless, the room was super clean and comfortable. We chose to eat at the resturaunt within the spa resort called Cruize and being vegetarian I was a bit scepticle as I usually have trouble finding a good choice of vegetarian food however I can quite honestly say I have never come accross any resturaunt that has quorn on the menu so to say I was delighted was an understatement! The Thai red curry with quorn and quorn fajitas were fantastic. However my Husband had a burger and said it was the best he had ever tasted! I would return to The Auchrannie just for a meal in Cruize! Our 4 year old son also had a ball in the swimming pool which again was fantastic, the staff in the spa were lovely, it was spotlessly clean and had great facilities. We will definatly be returning for another stay and will look forward to it as it really is the perfect get away.

Scotland
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Having three boys between 8 and 14 to look after for a weekend we took ourselves to Auchrannie Spa. The boys had all they wanted - new friends, swimming, games, sportshall activities, good child-friendly food. All in all it was a trouble free weekend for us and we returned to a pristine home!
Quality accommodation, friendly staff and good adult food too!

ArranMan, Manager at Auchrannie Resort, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
It's great to hear that you enjoyed your 'trouble free' week-end with your three grandchildren here at Auchrannie Spa Resort.

Thanks for the review, and we look forward to seeing you for another visit again soon.
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My husband and I were travelling to Arran for a wedding. Since we were enjoying a child-free weekend we fancied some comfortable surroundings and we were not disappointed. I enjoyed some great treatments on site. We slept like Kings. The rooms were very comfortable and, other than a slight leak in the bathroom, in very good condition. We tested 2 of the 3 restaurants on site. These were both of very high standard. Especially the incredibly fresh "scampi and chips" at Brambles. We were keen to try the pool at the Country House hotel (which seemed quieter and more soothing for our hangover) on the Sunday but this appeared temporarily closed, which was a little disappointing, to be honest. Only other gripe was that the Cruize bar seemed low on bar snack stock. We missed the lunch slot on Sunday and suffered a little whilst waiting for the kitchens to reopen. To conclude, the staff were all very keen and eager. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brodick
The Douglas Hotel
#1 of 7 in Lamlash
Corrie Hotel
Corrie Hotel
#1 of 2 in Corrie

Been to Auchrannie Resort? Share your experiences!