Lochranza Youth Hostel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Anchor Hotel(Tarbert)
US$202
Travelocity
US$118
US$110
The Glenburn Hotel Ltd(Rothesay)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Stonefield Castle Hotel(Tarbert)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$211
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
The Royal an Lochan(Tighnabruaich)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe kitchendrying roomcontinental breakfastlochranza castlered deerstunning locationvery friendly and helpful stafflocal areagreat facilitieslounge areabedroom windowgroup of friendsa great stayother guestsferryislanddistillery
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I decided to give Youth Hostel accommodation a go for the first time (even though I'm 40 years old) and was staying as a family of four. I chose to stay there as I liked the location and the fact it had been recently refurbished. Overall I thought the facilities were quite basic, 2 sets of bunk beds in an en-suite room. Rightly or wrongly I was under the impression we would have had a double bed and set of bunks. Had an issue with the shower which began with a reasonable temperature and flow rate which then reduced to a cold trickle. The hostel was not at full occupancy so I don't accept this was due to over demand.

I was disappointed in the price - over £150.00 for two nights - which was bed only as we were entirely self catering. Up to now I was under the impression that the association was cheap and cheerful. Cheerful maybe, but certainly not cheap and arguably not value for money.

Room Tip: Check out room rates and facilities and maybe wait until shower system has been upgraded.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This really is a beautiful big old building, and still manages to maintain a good sense of 'grandeur' in its current 'hostel' form. It is a stunning location, and there were deer and stags in the grounds around the clock (or at least they were there each time I looked from my bedroom window, and the lounge windows).

Steve, the guy who manages the place is very accommodating and went out of his way (and came back to work out of hours for us.. and was entirely understanding and helpful), when our daughter took ill, our holiday needed to be cut short, and we needed another room to separate the party. Steve simply answered an 'out of hours' call, came into the reception and allocated us another en-suite next-door to the one we were already in (to allow 2 of our party of 4 to get some sleep and rest ahead of our 'earlier than planned' journey home the next morning.

Anyhow, both ensuite rooms were fresh, clean and well equipped. The entire house has been modernised and it really is looking good. The kitchen facilities are great...plenty of room for everyone...and there were school parties, families, couples and single people staying during our time there, all sharing the facilities with ease. There are two lounges and a computer / internet access room too. One lounge has a TV, Video & dvd player, as well as many games and books etc. The second is smaller with no tv or anything llike that, but still as comfortable with sofa's and tables and great views from the windows...both have!

The only issues I have are with the value for money. It cost us over £150 to share a 4 bunk ensuite room with our kids (booking price was for this room for 2 nights)....and it is clean, tidy and fresh, but it is small. It is lovely, but just not the price you expect for a pllace to get your head down for the night and prepare a meal. It is not as if you are being served in any way. That, however is more of an issue with youth hostels generally. No longer are they the 'cheaper alternative' to hotels & B&B's, particulalry if you compare the level of service provided. The second issue is with the internet access cost. I don't really have too much of an issue with having to pay for accessing their very lovely computers and internet, which is £1 for a mere 20 mins, but I don't really think the same charge should be applied for Wi-fi.

However, these issues are not confined to this particular Hostel, which is a really lovely place to stay and self cater. Steve is a great manager who aims to please and ensure the Hostel guests feel comfortable and valued. It is very clear that he works hard at keeping the rooms and common areas very clean and inviting.

Thanks Steve for your help with our 'mini crisis', oh, and we caught the 11.05 ferry as the bloke working on the terminal put us stright into one of the pre-booked lanes, even though the ferry was fully booked.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2011

At a friend's suggestion as part of a group of walkers, she booked us a a diyubke room o
ensuite room which looked very nice on arrival. The nice ended there. Firstly there were hornets in the room becaue of a nest next to our windo. This made it impossible to open the only ventilation in the room and it was stuffy. The shower did not work because as the manager admitted 'the boiler was not big enough' to support all of the peoople who wanted showers at any one time. His suggestion was to wait half an hour and try again. I did this at one stage during the weekend and got a 5 minute shower and then the water just stopped! no compensation was offered despite complaining three times. All I got was that they could call a plumber who could come in two days. also he stated that 'no one else complained!' so it must have just been us!!

Needless to say, we will be camping next time - at least their showers worked!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We stayed at the Lochranza SYHA hostel, Isle of Arran, Scotland, from the 2nd to the 4th of July 2011. My party consisted of two adults and two children.

It has been almost thirty years since I last stayed in a Scottish youth hostel and I was pleasantly surprised by the modern accommodation and facilities. The days of large dormitories, sleep sheets, chores and curfews seems a lifetime ago. Instead I discovered en suite rooms, a modern, complete kitchen and dining area (all spotless) and a friendly reception. I believe that the hostel has been refurbished recently. The hostel is set in the most wonderful rural location very close to the picturesque ruins of Lochranza Castle. Our children saw some deer right next to the hostel and loved walking along the shoreline and exploring the castle ruins. We were blessed with excellent weather which also helped – sunset at Lochranza was particularly good. The hostel is also within a mile of both the ferry port (Lochranza to Claonaig) and the Isle of Arran Distillery.

We had an en suite room with two sets of bunk beds which was more than adequate. We used the self-catering facilities throughout our stay, which were excellent. The hostel does offer a continental breakfast service but we had our own supplies.
There is a common room, TV, games and internet access (extra charges apply for internet).

I have no hesitation in recommending this establishment. Indeed I hope I get the opportunity to stay at some future date and use the hostel as a base to do some hill walking.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Duncan B
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Lochranza Hostel was fantastic. New building with lounge, computers for internet access, laundry, kitchen. Helpful staff advised about where to eat/drink and offered to book over the phone. Breakfast (additional cost) was unimpressive but served a purpose. Incredible location right on the bay with views of the castle and deer particularly lovely at sundown.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple