“Last stop on tour of scotland”
Review of Laird & Dog Hotel

and 1 more site!
Laird & Dog Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Lasswade B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Stopped here after a week long trip around scotland, hotel was booked via laterooms as they were cheaper than booking direct. Hotel is on a busy main road, and has a large car park with CCTV.Rooms were a bit tied, but were clean, with all usual facilities including WIFI. Downstairs bar was pretty good and reasonablly proced, Food in hotel is exceptional. There is not much around the hotel other than another up market bar/Bistro.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Laird & Dog Hotel

Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed on Saturday the 8th of September.
Lovely area, safe car park, very nice and friendly staff but old style rooms with tiny bathrooms.
We paid £75 for a twin room and i really i would expect much more for that price.
Carpet was very old and work and the bathroom apart from tiny was also very old.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank n v
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I had booked my husband into this this hotel on three previous occasions and recently had the opportunity to stay there with him whilst travelling on business. The staff in the bar and restaurant are efficient and friendly and obviously want you to enjoy your stay with them. We were allocated room 11 which was spacious and clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Please don't get me wrong, I have no issues with the staff or the meal. It's just the room had a noisy extractor fan outside one window and the smoking area was right outside the other. I think as there was also a live band on, I got the room directly above the stage. Boom, Boom, Boom all night. It was a rare occasion that it was warm so couldn't close the windows. Breakfast wasn't being served until 07:30 becuase it was a Saturday, but I had to be out by 07:00 for work, so they refunded the price of my breakfast.
I only stayed here becuase my usual hotel was full becuase of a wedding, so they recommended the Laird & Dog. So would I stay here again? only if I had too.

Room Tip: It's hard to say. Round the back was noisy, buty then there's a main road to the front. Pot...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Well where do I start !!

Right I will start by saying I have eaten in this establishment many times and the food is excelent so I have no issues there.

My lovely lady booked this hotel for for us to stay at after a party we were going to near by, so we arrived at the hotel that morning and decided to drop our bags off early to save them lying in the car all day and just as wel we did, the staff we met on arrival were very pleasant, they booked us in and then showed us to our double, room 9 was our room and to be honest as soon as we seen it we just looked at each other in amazement, this room was charged out to us at £90 and to be honest my garaage is bigger than this room was, to get to the toilet you had to crawl across the bed from one side to the other, there was a beer mat wedged in the adjoining door between our room and the one next door to stop it rattling, outside the window was the extractor fans for the kitchen which were noisy and made the glass in the windows vibrate, sorry but this was a joke for £90, I went downstairs to speak to a member of staff and explained about the size of the room and the situation with the fans and was told that the fans were only on until the kichen closed !! so I said "then they will come on early in the morning when breakfast is being prepared " and all I got was blank looks, I was however offered another double room, CORRCT the one next door to mines with the same extractor fans and rattly door and I was told it was the same size, I was then offered a twin room but by this time our minds were made up and we told them we had no intentions of staying and left, like I said at the start of my review we have eaten here before and the food is great but in my opinion this was one of the worst rooms I have ever seen, there is more room at a Premier inn or a Travel lodge and for about £50 less.

Soz Laird & Dog it a big NO NO from me

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Holidymaker2010
Reviewed 11 June 2012

With 3 weeks of experiencing Country homes, Hotels, & B & B’s & Pubs from Dover to Anglesey I can confidently guess that say UK tourist accommodation rarely gets wrong. Well, not at all in my experience, and the Laird & Dog is a good example when it gets it right. A room & breakfast rate of 45 pound & a 3 course meal in an airy conservatory for about 15 pound as well as most lovely staff who were genuinely interested in you and could provide not only good tourist advice but change for the bus onto town out of their own pocket. The ensuite rooms were basic and they could lose the rubber under-sheets but had everything you needed for a very good price. If they drop the incontinence sheets I’ll give it a five stars next time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2012

On my way to Edinburgh and needed to find accomodation late evening. Punched in "hotels near me" on the old ipad and this came up. Just wanted a bed for the night so was not too fussed about the amenities on offer so just booked it. Having spent £50 for a room i was not going to expect too much so when I walked in I was actually pleasantly surprised. The bar area was cosy, the staff really friendly and so where the locals. I was shown to my room, a small bedroom with ensuite and a double bed. Not much room for anything else, although it did have tea/coffee making facilities, a small tv on the wall and looked clean and confortable for my night's stay so I was more then satisfied. Back downstairs and to the restaurant for something to eat. Again, the restaurant had a very good menu and for less then £20 had a starter of haggis, main course of muscles and half a litre of wine. Just what I needed after a long day's drive. Next morning back in the restaurant for a full english breakfast which was cooked to perfection. Again, the guy serving in the breakfast bar could not be more friendly and made us feel really welcome. I have stayed in hotels in London and paid twice as much for inferior accomodation. All in all, whilst obviously not being a luxury establishment, I really enjoyed my stay here and would certainly recommend it to anyone who needs a no frills bed for the night near Edinburgh.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lasswade
Premier Inn Edinburgh A7 (Dalkeith) Hotel
Chapel Cross Guesthouse
Mount Ceres Guest House
Mount Ceres Guest House
#3 of 5 in Lasswade

Been to Laird & Dog Hotel? Share your experiences!