“In the area, a good solid choice”
Review of The Melville Inn

The Melville Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Lasswade
Price range: US$9 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Groups, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Melville Inn in Lasswade is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
“In the area, a good solid choice”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We live locally and have tried many of the restaurants of Midlothian and this one is worth a visit. It was friendly, not overpriced or attempting to be gourmet cuisine, which puts me right off. You could say good home cooking.
The bill was not a shock and me and my girls enjoyed it. The children's menu is especially good value, much better quality than many dishes that have been presented to my girls.
Lots of parking, good strong ale showing, a variety of wines and welcoming to families.
I would choose this over many other restaurants in the area.

Musselburgh, United Kingdom
“Worst restaurant iv been to!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Went to the Melville Inn for lunch, and can safely say i will never be back!! We arrived at 13.10 to be told that there was a wait for food. We got our seats and ordered quickly at the bar at 13.15. at 14.10 our main was brought to us. Very simple mains, no garnish. i had a pasta dish, the pasta was al dente, there was not much sauce, disappointing. We then waited 20 mins for our plates to be taken away. we then waited another 20mins and still no sign of our desserts. By this time the restaurant was quiet. we had to go and ask for our desserts, which were finally brought to us. The place seemed very disorganised, no staff doing specific duties. Just everyone doing anything!! Definately would not go back or recommend to anyone.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Hello1680
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Good service, food, atmosphere”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Went shopping in Edinburgh and took a wrong turning on the way home and stumbled upon the Melville Inn. Very nice decor styled to look like an old country farmhouse with odd matching chairs and tables with a mixture of brick walls and old fire places.

We were greeted straight away and given a choice as to where we would like to sit. We didn't even have to ask for a high chair for our son, which we usually have to do.

For starters we ordered Soup of the day which was butternut squash and a cheesy garlic bread tear and share. This was the first time I had butternut squash and to be honest it wasn't for my liking and nothing to do with the chefs cooking.

For our mains I had pork belly resting on cabbage and turnip with a sweet glaze and roasted pear, presentation and taste was very nice. My partner and children had sausage and mash and again the presentation and food was very nice.

Out bill came to just over £50, which is about average for us as we always have a couple of drinks, we will probably come back next time we are in the area.

Dalkeith, United Kingdom
“Take Another Look.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

When the Melville first opened I thought it was awful. Bad service, terrible food and overpriced. Vowed never to return.

I had heard last year it had been taken over by new management and that the reviews were good. So with a little apprehension my wife and I headed back.

What a difference! table service for a start. Shown to our seats with a smile and asked if we'd like a drink. A far cry from the Weatherspoons style order at the bar with table number style that was there before.

I had the sausages and mash while my wife had the Haggis Encroute. Both delicious and good value at only £6.96 (£1 extra for the sausages though).

Lovely atmosphere, great food and great prices. I'll be back. To be honest, we've now been several times since late last year.

Visited February 2014
Edinburgh
“Excellent as always”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Had tea there last night. We have been numerous times and have never had a bad meal.
Food is always perfect, service fast and efficient and staff very organised and friendly.
Definitely worth a visit if you have not been. Its been recently refurbished too. Very child friendly also.