“Beautiful setting, (mainly) splendid food” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Paper Mill
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Lasswade
Price range: US$12 - US$33
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, View, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Overlooking the River Esk, The Paper Mill is a newly opened all day bar and brasserie in an historic and tranquil setting. The Paper Mill is somewhere for locals and visitors alike to pop in for a morning coffee and one of our home baked cakes, Sunday brunch with the papers or an evening meal and a carafe of wine. The bar is home to an ever changing assortment of beers, handpicked from the best Scottish breweries and some premium products from further afield.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting, (mainly) splendid food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Went here with the in laws. Three of the mains were amazing. Portion sizes pretty large. I didn't have chips but apparently they were wonderful as was the beer battered fish. The pan fried chicken with smoke cheese and chive mash was lovely, the chicken still really moist. However the vegetarian ordered risotto which was stodgy and an absolutely massive portion. Great lager and beer selection as well. The service was relaxed but attentive.
The vegetarian choices are limited. I think the Paper Mill needs to look at this and if offering limited veggie choices should at least be able to cook them properly.
We did tell the waitress that the risotto was poor. She offered us an alternative but didn't offer anything off the bill at the end. Maybe we should've been more forceful.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Susanleven

“Run of the mill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We came for lunch . I think I would have gave the review 4 stars if it had been my first visit due to the decor and setting . Yes it's a lovely place and your meal is presented well but the food is pretty average .

1 Thank Russell L
“Another lovely lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

This is my second time at the Paper Mill and I'm pretty sure I'll be back. The staff were all very friendly, and helpful with our buggy - I think happy staff say a lot about a business. The food - all 3 courses - was all very good - the veg&halloumi starter especially as it had far more halloumi than I expected. Service was not quick but not too slow either - about right I'd say despite being quite busy. The reasons for 4/5 rather than 5/5 is because some of the menus were pretty dirty with food stains and the inside of the rubber stopper on the water jug was mouldy - yuk!

1 Thank Denjo208
KC24_12, Owner at The Paper Mill, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for your comments, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you again soon.
Edinburgh
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

On arrival the car park was packed which we thought was a good sign. Upon entry to the restaurant we were impressed by the style and appearance. However, it took a while for us to be seated even though 5 staff were available and the place seemed quiet. When the food arrived we were pretty disappointed with the size and quality considering it wasn't exactly cheap prices. The fish was pretty small and was about 80% batter and 20% fish. The homemade burgers were nice but really small. We passed on having a desert because we were freezing cold at our table. Looks like the outdoor terrace would be a nice place for a drink but disappointed with the restaurant quality/service.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pecmac
KC24_12, Owner at The Paper Mill, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Paper Mill. We value all feedback from our customers. I was sorry to hear you were disappointed with your visit, and apologise on behalf of everyone here.

I have followed up your comments with the team, if you wish to discuss this further with me please do not hesitate to contact me on the details below.

Kind regards
Karen Calvert
info@thepapermill-lasswade.co.uk
“45 minutes wait for overcooked food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Have been to the restaurant a few times now. The first visit was faultless, subsequent visits have been okay, but on this occasion we waited 45 minutes for lunch to be served (arrived at 2:20pm today).

The dining room was busy but food did not seem to be getting prepared quickly for any of the tables. We ordered a rare steak, a medium/rare steak and a Scrabster Haddock with sides of bread and sugar snap peas. When our lunch did arrive, the steaks were overcooked and tough - rare looked decidedly medium and medium/rare was definitely well done!! The fish was so full of large bones that it was inedible. All three plates were returned to the waitress who said her manageress was down stairs checking with the chef. The manageress eventually returned some time later and advised us that it was a bad batch of fish, and human error regarding the steaks. She asked us what we wanted to do. We said we would pay for our wine only, and she then presented us with a bill for wine, bread and sugar snap peas. I told her I would only settle for the wine, and she removed the other items.

A good recovery from the manageress would have been to wipe out all changes and apologise for the ruined outing in the hope that we would return to give them another chance. That it VERY unlikely now.

• Visited April 2014