“A Lovely Country Cottage B&B”
Review of Dunesk Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lasswade
Dunesk Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Lasswade B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2013

What a charming place. A previous gate house with a paddock for horses and beautiful well kept gardens. The living room is open and bright with views of gardens and the country surroundings.

Marjorie is a wonderful hostess, always helping you with planning and insuring your stay is comfortable. Bedrooms and guest common areas are very clean and welcoming for visitors. The friendly dog and horses provide a unique stay.

The breakfasts are prepared to your liking with several choices selected the evening before. Yes, Majories homemade jams are heavenly. You will grow to love this woman if you take the time to stay at Dunesk Lodge (our stay was 3 days).

The location in Lasswade is close to two restaurant pubs and bus travel to Edinburgh is only 25 minutes. The walk around the village is pleasant with a lovely stream and several bridges. A short drive to Rosslyn castle and chapel are worth the visit. The nature trail to the waters edge and beyond is a lovely half day experience.

Take the opportunity to stay at Dunesk if you want to a mix of city access and Scottish country/village life. Lovely lanes and walks to wear off the fantastic breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BW T

Reviewed 27 March 2013

We spent a very comfortable night at Dunesk Lodge which we chose partly because the house looked attractive but also because we saw it was very conveniently located for our proposed visit to Rosslyn Chapel. Marjorie made us feel very welcome: the tea and cake in front of her woodstove in the cosy sitting-room was just what we needed after our long journey. Our room was very comfortable and well-appointed. I agree with a previous reviewer that the underfloor heating in the en suite bathroom is a stroke of genius. Breakfast was delicious with a wide selection of cereals, fresh fruit and yoghurt to start, followed by a full Scottish cooked to order by Marjorie in her Aga. We'd certainly consider a return visit to Dunesk Lodge when in the Edinburgh area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather_OsborneHouse
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I have stayed at this lovely B&B for many times as my business brought me to Dalkeith & Edinburgh. If you need a comfy place away from the busy life of the City this is where you should stay. The rooms I have stayed in are spacious, comfortable, one has very luxurious bathroom indeed (can't resist to highlight the underfloor heating in the bathroom) and generally speaking all you would want and need. I also like the fact that you are in a separate part of the building which gives you not only privacy but also a lovely view over fields and nearby woods. Once you have woken up, relaxed and fresh the best is still to come, yep, the breakfast - I have always been asked if I would like something in particular the night before so my personal choices ranged from cereals, fruit and yes I had some cooked breakfasts as well. The next time I am in Edinburgh, I know where to go!

Room Tip: all rooms are equally spacious and comfy but I liked the one at the very end of the house most
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Yoz4u
Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

Being our first visit to the area ,we were pleasantly surprised at how lovely this B &B was . The rooms were spotlessly clean and had all facilities that you would need including a beautiful new and modern bathroom.
Marjorie out host was so friendly and accommodating , and breakfast went down a treat .
I wouldn't hesitate to visit again and would recommend .

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Tramilla
Reviewed 28 February 2013

The proprietrix of Dunesk Lodge is of the old school - not by virtue of age you understand, but more that of providing an old-fashioned, excellent service in all departments. The setting of the B&B is beautifully rural but within a surprisingly short hop to the centre of Scotland's capital and the accommodation is faultless. All expectations are met until breakfast - a proper Scottish one which in terms of quality completely exceeded normal standards. I would have no hesitation in recommending Dunesk Lodge which is a real, hidden gem.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geunda
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Dunesk Lodge set amidst endless acres of garden and pastures, perfectly combines a historic appearance with all comforts of modern life. Despite its picturesque rural location, it is close to all Edinburgh and Midlothian attractions. The bus station, offering a regular service to Scotland’s capital, is only a few meters away, making Dunesk Lodge the ideal retreat for tourists and business travelers alike. Enjoy its tranquility and peace to recharge your batteries for the next day’s adventures!

All attractively and at the same time highly functionally furnished bedrooms are fully equipped with superior, immaculately clean en suite facilities. Can you think of a better way to end an active day out than with a hot (!!!!) bath and cosy pre-warmed towels?

Every guest is greeted with the warmest welcome you can wish for. Dunesk Lodge is not only famed for its cordial atmosphere, but also renowned for its home-made breakfast! Every possible care is taken to cater to guests' individual requirements and preferences. Marjorie’s cooking is second to none and cannot be beat, neither in quality nor quantity. Indulge yourself! It is a treat! You will not regret it.

We first came to Dunesk Lodge to arrange our wedding in Scotland and have been so captivated by the lovely house and its charming hostess; we instantly made it our “headquarters”. We highly appreciated Marjorie’s vast knowledge of the area, and so will you. Be it sports, theater, museums, sightseeing, shopping, eating out, just ask Marjorie. You can count on her support! Staying at Dunesk Lodge is like being home from home! And we will always be coming back….

Stop searching! You won’t find a better place to stay! You will love it just as we do!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisTanja
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I stayed at this beautiful cottage for my graduation in November and really enjoyed my stay there. The room is very cosy with all modern facilities and the landlady even put a warming blanket into the bed to keep me warm. Everything was to a very high standard and expecially the bathroom can easily compare with any top class hotel. Anyone coming from the continent will appreciate the landlady's making a great effort to provide an excellent breakfast with plenty of fresh fruit and on request the best of the typical 'English breakfast'. I can highly recommend this place - only you should have a satnav to find it - as the cottage is quite hidden and if like me you arrive in the dark. I already look forward to my next stay there :-)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo