“Great hospitality”

The Original Rosslyn Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Roslin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

A large party of us stayed at Rosslyn Castle last week, the hotel is 5 minutes walk away. Just wanted to say thanks to Stuart at the bar for looking after us all. Great cola bottles and a friendly welcome... Enjoy Gran Canaria.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Arrived fairly late in the evening after booking the double room, but found we were upgraded to the four poster room, number 3. Very nice. We had our evening meal by the fireside in the bar, 1st class for a cosy few drinks and bite to eat. In the morning we had strawberry's and blueberry's before ordering the full breakfast for me and eggs, bacon and toast for Mrs, again by the fire in the bar. Very good service from a family run hotel. Nice friendly chat from all the we met. Thoroughly recommend if you are at a leisurely pace.

Room Tip: Room 3 has a four poster, and en-suite (but shower over bath).. very warm room..
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Decided as in previous years to go down to our local hotel for a pre xmas bar supper.
Visited on the evening of the 23rd December
To give you the image of the previous year Dec 2012.....even before entering the hotel there were lovely lights all over the trees outside giving a lovely xmas feel then on entering the log fire was a blaze, interactive bar staff, atmospheric with the xmas tree all of a sparkle rounded of with a lovely meal
This year Dec 2013... no lights on the outside trees very dreary then on entering, no fire on though xmas tree in place. no bar staff on view but people waiting to be served. People said the barman would be back in a minute. We stood a futher 2 minutes then rang the bell, eventually one single barman brought in a tables food and then proceeded to assist the people at the bar, looked new no real friendly interaction though he did his job!
Sat down had a meal which I must admit was lovely as always, but no xmas atmosphere the conservatory was in darkness and this was only about 7pm. Lets hope this was just a one of and the owners up there game for next year as we left disappointed and certainly didn't leave with the warm xmas memories of the previous year.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola M
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We arrived on the 30th December for 4 nights, but fortunately found out while chatting to a local in the bar that the hotel does not open for food or drink after 6pm on the 1st. This information had not been volunteered when we booked or arrived. When we asked the manager, he confirmed that was correct but could not understand what the problem was, as we had only booked bed and breakfast. New Years Day in Scotland, were we supposed to sit in our room, with nothing to eat or drink.
This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, we have stayed in lots of 3 star hotels and one or two 2 with 2 stars that have had nicer rooms than the one we were in, and where the food was just as good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Lovely food, great service, great selection and we had a most enjoyable Christmas lunch - staff were friendly and it was a lovely relaxed atmospheres would thoroughly recommend
Thank you for making it a great experience

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I travel around with business and stay in many types of hotel accommodation. I have now stayed at The Original Rosslyn several times. I mainly deal with Stuart or Richard both managers at the hotel and on occasion Grahame the proprietor. I find the hotel charming and personal and it is always nice when a place if family ran as there is more care an attention put into their customer service.

The initial attraction was location as my business commitments were close by but I have found the familiarity and customer service my main reason for repeat business. I have always found my rooms clean and well presented. But I would advise that this is a Traditional inn and if you are looking for a slick modern city hotel this would not be your first choice. However if you want authenticity, customer service and an experience then this by far would be the place to stay.

The restaurant is a good level of pub food. I am a particular fan of their steak pie and the fish and chips. A specials board is also offered which keeps your choices varied. I've also tried the apprentice pillar burger and be warned this has not to be attempted lightly make sure you are hungry!

Breakfast is above basic B&B standard, fresh fruit, yoghurt and cereals are offered along with a cooked option menu including the Balmoral option with smoked salmon and scrambled egg. This is cooked fresh to order on occasion I have placed a pre order the night before as I once had early start and did not have time for a full Scotland the brave as this takes time to get through it!

Room Tip: As I am a regular traveller the hotel usually manage to give me a double room for the cost of a sing...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This is a perfect location just outside of Edinburgh and is right next door (practically) to Rosslyn Chapel. I stayed here whilst on business and it was just what I needed. I got an offer on t'internet and got a four poster room which was really comfy, my head hit the pillow and that was it for the night, out like a light. At the end of the day, it is a pub with rooms so it wasn't the type of hotel I normally stay in but that wasn't a problem as the staff were all fantastic and it was quiet enough that you couldn't hear any noise from downstairs. The food was very nice and the breakfast was awesome, but, like most Scottish hotels - NO BEANS with brekkie! The haggis makes up for it though.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roslin
Chapel Cross Guesthouse
Dalhousie Castle
Dalhousie Castle
#1 of 1 in Bonnyrigg
Prestonfield
Prestonfield
#4 of 151 in Edinburgh
Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel

Been to The Original Rosslyn Inn? Share your experiences!