“Disaster, dreadful, dump!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Roslin
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Disaster, dreadful, dump!”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Made a booking back in January for an overnight stay in May, using the Groupon deal for afternoon tea, dinner, bed and breakfast. When I discovered that the Scottish Cup Final was being held on the same day I contacted the hotel to reserve a table for dinner at 19.30 for myself and for 2 non residents. This was confirmed as being ok. When we arrived at the hotel to check in at 17.45 we were told we could have dinner at 18.30 or 20.30 as they were very busy. I expalined I had reserved a table and again was told that would be fine. We went to our room, which was dismal. No wardrobe, simply a rod across the wall with a curtain across it. A mish mash of furniture, wobbly headboard, sunken bed, all absolutely dreadful. We had a wash, got changed and made our way to the hotel bar, which drastically needs a face lift. We tried to order drinks, one of which was a Baileys and the hotel had none. We therefore went across the road to the original hotel for a drink. We returned to our hotel at 19.20 for our dinner reservation at 19.30 and we were told they were very busy and could we take a seat in the bar until our table was ready. There was a party of 13 people in celebrating a 65th birthday and the hotel appeared to be struggling to cope with the numbers. We waited until 20.30 to be taken through to our dinner table. The food was reasonably okay although one of our dishes (the fish) had to be returned to the kitchen as the batter was raw. During the course of our meal we noticed that many other couples were waiting an extremely long period of time for their meals to be delivered and/or dishes cleared. Once couple had selected a bottle of wine in the bar, when we had been waiting at 20.15 and at 20.50 they were still waiting on their meals. One thing I would say is that the staff waiitng on the tables, bar etc were all very pleasant despite having to deal with quite a few irate customers. My impression was that the hotel had been let down by staffing calling off due to the football and the staff working were not their regular staff. However, the manager never made an appearance and left his/her staff to deal with the consequences. Poor management in my experience. Prior to the end of our meal the waitress asked if we were staying for breakfast and we confirmed that our "deal" included breakfast. She then told us that Groupon had made a mistake and that breakfast was not included and it cost £8.50 pp. I complained that we had not been told about this and when is there ever deals for dinner and bed??? We were then told that the manager would deal with this through Groupon and we could have breakfast included. After our meal we went across the road again to the Original for drinks and returned to our hotel to sleep.
I would seriously advise anyone wishing to stay in this hotel to visit firsta nd see excatly what you are getting for your money as I have stayed in better youth hostels than this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Footiewidow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Scotland
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Stayed at end of March 2012 on a Groupon overnight stay with meal, which even though the hotel had an issue with Groupon, they still honoured the price, but had to pay them direct. Refund from Groupon not a problem. Arrived just as afternoon tea was about to finish but were shown to a table in the bar to order before getting our things from the car. Husband took things up to room and came down laughing to say there was only a bath in the room, no shower! We don't do baths, as I personally don't want to sit in water getting colder, but that's just our preference. Asked Leon, very nice young chap, if they had any rooms with a shower and they did have 1 left. Remember it is a very small hotel with fewer than 10 rooms, so was relieved. Not a problem to move. Huge plate of sandwiches arrived with salad and chips!! But we ate the lot, yummy. Decided as it had turned out to be a lovely day to change our plans and go to Rosslyn Chapel on the Friday and Ikea etc on Saturday. What a great afternoon, and things like that are not my cup of tea, but very interesting and only across the road and a short walk from the hotel. Meal at night was lovely, we were in the small, but nicely decorated dining room and as a lot of Tripadvisor comments were about the stone steak, we felt we had to order them. No the steak wasn't seasoned, but when you buy from a butcher does he season it for you? no thought not! But salt and pepper on the table, mine was cooked to perfection. Paid for breakfast in the morning and it was equally delicious
Menu choice on both the lunch and evening menu had plenty for vegetarians, not that we are but it's always something to note down.
Door to door to get to Ikea was less than 5 minutes, so would definitely go for lunch the next time we are at Ikea.
Overall, nice staff, yes hotel is dated but our room was nice and interior matched the exterior so wouldn't complain about it and the food was exceptional. Lovely.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mandapanz
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed the night with our dog on a Groupon deal, £79 for afternoon tea, 2 coarse dinner and overnight stay. Fantastic warm welcome from staff, room 5 nice and clean.
Had our sandwiches and coffee, wife recommends the chicken and chilli, chicken was cooked so nice and hot.
Had an afternoon walk round Rosslyn Chapel and glen with our dog plenty of areas around for a dog.
Dinner was FABULOUS wife had mushroom and haggis I went for the apple and black pudding, saw others having the steak but we're not big steak eaters so we both plumped for the 8oz burger with home cooked chips, what a plateful!
Retired to room with a bottle of wine!
Please take it for what it is, it's an old building with what we call character with its creeky floorboards, value for money with a very friendly staff and an exceptional chef. We would definitely return (our dog enjoyed himself too)

• Stayed May 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

went on sat the 5th of may armed with groupon deal ( eating only ) only got round to checking reviews the night before so a little nervous of what to expect was greeted by a lovely lady called Allison who made us feel very relaxed got our drinks order sorted quickly wife got prawn cocktail and loved it my mushroom with haggis and whisky sauce was also nice.......the main courses were steaks that come out on a stone and the steak cooks away on them unfor not for me as prefer mine to be cremated and the stone it was on was never going to get it there my wifes steak was a rib eye other than my sirlion and was a bit thinner so seemed to cook a little better by the time i got round to trying the steak it was quite tuff so did not eat it the onion rings and hand made chips were both really nice and i would have rated as very good if i could have had my steak presented to me in the normal manner.......................the interior is very drab and dated the toilets take you back 40 years there was no music in the room we were in really needs a spruce up but in general the food was ok and the service good....always best to try and see for yourself

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steven l
Saddleworth. UK
Reviewed 1 May 2012

On arrival the building looks impressive but thats where it ends, step inside to a very dated, grotty hole! Reception - after ringing bell several times, eventually had to find a member of bar staff to get our room key. Room - well if I hadnt already paid upfront and travelled for 5 hrs I would have turned and run away...Towels were drapped over the toilet seat!! Bed was collapsed to the floor at the top end and had to be propped up with a wooden block, dog water bowl on floor (at least remove it as I hadnt paid extra to bring a pet). Rooms are cheap and nasty. Such a shame for a lovely building it could be so nice inside. Our Groupon offer was afternoon tea, evening meal with wine and room for the night. We arrived 30 mins after afternoon tea had finished - I explained our very long journey and could they at least make us a sandwich - No came the answer "the chef has finished" only to see bar meals still coming out of the kitchen! We left and went across the road to the Original Rosslyn Hotel - fab food, lovely staff, sadly all their rooms were gone or I would have moved.
Evening meal I have to admit was fine and served in a hidden dining room away from the bar area.
Terrible nights sleep in a bed I was worried would collapse again and due to the wooden blocks made you roll to one side.
No breakfast in package and it was £8.50 each if you wanted it - Sorry Asda and Sainsburys 5 mins away - We opted for Asda and had full Scottish Breakfast with Tea/Coffee for £3.50! Thanks Asda.

Until this place has a full makeover I would avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Book the Original Rosslyn Hotel across the road!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cinders18

Travellers are raving about these Roslin hotels

Cockburnspath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We had a Groupon voucher for afternoon tea and an overnight stay with a two course dinner and a glass of wine each. First impressions were good with very attentive staff and a nice welcome. We realised that the afternoon tea (served between 12pm and 2pm) was just a plate of sandwiches with salad. Not our idea of afternoon tea. This should have been described on the voucher as a light snack. Room 6 was very comfortable. We didn't mind just having a shower. The evening meal was fantastic. The black pudding and apple tower was excellent as a starter and the eton mess was delicious! All in all a pleasant experience if not for the disappointment of the "afternoon tea".

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gabrielle H
edinburgh
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Realising my Groupon steak meal was about to run out of date, we booked in for the last Sunday before its expiry date. As my husband was driving, he thought the bottle of wine between 2 would be sort of unfairly dished out (to his detriment) so we asked if we could take the bottle of wine with us but buy drinks instead. No problem. He had the prawn cocktail and I the portobello mushroom with haggis as starters (to be paid for) and they were delicious and then the steaks which were presented on the lava stone and to cook yourselves to your liking. Although when first presented I thought it looked a wonderful concept I thought I would have to devour my steak before it cooked itself to death but no, the stone keeps it cooked to that poinjt and by cutting it into slices and putting the uncooked sides onto the stone you can eat as you go. Although I have to say we could have done with bigger steaks we were happy with the meal as it was both delicious and an interesting concept of a way to eat. (I have since been online to purchase this cooking set but they are £60 each so I think not.) We are considering returning to try the 3-course Sunday dinner for £10 but have noted the reviews on this hotel are not as praiseworthy as one would have liked to see so it sort of stops you in your tracks. The member of staff on duty that night was attentive and overall thoroughly enjoyed our Sunday experience. Give it a try.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roslin
Dalhousie Castle
#3 of 3 in Dalkeith
Kildonan Lodge Hotel
Kildonan Lodge Hotel
#13 of 147 in Edinburgh

Been to Chapel Cross Guest House? Share your experiences!