Chapel Cross Guesthouse
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Dalhousie Castle(Bonnyrigg)
US$266
US$256
  • Restaurant
US$93
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Edinburgh Dreghorn(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$89
Travelodge
US$174
US$124
Travelocity
Travelodge Edinburgh Cameron Toll(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$82
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
US$123
US$69
US$231
US$187
The Lane Boutique Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$146
  • Bar/Lounge
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewstea roomguest housesandwichesnice pubtea makingchapeledinburghcharactersofa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Arrived to drop off a work colleague who was booked in for the night. Hotel in darkness, no answer to door or phone. Eventually gave up and got a room across the road at the other hotel. Apparently this happens a lot, very embarrasing experience and will not be using this hotel again.
Terrible experience, but reading other comments on here it seems I am not alone. AVOID at all costs.

Room Tip: don;t do it
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank JCH1970
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel 20 years ago and when we went back not much had changed. We stayed 4 nights and on the first night an alarm went off after midnight, closely followed by the fire brigade, no explaination was offerred until the morning. On our last morning, no breakfast, this time we were told it was a gas leak and the chef had not ordered any food. We were given our breakfast money back. The food we did get, was good and the staff were friendly and pleasant. It is a shame because properly run this hotel could raise its profile, with a make over and better organastion. They really do need to get their act together.

Room Tip: would not recommend
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melanie P
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I find it hard to understand how this hotel is allowed to trade! The staff are unpleasant, decor looks like it did 50 years ago, rooms are very basic, no shower in our room, the front door is difficult to work as the lock is dodgy and we took over half an hour of standing in the cold to eventually manoeuvre the key correctly for the door to open! No night porter to help. Breakfast was served and cooked by the same person who was run off her feet although we have to say she was very pleasant but seemed to be running the hotel alone. Bar staff in the evening was very intermittent and the evening meal although lovely food was served without a smile and we felt more of an inconvenience than guests. This hotel is way overpriced and I will certainly be telling my friends to steer clear!

Room Tip: Tip, don't stay here at all
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Made B
Reviewed 7 October 2012

My husband and I took another couple here last year as part of a birthday celebration. We have all raved on and on about how wonderful our meal was and have been hoping that Groupon would have another such offer. We had one of those cook your own steak at the table meals, with all the other extras served between the four of us. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff even though the dining area was particularly busy when we were there. If I remember correctly the only extras were a particular steak sauce that the Birthday Boy fancied and drinks and the total cost was around £11 + a generous tip on top of the voucher,. Come on let's have another treat with a money saving voucher. Another year older soon!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I was staying at this hotel in October 2011 for 4 nights for a business trip in the area. I must say, this was my worst experience of a hotel stay ever...the arrival day was still alright, luckily I arrived in the afternoon when there was still someone around. but then it started...for breakfast you need to order your hot meal (full English/Scottish breakfast) and even though I seemed to be one of the only 2 or 3 guests staying in the hotel at the time and there was nobody around in the restaurant when I got up, they still managed to bring my toast out cold and stale.

I think the first night was still the most restful one...the next night, I was woken up around 3am by another hotel guest who was trying to get into his room. you need to keep in mind that the hotel locks the front door of the hotel for the night (and you don't have fancy electronic card keys to get in). there is a bell to ring the reception, but there is nobody at the reception during the night (even though there is a sign out front that says someone will let you in). so the other hotel guest was ringing the front door bell, a lot...and you can hear the reception bell through the whole hotel it seems, I sure did. frustrated, he started hammering the front door so strongly that the burglar alarm went off...you might have thought that the alarm may have brought some hotel employee running, but there was nobody to be seen. eventually, the alarm stopped, and the drunk hotel guest was picked up an hour later or so by some friend by car (he did not get into his room that night)...and since I didn't have a key for the front door either, there wasn't much I could do for him either.

the next night, around 4am, the fire alarm in my room went off. made me jump out of my skin, and after the sleepless night before I was rather confused. by the time I found some warm clothes to get outside, the alarm stopped. did anybody come by to check on why there was a fire alarm in the middle of the night of their hotel? no. needless to say, I didn't sleep the rest of the night anymore. when I mentioned the fire alarm to the receptionist the next morning, they just looked confused, no surprise there.

the 3rd night, I went out to visit a friend living a few hours drive away; I got back to the hotel around 10pm, only to find the front door locked up for the night. remembering the hotel guest from 2 nights ago, I got very concerned, as I didn't have any local friends to crash with. being in the other man's shoes, I quickly realized why he was so frustrated. at 10pm you could still expect someone to be sitting at the reception at least. ringing the door bell didn't help; looking through the letter hole I saw the reception was deserted. there was a phone number mentioned at the door and at the hotel front, so I rang that number, only to be connected to a voicemail. left a message pleading to be left in, nobody ever called back, not even the next day. I went to the hotel next door (which actually had a guy sitting at their reception!), hoping that they might know the owners of my hotel and they might be able to tell me where I could find them so I could ring their door bell. unfortunately, they couldn't help me. so I went running around the outside of the hotel trying to find an unlocked door to get in; no luck. then I went searching for some sort of attachment house where I was hoping to find some employees. I found some, and rang the door bell, seemed like I had woken someone up as well. at that moment the guy from the other hotel came running around the corner and told me that some other guests just got back to my hotel and they had a key for the front door...HURRAY!!

when I was finally lying in my bed I couldn't manage to fall asleep, I kept thinking that something was going to happen again, I just kept watching the fire alarm at the ceiling.

in summary, there doesn't appear to be any organization at this hotel, and nobody seems to care much for their guests.

this is the most stressfull, restless stay I ever had at any hotel ever...I would not recommend the place to anyone...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business