“Zero stars - avoid like the plague” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chapel Cross Guest House

Chapel Cross Guest House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Roslin
“Zero stars - avoid like the plague”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

I'm so sad to have to write this review because I have had some very pleasant stays here, some great food and shared some good company, but they were 16 and 14 years ago.

I have just had the most horrendous overnight stay I have ever had, anywhere, and, although I am a fairly seasoned traveller, this is the most scared I have ever felt.

I arrived to find the place deserted. Worryingly, nothing looked like it had been upgraded or refurbished in the last 20+ years. When I eventually found someone to speak to they couldn't help and went off in search of someone who could. He was no better really but did eventually give me the key to a room, after spending 10 minutes "checking it". The room was straight out of the 1950's, but with no retro charm, right down to the "shower" that was one of those awful rubber hose things that fits over the bath taps. I wouldn't say it was dirty, in fact in many ways it was reasonably clean, but there were pubes on the washbasin and everything was very tired.

I'd have been happier with 7:30, but breakfast was arranged for 8 am, the earliest they could manage apparently, as I needed to be away for an important business meeting.

There were strange goings on in the room below me throughout the late evening, and loud rock music playing somewhere not too far away, which was eventually turned off. At about midnight I was disturbed by someone trying to enter the room, but they went away again. At 1:20 am I was woken again by a huge row going on between two members of staff, with lots of shouting and swearing at the tops of their voices right outside my window. This went on for so long and sounded so violent I almost called the police, but eventually the guy, who I think was the person who gave me the room, left through the car park and the woman he was fighting with went back inside.

At 3 am I was woken again, this time by someone rattling a bunch of keys outside the room - eventually they must have found the right key, opened the door and started to enter - I put the light on and shouted that the room was occupied and, to my great relief, whoever it was turned and left. Needless to say I blockaded the door and found it very hard to get back to sleep.

When I presented myself for breakfast at 8 am the whole hotel was in complete darkness, locked up and deserted. I searched around but there was nobody about, no sign of breakfast being prepared, just like the Marie Celeste! Spooky.

In the end I just left my key and the cash for the room, less a tenner for the breakfast I didn't have, on the front desk and rushed off to my meeting with just some dried fruit and some water for sustenance.

I really think this hotel needs to be shut down. It's such a lovely location, especially for visiting Rosslyn Chapel, and a few years back it was buzzing, but NOW the place is seriously badly run and very creepy.

Do yourself a favour - stay AWAY from this hotel at all costs!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, across the road at the Original Rosslyn Hotel looks very homely.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank andyl232

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Inverness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

My boyfriend and I made the mistake of choosing this hotel instead of the one across the road for lunch after visiting Rosslyn Chapel.

We were seated at a dirty table (even though the hotel was deserted) I thought that maybe they had been busy for lunch so didn't think too much of it and just moved to a clean one when the waitress made no move to clean it.

We were then given drinks in filthy, and i do mean FILTHY glasses. I work in hospitality myself so know the difference between water stained glasses and dirty ones (as most people should).

At this point we were seriously considering walking out but I persuaded my boyfriend not to because I felt bad for the waitress as we had already ordered our food.

When our food finally arrived, mine was stone cold and my partners (who had ordered soup and nachos) was hideous! I didn't realize anyone could muck up soup, but this had to be tasted before you could believe it. The nachos were also gross, they were obviously made with the cheapest ingredients possible and you could really tell.

We sat there in shock for a little while until I decided that I would have to complain (something I never do, I would much rather grin and bear it). I finally found the waitress and very gently explained what was wrong.
She wasn't best pleased (as if it was our fault??) and then we paid for our replacement drinks and got the hell outta there!

We ended up across the road at the other hotel, which as soon as you entered the building the smell of food and sound of laughter hit you. I'm just so sorry we didn't go there first.

I have now also been left with a lasting addiction to tripadvisor, which I honestly never used before but wouldn't be without now.

Such a waste for something that could be a little goldmine.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank astrasam

Travellers are raving about these Roslin hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

Arrived to drop off a work colleague who was booked in for the night. Hotel in darkness, no answer to door or phone. Eventually gave up and got a room across the road at the other hotel. Apparently this happens a lot, very embarrasing experience and will not be using this hotel again.
Terrible experience, but reading other comments on here it seems I am not alone. AVOID at all costs.

Room Tip: don;t do it
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JCH1970
Hockley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel 20 years ago and when we went back not much had changed. We stayed 4 nights and on the first night an alarm went off after midnight, closely followed by the fire brigade, no explaination was offerred until the morning. On our last morning, no breakfast, this time we were told it was a gas leak and the chef had not ordered any food. We were given our breakfast money back. The food we did get, was good and the staff were friendly and pleasant. It is a shame because properly run this hotel could raise its profile, with a make over and better organastion. They really do need to get their act together.

Room Tip: would not recommend
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melanie P
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

I find it hard to understand how this hotel is allowed to trade! The staff are unpleasant, decor looks like it did 50 years ago, rooms are very basic, no shower in our room, the front door is difficult to work as the lock is dodgy and we took over half an hour of standing in the cold to eventually manoeuvre the key correctly for the door to open! No night porter to help. Breakfast was served and cooked by the same person who was run off her feet although we have to say she was very pleasant but seemed to be running the hotel alone. Bar staff in the evening was very intermittent and the evening meal although lovely food was served without a smile and we felt more of an inconvenience than guests. This hotel is way overpriced and I will certainly be telling my friends to steer clear!

Room Tip: Tip, don't stay here at all
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Made B
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

My husband and I took another couple here last year as part of a birthday celebration. We have all raved on and on about how wonderful our meal was and have been hoping that Groupon would have another such offer. We had one of those cook your own steak at the table meals, with all the other extras served between the four of us. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff even though the dining area was particularly busy when we were there. If I remember correctly the only extras were a particular steak sauce that the Birthday Boy fancied and drinks and the total cost was around £11 + a generous tip on top of the voucher,. Come on let's have another treat with a money saving voucher. Another year older soon!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Landshut, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I was staying at this hotel in October 2011 for 4 nights for a business trip in the area. I must say, this was my worst experience of a hotel stay ever...the arrival day was still alright, luckily I arrived in the afternoon when there was still someone around. but then it started...for breakfast you need to order your hot meal (full English/Scottish breakfast) and even though I seemed to be one of the only 2 or 3 guests staying in the hotel at the time and there was nobody around in the restaurant when I got up, they still managed to bring my toast out cold and stale.

I think the first night was still the most restful one...the next night, I was woken up around 3am by another hotel guest who was trying to get into his room. you need to keep in mind that the hotel locks the front door of the hotel for the night (and you don't have fancy electronic card keys to get in). there is a bell to ring the reception, but there is nobody at the reception during the night (even though there is a sign out front that says someone will let you in). so the other hotel guest was ringing the front door bell, a lot...and you can hear the reception bell through the whole hotel it seems, I sure did. frustrated, he started hammering the front door so strongly that the burglar alarm went off...you might have thought that the alarm may have brought some hotel employee running, but there was nobody to be seen. eventually, the alarm stopped, and the drunk hotel guest was picked up an hour later or so by some friend by car (he did not get into his room that night)...and since I didn't have a key for the front door either, there wasn't much I could do for him either.

the next night, around 4am, the fire alarm in my room went off. made me jump out of my skin, and after the sleepless night before I was rather confused. by the time I found some warm clothes to get outside, the alarm stopped. did anybody come by to check on why there was a fire alarm in the middle of the night of their hotel? no. needless to say, I didn't sleep the rest of the night anymore. when I mentioned the fire alarm to the receptionist the next morning, they just looked confused, no surprise there.

the 3rd night, I went out to visit a friend living a few hours drive away; I got back to the hotel around 10pm, only to find the front door locked up for the night. remembering the hotel guest from 2 nights ago, I got very concerned, as I didn't have any local friends to crash with. being in the other man's shoes, I quickly realized why he was so frustrated. at 10pm you could still expect someone to be sitting at the reception at least. ringing the door bell didn't help; looking through the letter hole I saw the reception was deserted. there was a phone number mentioned at the door and at the hotel front, so I rang that number, only to be connected to a voicemail. left a message pleading to be left in, nobody ever called back, not even the next day. I went to the hotel next door (which actually had a guy sitting at their reception!), hoping that they might know the owners of my hotel and they might be able to tell me where I could find them so I could ring their door bell. unfortunately, they couldn't help me. so I went running around the outside of the hotel trying to find an unlocked door to get in; no luck. then I went searching for some sort of attachment house where I was hoping to find some employees. I found some, and rang the door bell, seemed like I had woken someone up as well. at that moment the guy from the other hotel came running around the corner and told me that some other guests just got back to my hotel and they had a key for the front door...HURRAY!!

when I was finally lying in my bed I couldn't manage to fall asleep, I kept thinking that something was going to happen again, I just kept watching the fire alarm at the ceiling.

in summary, there doesn't appear to be any organization at this hotel, and nobody seems to care much for their guests.

this is the most stressfull, restless stay I ever had at any hotel ever...I would not recommend the place to anyone...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank KatharinaD85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roslin
Dalhousie Castle
The County Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dalkeith
BEST WESTERN Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel
Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel

Been to Chapel Cross Guest House? Share your experiences!