“fantastic food”

and 1 more site!
Crown & Anchor Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Findhorn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Have eaten many a smashing meal here. The fish and chips are one of the best I've ever had !
The fish is huge and lovely batter .great choice on the menu to.
My husband and I were there around a month ago .so if your in the the beautiful village of
Findhorn don't hesitate .we keep returning year after year .same great food each time.and good
Prices to can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Didn't stay so can't comment.
2  Thank moirawatt1

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I spent two nights here, in need of some quiet time - and I found it. A most beautiful estuary location of natural beauty, a cared-for village where the influence of the nearby Findhorn Foundation has added a special something, a homely hotel with excellent food and lovely welcoming staff.

I wished I'd been able to stay longer, and I'll certainly return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank belledamesansregrets
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I'm there about 20 times a year and it is - without doubt - the best value seafood restaurant in Moray (if not the whole north east). However, it is small, and busy, and you may well get asked to move around or order early. But that's the price you pay for a small inn trying to cater fresh food to a variable crowd.

The staff are beyond great and it is always a fun evening.

The rooms are never pretending to be Gleneagles or the Balmoral but they are far better than you might expect from a country inn at this price. I'll be back .... and so should you ....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tony B
Reviewed 6 May 2014

For the price of a B&B you get one of the best locations in Findhorn. Great food (try the Balmoral Chicken), and excellent beer - usually Landlord or Flying Scotsman. Fin and Mandy certainly know how to keep their ales.

I have a friend who stays here every week, and he does so by choice. So do I.

Yes the rooms are varied - in keeping with the fact that this is a 17Century Inn. If you want a modern faceless place, there are a number of national chains to choose from in nearby Elgin.

I got the best welcome I've ever had when I stayed last week - and I felt that Dee and her colleagues were pleased to see me.

All in all, a bit of true Scottish hospitality, in an amazing location. Perhaps a bit 'Local Hero', but the C&A does it for me.

Room Tip: try room no 6
2  Thank peter N
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I first visited here some twenty years ago so nostalgia was part of my motivation. And what a let down
The decor was extremely shabby - paintwork was chipped and in the case of the hallway and stairs , absolutely gloomy.
Yes, the room was small, but the Hotel is very old. It was the fact that it was so ill equipped. The extent of the toiletries was a tube of shampoo and a small block of soap. Tea and coffee facilities amounted to just that. The bedding might once have been white, but that's anyone's guess.
The TV worked only sporadically, and was not improved by a visit from the manager, who other reviewers have described as grumpy. Too right!
Throughout the carpets were totally threadbare, dirty and in need of replacement.
AND the price......at £67.50 for a single room, it was a complete rip-off.
On a real positive note though, the staff were young, welcoming and extremely helpful. The one saving grace. Oh yes, the breakfast was nice too!

Room Tip: Your guess is as good as mine
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Bammiegt
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Initially confronted with a dark and dinghy bar, staff extremely unwelcoming, and the atmosphere was awful. We were abruptly told all seating was reserved yet no tables were taken the whole time we were there. Food was absolutely diabolical, took forever to come and was extremely expensive. Meat in the steak pie was purely fat and fish was more empty batter than fish. Worst restaurant I have ever eaten in. Would advise manager/owner to take their staff to a private space to discuss that they have run out of stock and not shout in front of customers when they are trying to have a peaceful meal!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We went to see the eco houses and decided to have lunch when we were there and opted for the Crown & Anchor.
On entering no one there but soon someone appeared and made me feel I was doing him a favour for coming in..
However we had no inclination to go elsewhere and we sat in the 'sun lounge' overlooking the harbour but the windows were steamed up between the double glazing.
I opted for the cullen skink - now if you do not know about this it is a creamy soup cooked with smoked haddock, potato and sometimes with leek and chives but in any case it is full of flavour and delicious.
This one arrived and the taste was bland - the ' creamy' soup was tasteless and the smoked haddock had been cooked elsewhere as had the potatoes and added to the bland 'stock' - not the infused wonderful flavour you get when infusing and cooking it all together.
My wife had the mussels which were OK but a bit on the small side.
All the staff appeared on the defensive and did not want to engage in any conversation - even on the rain!
A cold and unwelcoming establishment.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malcolm C

Been to Crown & Anchor Inn? Share your experiences!