“Dog Friendly!”

Gordon Arms Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 11 Restaurants in Fochabers
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Staying in a local 'dog-friendly' cottage where the owner did not allow anyone to leave their dog while they ate out, we were delighted to find this hotel where we could select from the full menu while eating in the bar where dogs were allowed. It was a very nice bar with a mix of friendly locals and visiting fishermen and their wives (and dogs.) Unfortunately however, the food let them down a little. The steak pie was quite tasteless and the vegetables dry. The restaurant was very busy, so maybe I just picked the wrong choice of food! Shame, when they were so helpful otherwise!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We were told this was one of the best places to eat in Fochabers. If so the concept of gastro-pubs has not taken hold in Fochabers. Good honest cooking 60s style perhaps best describes it. There is shabby chic and then there is plain shabby. Cheerful and friendly service when you get it but patience is certainly a virtue when trying to find someone to take a food order. The public bar sounded as if it was the heart and soul of the building.

1  Thank LeNoudeGaia
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

It would be nice to see a massive improvements in the food. It's currently brand, tasteless and very basic. The mince and tatties tastes like it's out of a tin. The curry is tasteless. The only decent thing is the prawn cocktail and possibly the salad. The wine is warm and a poor selection of beers. The staff are very friendly and the service is good. The interior needs updating. Not a good entrance. Which one is the reception desk?

1  Thank katie w
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Nice environment but fish and chips are very, very greasy (made us feel ill). A member of our party is in a wheel chair but there were no toilet facilities for her.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have no idea how anyone can rate this place 4 or 5.

First of all, I was shown to a table, after mentioning I had no reservation. Then, someone else asked me if I had a reservation. Did they think I just sat down at a table of my own accord?

Next, I asked what beers were on tap. The answer was "John Smiths". So I asked, "Is that it?", after which I got the rest of the (short) list. Was it that hard a question?

I had the cullen skink to start. It was actually pretty tasty, which is the only reason I have not given this place 1/5. I'm pretty sure it had come out of the microwave oven, given the skin on top, but I liked it.

Main course was sole topped with prawns and butter sauce. It was terrible. I have no idea if the fish was actually sole. It was overcooked and dry, presumably where it had been thawed for too long in the microwave oven. The prawns tasted like they were supermarket economy frozen prawns, probably also thawed in the same way.

I did not stay for desert. Unfortunately this was the only restaurant serving evening meals. I should have gone to the pizza takeaway round the corner.

This place is a prime example of why the UK has such a poor culinary reputation.

1  Thank akhill