“Still disappointed”

Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Fochabers
Price range: £5 - £25
Cuisines: Scottish, Contemporary
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: If you’re looking for a magical day out in North-East Scotland, visit our Walled Garden at Gordon Castle which is being lovingly restored to its former glory. Over two hundred years old, it is one of Britain’s largest and oldest working kitchen gardens. Complete with rare and heritage plants, the garden walls are lined with 259 espaliered trees giving the keen gardener plenty to admire. At an impressive eight acres, it has been re-designed by award-winning designer Arne Maynard to allow a modern twist on a traditional design. In addition, the recently restored Victorian Mackenzie & Moncur glasshouse displays an impressive amount of delicious tomatoes in the summer months. Watch our dedicated team of gardeners at work as this magical garden evolves with the seasons and bears fruit for our café visitors ensuring quality home-grown food served all day.
Reviewed 21 September 2019

We visited the Cafe at the Walled Garden today after spending a wonderful time wandering in the fabulous Walled Garden. What an amazing difference since we were there 5 years ago. Unfortunately we were disappointed again at the service in the cafe. It was a beautiful day and we wanted to sit outside, however were unsure if it was table service or self service so went into the cafe to find out. There was a board saying wait to be seated so we stood there and despite a male member of staff passing several time we were neither acknowledge nor assisted. When I finally stopped him and asked what the deal was he said there were no tables inside as they were all reserved. I said we would like to sit outside and was it self serve or table service, he said it was table service inside. I again said I didn't want a table inside and what was the deal outside. He then told me to get a table number and order at the counter. I found his attitude very unwelcoming. At the counter the young female member of staff was excellent and although she was busy acknowledged me and and said she would be with me shortly. It was busy. When she did serve me she apologised for keeping me waiting. I do appreciate there may be a wait at busy times but all it takes is an acknowledgement from staff that you are there! A beautiful setting and it was a beautiful day, unfortunately let down once again by the service.

Date of visit: September 2019
Gordon Castle W... S, General Manager at Gordon Castle Walled Garden Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2019

Hi there. Really sorry to hear about your experience - this is definitely not an example of our high standards. Can you please send an email to me directly on restaurantmanager@gordoncastlescotland.com and I will do my best to investigate this further.

Reviewed 7 September 2019 via mobile

I was in last weekend for lunch with my far away family from America and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. The waitress Jody who served us was very welcoming an polite. The food was great, up to standard. The service was very professional and helpful. THank you Jody

Reviewed 4 September 2019 via mobile

Broccoli and Stilton soup. The worst ever tasted. Stilton flavoured water. We were offered cake as compensation.

Reviewed 31 August 2019 via mobile

Just back from a fabulous lunch, in awful weather!
The road to the cafe could stand a bit of work on the potholes,
But! The service was excellent, and the food was fabulous.
Very tasty Cullen Skink, and likewise the Fish pie special.
Well worth a visit.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed 28 August 2019

My first visit to this cafe, having partially walked around the garden initially (I'd continue the walk after lunch). We'd reserved a table for lunch. Welcomed by friendly staff and shown to our table. The gentleman who took our order was very good and worked his socks off throughout the afternoon.
The cafe's surroundings were splendid, with a pleasant ambience. The toilets being clean/tidy, but with the stiffest taps known to mankind.
Unfortunately my fish and chips were not the best, mainly because the peas tasted like tinned peas, the chips being tasteless and too thick. The fish was nice though.
We had another walk around the walled garden, then back to the cafe for cake and a drink. My strawberry cake seemed a bit hard unfortunately.
If the food were improved somewhat (generally and easy to do), then my review grade would easily be a "very good" (at a minimum).

Date of visit: August 2019

Hi there. Really sorry to hear about your experience - this is definitely not an example of our high standards or locally sourced food. Can you please send an email to me directly on restaurantmanager@gordoncastlescotland.com and I will do my best to rectify any issues.