“Birthday Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Fochabers
Price range: £5 - £25
Cuisines: Scottish, Contemporary
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: If you’re looking for a magical day out in North-East Scotland, visit our Walled Garden at Gordon Castle which is being lovingly restored to its former glory. Over two hundred years old, it is one of Britain’s largest and oldest working kitchen gardens. Complete with rare and heritage plants, the garden walls are lined with 259 espaliered trees giving the keen gardener plenty to admire. At an impressive eight acres, it has been re-designed by award-winning designer Arne Maynard to allow a modern twist on a traditional design. In addition, the recently restored Victorian Mackenzie & Moncur glasshouse displays an impressive amount of delicious tomatoes in the summer months. Watch our dedicated team of gardeners at work as this magical garden evolves with the seasons and bears fruit for our café visitors ensuring quality home-grown food served all day.
Reviewed 10 August 2023 via mobile

We booked afternoon tea for a friends birthday. Unfortunately she doesn’t like mayo, so we mentioned that at booking. When we arrived we were shown straight to our table and we ordered drinks. The afternoon tea arrived & it looked lovely. But because we had said no mayo for my friend, both sets of sandwiches came with no mayo. Although the bread was lovely, we had 2 lots of cheese sandwiches, which was disappointing as there are lots of different sandwiches that can be made without mayo, beef & horseradish, smoked salmon & cream cheese, chicken. The other items were a bite size quiche, sausage roll & pigs in blankets, along with the mini cakes & scones. Please note that if you go for afternoon tea, go early if you want to look around the shop, as we came out at 4pm & sadly the shop was already closed.? So we had to take the veg back into the cafe to be able to pay for it.

Date of visit: August 2023

Reviewed 2 August 2023

5 members of staff behind the bar, absolutely a free for all to who gets processed first, que ignored members of staff in willing to enforce order. You will pay for a premium service and get none in return. Outside seating is a free for all no real way of order to a seat as multiple people might claim and you don't know when you will get serviced. I have been to this venue a lot and they have always struggled with competent staff but not numbers, I believe if they had a member of staff per person they will still be no better. Management should be held accountable.

Gardens are nice but works out to be an expensive short walk around a half used garden.

I'd would still recommend a visit but be prepared to be let down by staff and if they venue could charge for breathing the air with in the confines then they would.

The shop is ridicules pricing.

Date of visit: August 2023
1  Thank Mattchu1987
Reviewed 1 August 2023

The food was nice but unfortunately they were in a real muddle with the service. The staff were pleasant but we had to wait ages to order puddings and coffees despite asking three or four times and then only half the order arrived so I had to chase them again. It got quite awkward in the end. I appreciate that they may have been short staffed but they didn’t seem to have any system for tracking orders and ensuring that they were completed.

Reviewed 25 July 2023 via mobile

Ordered a chicken pesto salad for £15.95. If you expect more than basic lettuce, pale orange salad tomatoes, and cucumber in a salad, you will be disappointed. The chicken was big chunks of cold, dry chicken breast with shop bought pesto on it with a bit of cole slaw. It was an effort to get through it. Really bland and disappointing. Worst salad I have even been served in a restaurant, I'm surprised a chef would think it is acceptable. I wouldn't order it again. Tip for them: potato salad, cous cous, olives, nice cherry tomatoes, decent salad leaves, beetroot, shredded chicken that is chewable would all improve this offering and make it worth the money.

Nobody enjoys eating salad the way you serve it currently.

Reviewed 22 July 2023

Table booked for five adults for lunch today. Restaurant was very quiet when we arrived as it was early. We were given menus and then waited quite a while before our order was taken. After some time a waiter came and asked us to confirm the order. Drinks arrived and there was one missing. The food arrived and it was ok but nothing special. I had quiche and salad. Suffice to say there was enough salad to feed the five of us and one piece of quiche on the top of it. I only managed to eat half of the salad so that was a lot of waste. We then sat for ages waiting for the plates to be cleared - so long in fact that I started stacking them myself. At that point a waiter appeared and removed them. We then waited to see if anyone offered us dessert - no. My sister-in-law got up and found a menu and we ordered 3 ice creams and 2 espresso brownies. The ice cream came in a tiny dish - although I'm told it was nice enough. As for the brownies - I have never come across such a solid brownie. At no point did anyone come and ask if everything was ok with our meal. The staff all looked about 16yrs old. I'm sure they were doing their best but there didn't appear to be an experienced member of staff to keep things flowing. All in all, a disappointing experience.

1  Thank StickyToffeeQueen