“Excellent as always”
Review of The Old Mill Inn

The Old Mill Inn
Ranked #5 of 34 Restaurants in Forres
Cuisines: Bar, British, Scottish, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Excellent as always”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Went there last night for a family celebration....third time in the last few months. Superb again. Delicious food, a really good choice on the menu, and excellent service as we have always had. I am surprised to read some other reviews saying that the owner was grumpy etc. I have always found him to be engaging and helpful and last night was no exception. I would strongly recommend it and have done to many people. Will definitely be going again.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Deveyr

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“very disappointed - been told the place is for sale, I wonder why?”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Accusatory, grumpy, sarcastic, rude words on our arrival to the establishment by the ?owner? Had we booked a table? No, the place was virtually empty the whole time we were there. Another group of people arrived whilst we were just seated and they left when he was curt with them. They were American or Canadian and obviously quicker to react than us Brits. We tend to complain after the event, not whilst it is happening.
Waiting staff very nice and efficient. Explained what was not available.. quite a few things it seemed, but that was not a problem... the ones who opted for a curry were served what appeared to be risotto instead. it was tasteless and thick. It had sort of lumpy cheese on it and was pretty much inedible. it most certainly was not curry. The fish was OK but don't think it was fresh caught, it tasted like the Vietnamese river fish I have eaten elswhere. Not bad, but not good either. We left most of our meals and didn't take a desert or coffee. The looks we were getting from the guy was enough to put anyone off.. we were plainly not welcome.
The building is in desperate need of decorating and brightning up. It is dark, dingy and rather uncomfortable. Nice touch having wee containers of flowers on the tables.. but sadly the tables felt sticky. They were NOT dirty, whatever is being used to clean them is leaving a sticky film.. experienced the same in other pubs, so it must be something they are using to wipe the tables with.. suggest look into it perhaps?
The outside of the place is also in need of refurbishment and there is a water 'thing' out the front that has no guard around it.. child could fall into it, don't know how deep it is. Health and Safety potential issue. Likewise I was told that the ladies toilet.. taps that have to be touched after washing hands i.e. not lever operated ones. Also water very hot, there is a notice to say this, but a child going in alone wouldn't perhaps know? Think the toilets need revamping urgently to be honest.
I feel sad that this place has so much potential.. it could be an amazing out of town pub/restaurant in the summer months with nice tables outside and prices to reflect the quality of food being served. I certainly felt the prices were very high for what was being dished up.
The drinks were expensive, especially non alcoholic ones.. this is usual though, have come to expect it from most out of town places. The beer.. quite a good selection of ales, were very expensive and the half pint I had was very warm .. possibly how it was meant to be served? I am not sure, but I didn't enjoy it and expressed the same when I was paying the bill. The response I got was a bit sarcastic.
Disappointed with the attitude. To be fair, perhaps the owner is tired? I am unsure why he is so bad tempered. Does he not want to do the job any more..? Oh, I was told the place is for sale, I wonder why? Is it an hotel as well? Unsure.
Seriously, it could be a brilliant place to dine for work meetings, or take family and friends for Sunday lunch or afternoon tea.
But , we wont be back.. and considering out bill was over £250 for the number of us eating there, that is a big loss. Think I will stick to Inverness eateries in future.
Very sad to be making such a negative comment. I do try to be positive, but there was absolutely nothing to be positive about unfortunately.
The exit across the A96 is quite daunting.. a very fast road (supposed to be 50 mph) was difficult to cross.
Overall I cannot give a positive rating for The Old Mill. I am totally disappointed and hope that the owner will take on board some of the comments from other writers. I note he has only replied to one of them and that was due to a serious accusation of tummy upset. I agree with his reply and it is well written.
But ignoring other writers is not exactly the way to encourage custom. As a business person, based in the north of Scotland, who regularly eats all over Britain, I just want the 'owner/manager' to look at how he is treating people who visit his establishment.. perhaps a video done anonymously or a secret shopper might make him realise that one sarcastic retort to a customer can lose at least 10 if not more potential customers.
I wish him well with the Sale, just hope it doesn't end up like so many other pub/restaurants.. owned by a chain who pre cook food off site and microwave or warm it up for serving.
I am sorry this has taken some time to review, it was over a month ago I visited, but I have mulled it over and when a colleague stated they had called in with their business partner recently and were not very happy with the place, I felt I should comment. I have tried to be balanced and fair, but it is hard to be positive about somewehre that has had such a negative impact on myself and other business colleagues.
To retiratate.. disappointed.....Very!!!

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank JMcP803
Inverness, United Kingdom
“romantic”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

i went there again today was a really good experience and the service amazing and friendly. the staff was really good and the food was delicious.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank jeanboobs
Watford, United Kingdom
“Tasty but they made a bad mistake”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

The food was pretty good. We had the Scottish Tapas menu on a chalk board. However half of our party was vegetarian but none of the dishes were marked up with a 'V'. When we asked the manager he checked with the kitchen and reported that a specific dish was vegetarian. We ordered it only to find that it had spicey sausage on it. Given that we had already asked the question surely they could have omitted the sausage. The manager came out to apologise when we flagged this up but if the kitchen can't agree whether something is veggie or not it makes me wonder what else they didn't tell us. We've been here before and would definitely go again but they need to sort out their vegetarian options.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank ChrisRoscoe
Oslo, Norway
“Twelve half pints real ale and seven single malts, as a start ...”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

What a cook they must have! Extreamly well prepared. Simple presented, but rich in taste and flavour. Well trained staff, history on and in the walls, good reading for me, roomy and quiet, and - they have a nice garden. Yes, you may take your drink outside, in the sunshine. I did!
I found 160 pounds a fair price for what five adults with heavy appetite and thirst consumed after a long day en the "saddle". Why didn't we linger a day, or so...?

• Visited July 2014