“The Perfect Escape”
Review of Newbold House

Newbold House
“The Perfect Escape”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was an amazing find. If you're looking for a re-boost among beautiful settings and wonderful people with extraordinarily attention to detail and fantastic value for money, then Newbold House is the place! I stayed here on a tailor-made retreat with my husband - both burnt-out Londoners - and we returned to The Smoke relaxed, refreshed and inspired. There are flexible options at the house - we booked with the fabulous Deborah who arranged private yoga classes, complementary therapies and bush craft classes for us (there's much more on offer besides). She couldn't have done more to make our stay such a success - she even bought our dinner to our room when we felt sleepy! The house is part of a charitable trust that is doing wonderful things for preservation and raising awareness of environmental issues. I'd book in fast as they are bound to get busier and busier! Jane J

Room Tip: There are a variety of large, airy rooms - all seemed very nice and ours had a gorgeous view over th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
newboldhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Newbold House, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you so much for this feedback - it is always fantastic to know that we can support burnt-out Londoners... There are far too many of you out there! It was a real pleasure and fun to have you both and hope to have you back late summer x

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I simply can't adequately express how wonderful my stay was at Newbold House. I was there for a one week retreat. I had been hoping to feel slightly rested after an extremely stressful and difficult 8 months, but what I got out of my stay at Newbold House was more than I could ever have imagined. I feel completely rejuvenated and feel almost like a different person! I feel so grateful to Newbold House, and to Deborah in particular, who is fantastic at her job, and went out of her way to give me the kind of retreat that would be best for me. I feel so grateful to her, and to everyone else at Newbold for making my stay so perfect. I am on a very strict diet, but they cooked special meals for me and went out of their way to give me food which I could eat... and it was all absolutely delicious!!! I am so very grateful. I would say that my short stay at Newbold House has been life changing -and I realise that may sound strange to someone who hasn't been to stay there yet- but it's absolutely true. I can't recommend Newbold House highly enough. And I am definitely going to go back! :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
newboldhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Newbold House, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your generous and lovely review! Yours was exactly the kind of experience we want to offer...and we are so happy you had that experience. It was a total delight having you with us - we all want you to come back!
Deborah
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I just can't say enough about my experience with the Newbold House. I traveled there with my daughter for a meditation retreat after a 5 week tour of Europe. Deborah was just amazing with getting the entire retreat planned. She catered to our desires and put together the perfect package for us. She even went out of her way to locate a stable so that we could take a lesson in Horseback Riding! She was easy to work with, and super-responsive! The house is beautiful, serene, and calming, and the people are the same. All of the staff and volunteers made us feel welcome and at home. It truly felt as though we could stay forever.....and we wanted to by the end of our visit! We awoke every morning to meditate and sing with the staff. What a beautiful way to start the day! The food was just unbelievable as well. It was filling, nourishing, and delicious! We tried many different treatments including Shamanic Soul Retrieval, Aura Soma (those were my favorites), Reiki, Therapeutic body massage. And Heather gives the best and most relaxing massages! The house is cozy enough that you never feel alone, but private enough that you can be alone whenever you want. It truly was a perfect experience!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
newboldhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Newbold House, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you so much for a lovely review, Jenni. It was great to have you both join us. Such excitement and enthusiasm was a joy to have the house. You were up for trying everything on offer and that's what makes what we do totally worth it! We really hope to see you again.
Deborah xx
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I was looking for a place for my Mum and I to spend Christmas that gave us a sense of community, and luckily stumbled upon Newbold House. Reading the description it seemed to be everything I was looking for and I was nervous I'd hit on something that sounded too good to be true! I needn't have worried.
It was all so straightforward from the outset. There's no sense of "business", just very professional friendliness which makes you feel instantly comfortable and welcome.
We arrived quite early in the day and the room was all set up and ready for us and from there it just got better. The community members are all very warm and friendly, as are the volunteers. Every meal is fresh, delicious and there's plenty for everyone. Activities were set out but adaptable when needed and the sense of peace and tranqulity is mind-opening in so many ways. Living near and working in London can be quite a harsh place. Newbold House shows you the flip side of that!
The house itself is beautiful, spacious and warm (log fires on the go all day when it's cold). Despite it being mid-winter the gardens and allotment were tended beautifully and were a lovely place to wander around.
I'd recommend Newbold House for anyone requiring a personal recharge or just a cosy and relaxed getaway. Everyone at Newbold House made us, as guests feel like welcome visitors.

Room Tip: From my understanding, all rooms are good.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Having had a stressful time in our lives, we were looking for a break that would allow us time to reflect, laugh, relax and enjoy. Newbold gave us all that.

If you are looking for disco's, lots of noise, lots of hussle and bustle Newbold is not for you.

The house itself is set back off the road off the quiet village of Forres but it isn't isolated either. The house is big, old fashioned, traditional and relaxing. The gardens are quiet, and peaceful. The staff and volunteers are warm, friendly but not intrusive. The food - all homemade and where possible resourced either on the land itself or locally - is tasty, wholesome and so good!

It is great for exploring around the area and there is lots to see and do - it is situated between Innverness and Aberdeen. Local transport is good, parking facilities in the house grounds are good.

The holiday is suitable for families, couples, friends and also solo.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Zanandu
Margaret River
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed at Newbold House while training with Marlene Butler had a wonderful time and lovely food with amazing people. Enjoyed fantastic walks on the beach every morning and watching the sunset in the evening

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Amazingav
newboldhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Newbold House, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for your generous kind review - we hope to host you again soon. Yes, the sunset and the beach still fantastic in November!
- Deborah
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My idea: Scotland, as I love its energy; retreat and pampering: to bring together spiritual and physical wellbeing; relax and definitely: nature. My search took me to Newbold House.

From the moment of my first inquiry to the planning to the stay itself I encountered care, respect and warmth. Deborah W did an amazing job of finding the perfect activities and treatments that suited me and went out of her way to even take me up to Findhorn. Really worthwhile the visit.

The food was tasty, varied and healthy. The rooms calm and cozy. The gardens, the woods around, all gorgeous places to walk in or sit down with a book. Perfect atmosphere for writing and reading and definitely for relaxation.

Everyone from the permanent residents to the volunteers, WWoofers and other guests made my stay rich in sharing and joy.

Miss you guys already and will be back. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
newboldhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Newbold House, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Leslie - thank you for a gorgeous review. It was a pleasure to host you and hang out and eat and chat as well! Also, your work in the garden was appreciated by us all - especially our volunteers who loved your company. Go well and come back to us! xx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forres
Ramnee Hotel
Premier Inn Elgin Hotel
Braeval Hotel
Braeval Hotel
#4 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Newbold House? Share your experiences!