“Outstanding!”
Review of Birding Ecosse

Birding Ecosse
More attraction details
Owner description: Half day and full day bird watching tours throughout the Highlands of Scotland. Transport and tour guide provided for all trips. Cost vary however a guide would be £60 for half day and £100 for a full day tour. We look forward to meeting you!
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

We booked our two days with Dave 3 months before our 5 week trip to the Highlands. Dave was near the end of our trip, and we had been birding constantly before meeting up with him.

Day 1: Dave was 5 minutes early for our pick up, and even arranged a personal errand for us into his schedule. As we drove, and Dave heard about where we had already been, his heart kind of sank, as many of those places were on his itinerary. Nevertheless, he managed to take us to many places we had not seen, and even took us back to places we had been, and found more than we ever did, or could.

The highlight of the two day outing was on day 2, the Red Kite feeding station. What a feast for the eyes, and my camera. It really was special.

After driving around Scotland for almost 4 weeks, Dave managed to explain most of what we had seen and not understood, traditions we would never have known about, bird habits and habitats, and so much more.

Dave has been a birder since the age of 7, and he has forgotten more than I will ever know. What a wonderful guide, conversationalist, and host. The coffee and biscuit breaks were all special, and we had quite a few.

If birding is your quest, do yourself a favor and hire Dave, you will not regret it.

2  Thank michaelcY9549PP
"day trip"
"david"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 26 June 2016

Despite the not so good weather David the guide found lots of interesting wildlife mainly birds including some rarities his GSH kept us happy as did the tea and coffee also the biscuits. If you want something more substantial you have to take it with you. If you don't have your own telescope he has an excellent one I think some times it has an inbuilt tracker! He picks up usually in Grantown but will do other places but there sometimes may be a charge for it

1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 5 May 2016

A highly enjoyable birding excursion. Dave seems to know every back road in Scotland, and where to find the greatest number and variety of birds. After experiencing a train delay, a late snow storm, and the cancellation of his two other clients, I was afraid that my tour might be in jeopardy. Not even close! Dave called the hotel to make sure I arrived safely, collected me on time the next morning, and showed the same amount of enthusiasm as if he were guiding a V.I.P. He is extremely congenial, and communicates his passion for the natural history and human history of Scotland.

1  Thank Samuel P
Reviewed 24 March 2016

Having just arrived back at the Grant Arms Hotel, after my second full day of birding with Dave Slater of Birding Ecosse, I have to write this review while everything is still fresh in my mind. We have travelled everywhere, from the top of Cairngorm to Cromarty on the Black Isle and have seen about 60 different birds, from Golden Eagle to Coal Tit - the latter actually taking seed from my hand! Not forgetting the mountain hare, red squirrel, reindeer, feral goats, brown hare and red deer - even though they're not birds, Dave found them.
He knows where to find the birds and everything there is to know about them. He will adapt the tour to look for that special bird you want to see.
If you're thinking of birding in Scotland, think Birding Ecosse - you won't regret it!

2  Thank Christine P
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 March 2016

I have just returned from another fantastic birding weekend with Dave of Birding Ecosse (my second trip). Dave's knowledge of birds and the local area is second to none and the three days flew past far too quickly as we visited a range of habitats in the Moray area and then further North. The scenery in this area is awe inspiring, and although we had what Dave calls 'liquid sunshine' (rain) on the first two days this did not detract from the experience. Just be prepared for all kinds of weather! Some of the many highlights for me were catching my first Snow Buntings at Cairngorm, being enthralled at the Golden Eagle soaring above the hills (another first) and having a lovely packed lunch at Loch Fleet (with the sun shining this time) whilst watching the huge variety of waders. Dave is an excellent guide, setting things up in the scope for you to see, and sharing his wealth of bird knowledge in a way which is interesting and accessible. Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided frequently and much enjoyed (as is the cheery banter that Dave also supplies!). I thoroughly recommend Birding Ecosse, you won't be disappointed, and I am already thinking about my next trip!

2  Thank Valerie L