“Another great break with Birding Ecosse”
Review of Birding Ecosse

Birding Ecosse
More attraction details
Owner description: Half day and full day bird watching tours throughout the Highlands of Scotland. Transport and tour guide provided for all trips. Cost vary however a guide would be £60 for half day and £100 for a full day tour. We look forward to meeting you!
Reviewed 28 November 2016

I have just finished my second two-day tour with Dave Slater of Birding Ecosse and once again he provided another memorable experience searching for birds in Scotland.

He is extremely knowledgeable and has great expertise in finding and identifying birds and,equally importantly,is great company and does all he can to ensure you have a great time.

Loads of laughs,tea,biscuits,Tunnocks Tea Cakes and even mince pies this time.....oh,and the odd bird along the way! He has so far provided me with 14 new species and hopefully even more on future trips.

I would heartily advise anybody,expert or novice,who is new to the area to book a trip with Birding Ecosse.It will save you a lot of time and effort as well as enjoying the unique experience and company of Dave Slater.

I am already planning my next trips with him and hope we can track down my elusive White-tailed Eagle and maybe one day get to go up Cairn Gorm without wind and low cloud thwarting us......not even Dave can influence the Scottish mountain weather!

1  Thank wolftone328
"day trip"
"david"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 26 November 2016

Dave is my kind of birder! I love standing and staring, drinking in the ambience and all aspects of the scenery, just waiting for things to happen and watching avidly when they do.Dave is not one to rush you on to the next thing, to slot up a given number of sightings. He is happy to adapt to your pace, frequently providing hot coffee and carbo-shots to ward off the cold (minus 7 in Findhorn Valley). He is so at home in his own domain, knowing some beautiful sequestered spots, with an abundance of stunning birds such as bramblings and waxwings that I almost felt I'd wandered into a parallel world; one where you just mention a bird and there it is. It is good to be with someone so deeply acquainted with the countryside and all in it, and Dave has watched birds in this area since he was knee-high to a grasshopper warbler. Even so his enthusiasm and delight remain full-on and infectious, as also does his sense of humour. We had one moment of 'twitch,' looking for an American wigeon, a first for me; and he even let me find it!
A fabulous three days; not my first trip with Birding Ecosse and I shall be back for more.

Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

We returned for our third long weekend with Dave. Again he delivered on all aspects. It may be birding in the title but we wanted to watch an otter and he delivered!so enjoyable, so flexible, if you are interested in birds at any level this experience is highly recommended, whatever your level, you will learn, Dave is a natural teacher and an amazing source of knowledge.
We will definitely return for a fourth time!

Reviewed 15 October 2016

I was bought this experience for my 60th birthday by my children. We are enthusiastic about birds but know very little, Dave was friendly and patient with our lack of knowledge and found bar-tailed godwits on our first day out - a bird which I had wanted to see simply because I love the name! We had 3 fantastic days - great scenery, verbal wit and, of course, knowledge about the birds and the environment! Dave, how can you tell which bird it is when it just flies over in a flash! A great experience! Thank you. Julie and Alan

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

We booked our two days with Dave 3 months before our 5 week trip to the Highlands. Dave was near the end of our trip, and we had been birding constantly before meeting up with him.

Day 1: Dave was 5 minutes early for our pick up, and even arranged a personal errand for us into his schedule. As we drove, and Dave heard about where we had already been, his heart kind of sank, as many of those places were on his itinerary. Nevertheless, he managed to take us to many places we had not seen, and even took us back to places we had been, and found more than we ever did, or could.

The highlight of the two day outing was on day 2, the Red Kite feeding station. What a feast for the eyes, and my camera. It really was special.

After driving around Scotland for almost 4 weeks, Dave managed to explain most of what we had seen and not understood, traditions we would never have known about, bird habits and habitats, and so much more.

Dave has been a birder since the age of 7, and he has forgotten more than I will ever know. What a wonderful guide, conversationalist, and host. The coffee and biscuit breaks were all special, and we had quite a few.

If birding is your quest, do yourself a favor and hire Dave, you will not regret it.

2  Thank michaelcY9549PP