“A lovely place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Forres
Epsom, United Kingdom
“A lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Lovely character hotel - family run very welcoming easy to find and perfectly located for us - room was spacious warm and comfortable - everything you need plus extras like fudge !

Didnt have dinner but breakfas was great - everything you coukd want

Late check out was Happily agreed to so we could have lazy morning

Woukd stay again with no hesitation

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angela w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

What can I say,just returned from two wonderful pampered nights at cluny bank,a truly hidden gem.I have travelled the world and stayed in many 5 star hotels.This I rank right up there Firstly our hosts Lloyd & Julia.! Julia definitely has a sixth sense every time you walked in the main house she was there to cater to every need from making you a drink,to taking it into dinner for you,to answering any question,and although Lloyd is super chef Julias fudge that awaits you in your room deserves a huge mention like I said package and sell. .The food is to die for Lloyd clearly impressed my partner who himself is a chef trained in Italy, and his desserts WOW!! and its worth it just to have his huge enthusiastic description of each one obviously made with love. And breakfast beautiful fresh fruits ,cereals,juices,then fully cooked breakfast,best black pudding and sausages I've had,or porridge with honey and whisky,kippers,choice endless.Now for our room we stayed in Balchins Den a little annexe attatched to main house our own little haven and a little back door leading to our own enclosed walled garden with a chimenia ,wood ,matches ,table chairs, lanterns with candles,like I said every little detail covered.I can not emphasise enough if you find yourself going to Inverness ,Forres, Elgin, anywhere nearby it is well worth seeking out and a lovely 5 minute walk takes you to the little village,although I would gladly have stayed in my hideaway for 48 hours,Thankyou Lloyd& Julia we shall return.xx

Room Tip: Balchins Den.own little hideaway & Garden
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wildorchid1961
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The hotel is a gorgeous old granite building. The room is tastefully decorated and clean. We had the McGregor room which faces the garden/greenery. At dinner, we had the delicious tangy homemade tomato soup and fillet steak for the main course. The steak was done to perfection and served with a generous portion of side vegetables. For dessert, Lloyd, the owner/chef himself explained passionately every dessert that was on offer. The choice we made was the best dessert we'd had on our trip. Fresh strawberries and spiced rhubarb served with lavender ice-cream and a slice of beautiful homemade ginger shortbread. Lloyd who is very friendly & funny guy, is clearly very passionate about food and his cooking and as a result we had the most delicious dinner. The service during dinner was also superb! Breakfast was also top notch!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TuffKatz
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I was looking for a room in Aberdeen but due to the oil conference this hotel some 75 miles away was the closest but I wasn't disappointed!
On arrival we were greeted by the owner who very pleasant and helpful. The room was very comfortable and made a nice change from the rooms in larger chains.
We had a couple of drinks in the bar but walked to Forres to eat which was a pleasant stroll!
All round a friendly and pleasant stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel is run by a very engaging chef cum host. The room was excellent with pleasant views across the gardens. Some welcoming home made sweets and mineral water provided complimentary.

The menu for the evening meal was well explained by the chef and contained some combinations of food that I have not seen before. The cooking and service were excellent.

The breakfast also lived up to my now high expectations.

Very enjoyable and recommended.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Had they the availability I would have stayed longer!
Professional reception -I was expected paperwork and key prepared .
Escorted to my room with all amenities pointed out.
Excellent hospitality - food superb!
-And Locally sourced !
No complaints what ever
You pay for what you get plus you receive service with a smile and in addition a first rate chef !
Book ahead as always busy

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank NotFlyingToday
Orange County
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at Cluny Bank Hotel overnight as a little treat to ourselves while the kids were staying with their Grandparents and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lloyd and Julia were amazing hosts and we were properly looked after. Dinner was fantastic (even with a couple of other guests that didn't know how to use their 'inside voices') and the rooms and other guest areas were clean, smart and comfortable. If I was being really picky I would say that the breakfast wasn't quite up to scratch (appeared a bit heated up rather than fresh) but that might be just in comparison to the amazing dinner the night before!

That said, would definitely stay there again if we get the opportunity and have already recommended it to family and friends.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forres
Ramnee Hotel
#1 of 9 in Nairn
The Station Hotel
The Station Hotel
#1 of 2 in Rothes

Been to The Cluny Bank Hotel? Share your experiences!