“What a wonderful find”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Forres
North East England
“What a wonderful find”
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I needed to be in Forres on business and as they were no business traveller chains in the area I decided to take a chance on the Cluny Bank hotel. I am so glad I did. On arrival it has . An imposing Victorian facade. On I entering I was greeted by the owners and shown to my room, a single on the ground floor. The furniture was full of character and the room and ensuite immaculately clean. The real delight was the food. Lloyd the owner is a true genius with regards to food. I had the lamb cutlets truly a delight followed by deconstructed rhubarb crumble for dessert, a true masterpiece. Breakfast was another delight freshly cooked with locally sourced produce. Would I visit again when in the area? Absolutely!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MisterMJL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Once again we were not disappointed by our visit to the Cluny Bank Hotel. A favourite haunt for birthday treats; we were very excited to be going back. Julia immediately made us feel comfortable and welcome and, once in the restaurant, Shona was efficient and attentive in all the right measures. Lloyds wizardry in the kitchen brought forward food that left me searching the theasuraus for superlatives to describe the taste. Once every mouthful had been savoured and devoured, we eargerly awited the Chef's dessert narrative and, although narrowing it down to the final decisions were difficult, the choices we made lived up to the description and more.

We cannot thank Lloyd and Julia enough for making our birthday treat something so special and of course, we will be back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Haugesund, Norway
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of February. We were a large party staying together. The rooms are spotlessly clean, extremely well appointed and comfortable. We really appreciated the attention to detail, like homemade fudge on arrival, and complementary bottled water. Julia, our hostess was extremely accomodating, and was always on hand, be it to offer us extra tea at breakfast, or a late night drink in the bar. She is kindness itself! The little lounge bar is so cosy, and very well stocked. Breakfasts here are second to none. Homemade yoghurt, granola, fresh berries, wonderful homemade porridge with a tod of whisky, hot breakfast cooked to order...and what a delight to have linen napkins and tablecloths! I can thoroughly recommend dinner; there really is nowhere else in the Moray area that can offer the same standard of service or cuisine. We will definitely stay here the next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: we stayed in the Davies room. it is large, and very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
scotland
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed an excellent stay at this hotel.
Room was very spacious and fully equipped with all mod cons and free wifi.
Food in restaurant was excellent ( dinner and breakfast )
Would recommend this house hotel to anyone looking for quality accommodation and excellent food at reasonable prices.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Asheville
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had a lovely visit at the Cluny Bank Hotel. The owners were most attentive. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The building and grounds are beautiful. Franklin's Restaurant was excellent! My partner loved the local fish dishes that were specially prepared. The chef went out of his way to accommodate my vegetarian diet which was greatly appreciated. He always tried to make food that was different, exceptional and very pleasing to the palate. We highly recommend this special hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LAMiami
coleshill
Reviewed 30 December 2013

just got back we had a great time at the cluny bank hotel the staff were very attentive and could not do enough for us, we would recommend this hotel and we will go back again next year. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I can't praise this hotel highly enough. I had stayed in Forres about a year ago in a good but not outstanding hotel, so this time I decided to have a change. I was not disappointed. Friendly helpful staff and a warm welcome. I stayed in the McGregor room which was spacious, warm and comfortable. The evening meal was superb, better than I was expecting, having been disappointed before with the meals provided by some Scottish hotels. I love nouvelle cuisine and the portion sizes were just right for me but if you want large portions you might not be happy. The quality was excellent although a little on the pricy side. Cluny Bank excelled themselves with my breakfast. I had to get a very early train from Inverness so I normally would have missed breakfast. However I was told that I could have breakfast at 6-30 am if that was alright with my timings. It is so rare to have service like this. I really wish that I could have spent more time here. Don't miss it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forres
Ramnee Hotel
Golf View Hotel & Spa
Craigellachie Hotel
Craigellachie Hotel
#1 of 1 in Craigellachie

Been to The Cluny Bank Hotel? Share your experiences!