“Service and food”
Review of Ramnee Hotel

Ramnee Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Forres
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Staff are always very friendly and helpful. They take their time and explain the menu if wanted. They give you plenty of time to select from the menu and bring drinks to the table. Food very good and not a long wait for it. Menu changes regularly so not boring.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Great location next to Forres with excellent food and service. Staff are friendly, helpful and welcoming. Its a relaxed place with lovely grounds. Rooms vary but I found my room had poor soundproofing so I could easily hear the details of conversation next door at midnight and the TV from the other side. It needs better soundproofing . I showed a staff member to make my point and I was moved to a bigger room upstairs the next day. This room was better in every way so I was happier. Hopefully this problem will be addressed now I have made them aware.

Room Tip: Choose a upstairs room with soundproofing between the walls.
1  Thank alanflow
Reviewed 12 February 2013

The service from everyone here was excellent, personal and accommodating. Our business meeting various setups, menus and schedules were handled competently and without hesitation. For 3 nights running, our menu required fish dishes and a variety of vegetables. The selection of fish and the taste, presentation and portion sizes were excellent.

Room Tip: room 215 is at the front garden corner, is quiet and overlooks the drive and small hill across the s...
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I stayed three nights at the Ramnee last week for a conference. I was on my own and at first I was offered a fairly small draughty room. When I asked to be moved, I was immediately given a larger and more comfortable room. This particular room was over the main hallway (as are several of the rooms) but I was hardly disturbed by that. The food was plentiful, varied and good and the service was excellent. The hotel staff were always very helpful and nothing we asked for was too much trouble. It is for this reason that I felt I would like to write a review.

1  Thank Judy619
Reviewed 30 January 2013

for service and friendliness hard to beat.
decent sized room, very clen, friendly staff and great food.
Even when we came for dinner and then lunch at just before last orders it was service with a smile all the way. Great Highland Hospitality.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Stayed over at the Ramnee Hotel during our Christmas party night with our work on the 22nd December.

From check-in till we left the next morning we were delighted with the superb & friendly attitude from all the staff we dealt with. The room we were allocated was on the smaller side but was more than adequate, clean & nicely decorated for the character of the hotel and building. Our party night involved about 14 people to which we had a great party night, thanks for that also.

Special thanks go to the bar staff on the evening of the party & to the night porter whom had to put up with some cheek & banter from our group, till the early hours before we all had to retire to our beds, happy from our nights endeavours.....

Breakfast next morning was excellent, freshly cooked to order & delicious.

Although our party was a late booking, the hotel accommodated our needs perfectly & would recommend the hotel to anyone whom will listen.

As we live in the NE area, I have passed the hotel many times, always thought it a looked a lovely hotel from the outside but we was pleasantly surprised about the character & style of the hotel inside. It really is a beautiful period building.

Thanks again for a great party night & stay over, thanks again to all the staff & we may see you again next year... If you will have the Scot Gas party back?

Room Tip: If available, ask for the 4-poster bedroom, beautiful room & very spacious. Sadly I didn't g...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights while on a business stop over. When I arrived I checked in and headed straight to the bar to order food as it was close to last ordering time. The receptionist was friendly and helpful.
The Sirloin steak was great, and just what I needed after a day’s work and travel, and with the chunky chips, onion rings and peppercorn sauce it was just right to fill me up and soak up the alcohol being consumed. I am not a big eater and would think that those who have a better ability to pack away the food might feel they could manage more.

I had a single course plus a number of Bacardi and cokes and it still came to under £30. The waiting staff were great and even though they had a large works night out in the next room, there was always someone at the bar to make sure my glass was topped up.
Even with the works night out going on in the next room. While I could here the music and the general noise from conversations, the noise was by no means overwhelming, and I was able to sit in the bar and finish off work without disturbance.
I headed up to my room which was nice and warm, while the bedroom was generally finished in keeping with the period of the room, there was a new style wardrobe in the room which stood out. The bathroom was small and had seen better days, it wasn't unclean just could have benefited from some TLC.
I willed myself out of bed in time for breakfast, which I always feel no matter where you stay always finishes too early, and getting down stairs for 9:30am was a pain as I did not need to be out until after 12pm. There were plenty of options available for breakfast, however the breakfast did not meet the same standards as dinner the night before.
The second night after spending the day at a conference where everything on offer was either vegetarian or vegan, I was looking forward to another hearty steak. I chose the rump steak as I thought two sirloins in a row would be pushing it. Wasn't a fan of the rump but this could have been me, as the rest of the meal was as good as the night before, again another works night out, and again great service at the bar. Even asked by one member of staff how my conference had gone.
After another few drinks I headed up to the room planning on getting myself up for breakfast the next morning, however deciding not to set my alarm I found myself waking just before check out, and after packing and getting myself ready to hit the road, was a good half hour late in checking out. I did expect a maid to appear at some point in the typical hurry up hint, but this never came and when I went down to check out and apologize I was told it was no worry.
I will be back up in this neck of the woods a couple of times a year and will be looking forward to returning to the Ramnee Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
GarryDinnes, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2012

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Ramnee. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. kind regards Garry W Dinnes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Forres
Knockomie Hotel
#3 of 7 in Elgin
Newton Muthu Hotel
Newton Muthu Hotel
#3 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Ramnee Hotel? Share your experiences!