“Better on the outside”

Ramnee Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Forres
“Better on the outside”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Second stay at the Ramnee , its just ok . The price is comparative to a night at a malmaison but not even slightly in the same league . The staff are friendly enough and the food is fine but the rooms are a big let down .. its like staying at your grans , its very 1970s , and probably not been touched since .We stayed in a superior room overlooking the front garden , but the wallparer was hanging off obviously due to damp . Bathroom was old and the shower was poor , setting was hot or hotter .. if the place had a serious makeover it would be worth another look ..... but not at that price ...

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank poll007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Ireland
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Nice staff and service but the rooms are very tired, outdated and really needs renovating- especially for charging £130 per night. Definitely not worth this. Would not stay again due to poor value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ciara36
Reviewed 2 July 2013

we have had a lovely stay at the Ramnee Hotel, it was a very busy weekend at this time, however the staff made our stay very pleasant, the rooms we had were comfortable good beds very clean with lots of extras provided. The food was very good, wonderful menu in the evening the breakfast was exceptional lots of it.The most important part of this hotel is the family involvement from the owners the staff are charming and helpful in every way. We had 9 in our party all family no complaints all delighted with the Ramnee we thoroughly recommend this fabulous hotel

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Went to the Ramnee for lunch. Lovely location which really typifies the Highland coast. The gardens are beautifully kept and the setting is wonderful. The food is excellent both in taste and quality. There is a variety of food which is well priced. The hotel interior is a little run down, however, it adds to the charm.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed in the Ramnee for a short break. We were most impressed from start to finish. All staff couldn't do enough to help make our stay first class. They always greeted us with a smile and were very friendly and helpful with our toddler. The meals were exceptional with an extensive menu. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

My partner & I stayed here last night. We had a lovely clean room, the bed was very comfy & we also had a bath & a shower which were spotless. The staff were lovely & very helpful. The breakfast was well presented & tasty, my partner had the full Scottish & I had eggs on toast which were poached perfect. My only gripe was that I never slept at all because of the heat in our room. I called the night porter at 3am for a fan which he took up but it never really helped. When I mentioned this in the morning to the receptionist she called the manager who came down to ask what the problem was. I explained that I hardly slept at all because of the heat but because no one has complained about the heat before he never took my complaint seriously. He asked me what he was expected to do about it & I suggested that a proper fan should be placed in that room (the fan I was given wasn't that great). I was made to feel that I was just trying to get money off the room which made me feel terrible. I don't know if it was the way my partner & I were dressed (jeans & t-shirt) while everyone else were quite suited & booted, maybe.
I've worked in the hospitality industry for 20 years & just because someone complains about something that has never been complained about before doesn't mean there isn't a problem.
As I said before though, everything else was fantastic apart from the fact I never slept well.
(It was room 203 by the way)

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ainsley R
Huntly, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The good thing about this hotel is the food, which is excellent.
Otherwise, for the price they ask for a double room, £130, it is very disappionting. The hotel is tired and in need of an upgrade. Our room decor was very old and tired, with torn wallpaper, old headboard, old curtains, and not the best bathroom in the world. In here, there is an old Mitre shower (with no power what so ever), black gunk all round the grouting in the tiles, the plughole and the overflow hole in the sink were full of disgusting gunk. The heater that is in the bathroom is so old, it looks like it would go on fire if you switched it on, which it might have done before, as the paint is all chipping off and looks a bit singed. Our bed was 2 singles shoved together to make a double, which is never the comfiest to sleep on. And don't expect much on the courtesy tray in the room, there is no flavoured teas ect, or hot chocolate.
This hotel needs to drop it's rates, or up it's standards to the 5* prices it likes to charge.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laurie Anne S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forres
Knockomie Hotel
#3 of 9 in Nairn
Mansion House
Mansion House
#3 of 7 in Elgin

Been to Ramnee Hotel? Share your experiences!