Ramnee Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sunny Brae(Nairn)
View Hotel
All reviewsbar foodparty nightlovely groundsold victorianhotel is in a great locationonly gripehis teamlocal hotelgrant parksuperior roomfront lawnbit datedfour poster bedroom was largeboth nightsfood is excellentfindhorn bay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here on business. Firstly, don't expect to get ANY work done as the internet connection is utterly rubbish. It is a lovely old building but the room walls are wafer thin in places, which unless you enjoy your neighbour's snoring is not good for a night's sleep. I found one male member of staff, a southern chap who was quite rude, condescending and conceited – not a pleasant atmosphere created by him at all. The bar area is very gloomy and the décor quite dreary. The room I had was very small at the top of the stairs, where the noise from below in the reception area echoes up. The bathroom is very old fashioned and the shower was just a joke – it hardly dribbles out. In the room there was two doors, one of which would not shut properly and rattled all night (I had to prop it shut with the chair). Sorry but this room was cold too. On a good note, the food is first class and the service from the bar staff very good. On looking through the other comments on Trip Advisor, the responses by the owner to complaints are quite amusing and very defensive, which is possibly part of the problem as before you can improve on a matter you must accept there are failings.

Room Tip: Ask for one NOT near the reception area!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mercedesmadman
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Attended a function at the hotel and booked a room to stay overnight with my husband. As I had special dietary requirements I phoned the hotel and discussed this with them (vegtarian with a severe allergy to mushrooms and the main course was mushroom risotto with spinach and goats cheese in a creamy sauce) and was assured that there were always vegetarian options on their menu and something would be sorted out when I booked in. The room for 2 B&B cost £108. Our friends who booked by internet got their room for £100. The room we had was down a dark corridor (the only light I could find was at the other end!) it was tiny and bitterly cold. A dimplex heater had been put in the room as it was obvious the central heating radiator was not working. When I switched the heater on the smell was terrible. After seeing our friends room (much much larger and so much warmer) we complained and were put into another room which was better except for the peeling wallpaper, no heated towel rail etc etc.

I was advised that I could have the mushroom risotto without mushrooms and this was acceptable. However I did foolishly think that something would be put in place of the mushrooms - wrong! What I got was a plate of tasteless over cooked rice with some spinach and a piece of goats cheese on top. It reminded me of the colour and consistency of wallpaper paste. The sorbet with the melon started was good though.

Before leaving we spoke to the receptionist to make our points known - no apology only that the heating issue would be noted and she would speak to chef re the meal.

The staff throughout the hotel were excellent however not likely to return or recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Book over the internet its cheaper and seemingly you get a better room!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gorgiegal
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Ramnee Hotel for at least one week every year for the last 10.
It provides excellent hospitality, large comfortable rooms, excellent cuisine and ample parking
facilities. Meals in either the bar or main dining room can be from the same menu and both are
very relaxing surroundings. In each of our visits, every member of staff has been extremely helpful, welcoming and courteous. Nothing is too much trouble for them. At busy periods, when
they host weddings everyone, including managers, pitches in and they work as a close team.
Views from the front bedrooms overlook the tree clad Cluny Hill .

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front, overlooking the gardens and with a view of Cluny Hill
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My family were looking for places to stay in or around Elgin and we settled on this one mainly due to the pictures provided on their webpage.

We arrived, the place looked brilliant, we were welcomed warmly and the bar looked inviting. We were then shown to our rooms as expected however what we weren't prepared for was to be taken downstairs, walk past the toilets and cleaners cupboard in order to get to our room. We probably wouldn't have noticed except that the gents door was propped open and there was a bit of a smell. It felt like we were 2nd rate guests being shoved out of the way as there was only one other room down stairs.

That negative aside, the hotel had a good atmosphere and there was always people in the bar chatting. We also decided to have an evening meal there and all i can say is that being a bit more expensive than i normally would pay for an evening meal, the quality was excellent and the quantity wasn't bad at all.

Overall the hotel was nicely decorated, the garden was well kept but unfortunately the room location let this visit down, i haven't been put off going back but i would definitely be making sure that we did not get put in the same room again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank macmcdade
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed in the Ramnee Hotel whilst in Forres on a business trip and found it to be a nice hotel, with friendly staff. It was cosy which is what I was looking for and the food was delicious. The room was clean, tidy and cosy and did everything it should do. The décor was ok - the curtains in my room didn't match the rest of the décor at all for example - and whilst it certainly didn't detract from my stay, it did make the room look a little more run down than it was. The bathroom was clean and warm but again could do with being updated. Some of my colleagues had issues with the showers not working well but mine was absolutely fine. My room was quite close to the hotel's toilets and there was an unfortunate smell emanating a few times as I walked past to get to my room but this was probably more to do with those visiting the toilet, Perhaps if they were closer to the front of the hotel this would minimise the impact of guests with a sensitive nose.

All in I enjoyed my stay and it was a work trip so I wasn't expecting a stunning hotel. It's perhaps a tad overpriced given the standard of room you can get in Glasgow for not much more.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business