“Could not ask for better!”
Review of Ramnee Hotel

Ramnee Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Forres
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We held our Company dinner dance here on the 8th Feb 2014 and from the onset, the communication, menu options, staff etc were second to none and the night went without a hitch, waiting & bar staff were superb, food was magnificent and that's coming from a party of 65. So thank you again Ramnee Hotel

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Had dinner here Saturday 8th February with my wife.
Very dated restaurant,no atmosphere what so ever. Pleasant but slow service possibly due to function elsewhere in the hotel. The food is good bar food at best. Would not rush back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We chose the Ramnee based on its proximity to the homes of the Scottish contingent of the family. What a result!
Everyone from the Night Porter to the cheery chamber maid delivered genuine good humoured rock solid customer service.
The food was, yes I will use the word - sublime. Everything we had requested was provided with panache from Martin the chef and his team who went to great lengths to deliver our rather eclectic menu just as we had requested. We had a fantastic wedding which was everything we had hoped for and more.
We had a small private room for our evening ceremony and for the meal. Staff went to great lengths to decorate the room beautifully, and the service was discreet but excellent.
In case anyone thinks this is an 'over the top' review, I work in a high level position for a large restaurant group, and am not easily impressed - well done Ramnee and all the staff

Room Tip: Superior rooms are really good
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracey P
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We were visiting Forres at the end of November beginning of December as we have done in the past but was so disappointed this year particularly with the large bar area, in the past there has been a large open fire blazing but this year the area was really cold and I had to ask them to light the fire (not the open fire as in the past but a small coal fire which would have been better suited in my lounge at home). However on the plus side, our room was large and lovely and warm as always and our en suite was fine with plenty hot water and a fairly powerful shower. The rooms are in need of some redecoration but the Ramnee is a beautiful old building so any redecoration should be kept in the style. I would prefer some 'simple' bar supper menu choices instead of having the same menu for the dining room and the bar. There were no Christmas decorations either which was disappointing at that time of year.

Room Tip: Room 205 is quiet, I have been in that room when there's been a function downstairs and have hea...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here on business. Firstly, don't expect to get ANY work done as the internet connection is utterly rubbish. It is a lovely old building but the room walls are wafer thin in places, which unless you enjoy your neighbour's snoring is not good for a night's sleep. I found one male member of staff, a southern chap who was quite rude, condescending and conceited – not a pleasant atmosphere created by him at all. The bar area is very gloomy and the décor quite dreary. The room I had was very small at the top of the stairs, where the noise from below in the reception area echoes up. The bathroom is very old fashioned and the shower was just a joke – it hardly dribbles out. In the room there was two doors, one of which would not shut properly and rattled all night (I had to prop it shut with the chair). Sorry but this room was cold too. On a good note, the food is first class and the service from the bar staff very good. On looking through the other comments on Trip Advisor, the responses by the owner to complaints are quite amusing and very defensive, which is possibly part of the problem as before you can improve on a matter you must accept there are failings.

Room Tip: Ask for one NOT near the reception area!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mercedesmadman
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Attended a function at the hotel and booked a room to stay overnight with my husband. As I had special dietary requirements I phoned the hotel and discussed this with them (vegtarian with a severe allergy to mushrooms and the main course was mushroom risotto with spinach and goats cheese in a creamy sauce) and was assured that there were always vegetarian options on their menu and something would be sorted out when I booked in. The room for 2 B&B cost £108. Our friends who booked by internet got their room for £100. The room we had was down a dark corridor (the only light I could find was at the other end!) it was tiny and bitterly cold. A dimplex heater had been put in the room as it was obvious the central heating radiator was not working. When I switched the heater on the smell was terrible. After seeing our friends room (much much larger and so much warmer) we complained and were put into another room which was better except for the peeling wallpaper, no heated towel rail etc etc.

I was advised that I could have the mushroom risotto without mushrooms and this was acceptable. However I did foolishly think that something would be put in place of the mushrooms - wrong! What I got was a plate of tasteless over cooked rice with some spinach and a piece of goats cheese on top. It reminded me of the colour and consistency of wallpaper paste. The sorbet with the melon started was good though.

Before leaving we spoke to the receptionist to make our points known - no apology only that the heating issue would be noted and she would speak to chef re the meal.

The staff throughout the hotel were excellent however not likely to return or recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Book over the internet its cheaper and seemingly you get a better room!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gorgiegal
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Ramnee Hotel for at least one week every year for the last 10.
It provides excellent hospitality, large comfortable rooms, excellent cuisine and ample parking
facilities. Meals in either the bar or main dining room can be from the same menu and both are
very relaxing surroundings. In each of our visits, every member of staff has been extremely helpful, welcoming and courteous. Nothing is too much trouble for them. At busy periods, when
they host weddings everyone, including managers, pitches in and they work as a close team.
Views from the front bedrooms overlook the tree clad Cluny Hill .

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front, overlooking the gardens and with a view of Cluny Hill
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forres
Knockomie Hotel
#3 of 7 in Elgin
Dowans Hotel
Dowans Hotel
#1 of 1 in Aberlour

Been to Ramnee Hotel? Share your experiences!